Mike

Default "Multi-client" MIDI?

Hello,

I have a P4 system running Sonar 3, Reason, Recycle, Project 5, etc.
I'm using a Roland D50 as my controller, and my sound card is an RME
Multiface, which as a single hardware MIDI in/out. My problem is that
when I have 2 or more apps open (for instance, Reason rewired into
Sonar), whichever app was open first monopolizes MIDI control, so that
I get the following error when launching Reason, if Sonar was open
first:

"MIDI input problem. One or several of the MIDI inputs could not be
opened.., blah, blah, blah."

I can assign and route audio channels to my heart's content in the
Multiface, but I can't find any way to control soft-synths in multiple
apps at the same time. My ideal situation is to have Reason rewired
into Sonar, and be able to compose in both environments at the same
time (vox, guitars, etc. in Sonar and synths, drums, etc. in Reason).
Of course, I know that I can access the individual Reason instruments
in Sonar, but I've gotten very accustomed to the Reason interface and
can compose in it very quickly, and there are definitely advantages
for me, personally, to do so.

I've looked in the Reason admin interface and can't find anything that
looks like it would allow me to specify different MIDI ports for
Reason. I've just gotten Sonar 3 Producer Edition and haven't really
had much time to play with it and search for this feature there.
Someone on another NG told me he thought there were freeware programs
that basically act as a software MIDI cable, allowing you to split and
route the signal, but I couldn't find anything when I did a Google
search for it.

Any help anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Mike

killermike

In article ,
says...
Hello,

I have a P4 system running Sonar 3, Reason, Recycle, Project 5, etc.
I'm using a Roland D50 as my controller, and my sound card is an RME
Multiface, which as a single hardware MIDI in/out. My problem is that
when I have 2 or more apps open (for instance, Reason rewired into
Sonar), whichever app was open first monopolizes MIDI control, so that
I get the following error when launching Reason, if Sonar was open
first:

There is a good piece of freeware entitled Hubi's Midi Loopback
http://members.nextra.at/hubwin/midi.html

It sets up some 'dummy' midi devices that are all multi client. You can
connect multiple inputs or outputs to these devices or use one to route
the output of one program into the input of another.

You could use another piece of freeware like MidiOX
http://www.midiox.com/
to pipe your midi in (from the d50) to one of the Hubi virtual midi
devices. You can then allow whatever programs you like to connect to the
virtual midi device as their input.

An alternative would be to select one of the Hubi devices as the output
of Reason and a select that device as an the input in Sonar (I suppose,
I don't have those pieces of software).

One word of warning. Make sure that you don't accidently set up a 'midi
feedback loop' when using one of these virtual midi cable drivers. By
default, some sequencer programs will grab all available midi inputs and
outputs. In this scenario you might cause a note to leave through the
midi out of the virtual device and return via the midi in of the virtual
device and then around and around etc. This can crash windows. Disable
inputs and outputs in your sequencer software if you are not actually
using them.

Good look with this.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
www.unmusic.co.uk