Chris

Default REgions?

Would a car radio bought in say, America or asia work in Europe??

Spike

I don't think so UNLESS you have a switch which allows you to select
where you are. It's the same as with television. There are several
broadcast systems, of which two of the primary are PAL and NTSA (not
sure the letters are correct on the latter one). A TV for one won't
work with the other because the frequencies used are different. Just a
side note, what we call HDTV, the Europeans have had that for decades
using their system. Their colors etc are far better than our system.

A US radio, instead of picking up your typical radio fare, might, were
it not for encryption, start picking up military communications, or
whatever. The same thing is reversed using a euro radio in the states.

Some radios made to be useable no matter where they are shipped to
generally have a switch which allows selection, and the switch is
usually set by the manufacturer for the destination it's being shipped
to.

Having a switch allows the manufacturer to avoid having two totally
separate lines, and if they have a shortage for a needed shipment,
they can take from one, flip the switch, and add it to the shipment
they need to fill.

As for home products, you run into a double whammy. Not only are the
frequencies different, but the electrical is different as well.
Universal televisions would actually have two switches. One for the
frequency range, and one for the electrical system.

My home in the Azores Islands had a power supply converter attached
where local power came in, thus I could use US appliances. And under
the Status of Forces Agreement with Portugal, the military had an
Armed Forces Radio and Television Service broadcast station which gave
us one channel TV, and one radio station. In Japan, it was the same as
the USA. Lots to watch... little to understand... Funny watching Hoss
Cartwright get off his horse and speak in Japanese. : )

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 23:21:34 +0100, "Chris" wrote:

Would a car radio bought in say, America or asia work in Europe??

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
I.Care

says...
I don't think so UNLESS you have a switch which allows you to select
where you are. It's the same as with television. There are several
broadcast systems, of which two of the primary are PAL and NTSA (not
sure the letters are correct on the latter one).

SNIP

Close enough! NTSA National Transportation & Safety Administration

According to:
http://www.world-import.com/the_chart.htm

NTSC=National Television System Committee
NTSC runs on 525 lines/frame
The first color TV broadcast system was implemented in the United States
in 1953. It is used in many countries on the American continent and
many Asian countries including Japan.

PAL=Phase Alternating Line
PAL runs on 625 lines/frame
introduced in the early 1960's and implemented in most European
countries except for France

SECAM=Sequential Couleur Avec Memoire or Sequential Colour with Memory
SECAM runs on 625 lines/frame
introduced in the early 1960's and implemented in France

:-)

--
I.Care
Address fake
Spike

There ya go... Been so long since I lived over there I for got what it
was. NTSA.... Most of the NGs I am in are classic Mustang related. LOL
: )

And it figures France would do their own thing.... another LOL But I
saw what the had for a picture and it was fantastic compared to ours.

Wonder what they are doing now that the Euros are all supposed to be
on the same page... except driving difference between England and
Europe.

When we lived in Scotland, we didn't even have TV due to the cost of
the license etc. But when we first arrived and just before leaving, we
stayed in a boarding house that had one.... coin operated.... with a
basket of coins on top, ready for people to run forward and throw in
another coin when the screen suddenly when blank in the middle of a
show. (That was back in 1959-60).

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 18:16:48 -0700, I.Care wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

AntiSpammer

pioneer from USA = yes
all HU from other parts of Asia = yes

all HU from Japan = nope, japan is the only oddball having 76mhz-90mhz

you will need to get this converter, tested and proven on a japanese set.

http://www.edl.co.nz