Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Default Recovering Audio from CD with no PRE TOC and no TOC

OK lets go over this again..

The normal procedure is to hit record....record your audio, hit stop,
at which time a PRE TOC is written, then at the end of all sessions
you "finalize" the CD at which point a TOC is written. Now it is easy
to recover the audio if there is a pre TOC but no TOC i.e. a disc
where recording was stopped normally but was not finalized.

Now I have a CD that was being recorded and the power was pulled
before the stop button was pressed so there is no PRE TOC and no TOC.
The audio is there of course. Now I am not in a panic because I
used a procedure to recover the audio. The procedure is to record
another dummy disc with a full track of audio, hit stop so that a pre
TOC is written onto the dummy disc. Then I take that dummy disc,
load it into my playback machine (Phillips CDR560) and let it read
the pre TOC off the dummy disc. The pre TOC tells the machine that
the disc has a full track of audio. Then I carefully and slowly pry
open the door (shudder) and replace the dummy disc with the bad disc.
I can then play the audio on the bad disc using the pre TOC from the
dummy disc and recover the audio and record it to another machine.
OK fine I am able to recover the lost audio from a disc with no TOC
and no PRE TOC this way and I have done it successfully a few times.
This makes me happy and able to sleep well at night.

So I have a good procedure for this... but I am looking for a better
one. I don't want to have to pry open the door.

I tried using ISObuster but I could not get it to work. ISO sees any
tracks on the disc that have a pre TOC but is does not see tracks
without a PRE TOC. Even if a add another small track and pre TOC, it
still does not see the non pre-toc track. If I understand
correctly ,ISObuster needs the pre TOC. Is that correct?

This must be a common problem and there must be a better way to
resolve it.

So my question.....is there a more elegant way to recover audio from a
disc with no TOC and no PRE TOC? i.e. from a disc that was being
recorded when the power was suddenly lost.

thanks

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

So I have a good procedure for this... but I am looking for a better
one. I don't want to have to pry open the door.

I'm not trying to be funny when I suggest that the swap might be easier if
you removed the unit's top cover.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mark" wrote in message

The normal procedure is to hit record....record your
audio, hit stop, at which time a PRE TOC is written, then
at the end of all sessions you "finalize" the CD at which
point a TOC is written. Now it is easy to recover the
audio if there is a pre TOC but no TOC i.e. a disc where
recording was stopped normally but was not finalized.

Seriously, what I do when I *have* to record a CD-R of a live performance,
is to make a safety recording in some other format. At church, the other
format is DVD-R video. At festivals, the other format is a Microtrack which
runs on AC power, but has a built in battery that runs for another 2 or more
hours if power goes down.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"jakdedert" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

The normal procedure is to hit record....record your
audio, hit stop, at which time a PRE TOC is written,
then at the end of all sessions you "finalize" the CD
at which point a TOC is written. Now it is easy to
recover the audio if there is a pre TOC but no TOC i.e.
a disc where recording was stopped normally but was not
finalized.

Seriously, what I do when I *have* to record a CD-R of a
live performance, is to make a safety recording in some
other format. At church, the other format is DVD-R
video. At festivals, the other format is a Microtrack
which runs on AC power, but has a built in battery that
runs for another 2 or more hours if power goes down.

I try to record everything to a hard disk before I ever
start burning....

At church I could do that, as the equipment is there. But it is nice to
finalize the disc, slip it into my pocket, and leave and hang out with
friends a few minutes after the service.

At the festivals, we deliver the recording within 15 minutes of the end of
the performance. Yeah, we could burn off the hard drive, but this gives us
more slack time to do crazy things like john breaks, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

At the festivals, we deliver the recording within 15 minutes of the end of
the performance. Yeah, we could burn off the hard drive, but this gives us
more slack time to do crazy things like john breaks, etc.

You're an animal.

--Fletch
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Norbert Hahn Norbert Hahn is offline

Mark wrote:

OK lets go over this again..

The normal procedure is to hit record....record your audio, hit stop,
at which time a PRE TOC is written, then at the end of all sessions
you "finalize" the CD at which point a TOC is written. Now it is easy
to recover the audio if there is a pre TOC but no TOC i.e. a disc
where recording was stopped normally but was not finalized.

Now I have a CD that was being recorded and the power was pulled
before the stop button was pressed so there is no PRE TOC and no TOC.
The audio is there of course.

Some (most?) Philips and Marantz CD recorders can recover CDs without
Pretoc. When power returns the recorders checks for a failed recording
and starts to read the CD until reading fails. This is used as end-of-
disk and the recorder builds a TOC from that.
As I never had a power failure I don't know if the recorder requires
that you press Finalize or if you have the option to continue the
recording.

Norbert
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 06:44:18 -0800 (PST), Mark
wrote:

So I have a good procedure for this... but I am looking for a better
one. I don't want to have to pry open the door.

I tried using ISObuster but I could not get it to work.

I know nothing about this problem, but as a Hail Mary, you
might try to read the disc with a burning program. I've
seen EZCD Creator Ver 3.something read commercial (pressed)
CD's with mechanically damaged TOC's (concentric circular
scratches - don't ask) and successfully recreate the music
on a new disc.

Good fortune, and much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's 90% boilerplate, 1% real work, 9% WTF?"
-Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kurt Riemann Kurt Riemann is offline

Didn't Rail Jon Rogut have a little proggie for this?

I'm almost certain you can google it with his name.

Kurt RIemann

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,rec.music.classical

Default Robert Morein, dishonest

More disgusting bird-droppings from the buzzard.
Wipe it off quickly before it dries.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,rec.music.classical
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Mar 4, 3:00*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
More disgusting bird-droppings from the buzzard.
Wipe it off quickly before it dries.

Which, as it happens, some of us see only if the Buzzard gets the
attention of others - which it so desperately craves.

Please ignore this crap so those of us who have killfiled the entire
Roberts Morein coterie don't have to be annoyed with it.

Thank you!

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA