jeff rowland

Default No sound in receiver. Amplifier protection circuitry might be activated. How do I deactivate??

Have lost sound in front speaker of receiver. Have sound out of same
speaker in center and surround sound speaker hookups.

Have tried the troubleshooting steps in the manual. One steps says no
sound could be cause by amplifier protection circuitry has been
activated - Contact your Onkyo service Center.

Does anyone know what I might be able to do to deactivate the
protection circuitry?
Gib Bogle

jeff rowland wrote:

Have lost sound in front speaker of receiver. Have sound out of same
speaker in center and surround sound speaker hookups.

Have tried the troubleshooting steps in the manual. One steps says no
sound could be cause by amplifier protection circuitry has been
activated - Contact your Onkyo service Center.

Does anyone know what I might be able to do to deactivate the
protection circuitry?

You'd better find out why it blew.

Gib

John A. Weeks III

In article , jeff
rowland wrote:

Have lost sound in front speaker of receiver. Have sound out of same
speaker in center and surround sound speaker hookups.

Have tried the troubleshooting steps in the manual. One steps says no
sound could be cause by amplifier protection circuitry has been
activated - Contact your Onkyo service Center.

Does anyone know what I might be able to do to deactivate the
protection circuitry?

The protection circuitry might have tripped for a valid reason,
such as a blown speaker or a shorted speaker wire. Try unhooking
the center speaker, and connecting one of the known good rear
speakers in its place. If that fixes the problem, then you know
you have a problem with your center speaker or its wiring.

If your receiver has test tones built in, use them to test the
center speaker. I recently went around in circles trying to get
my center speaker to work, only to find that an RCA plug had
come loose on my DVD player. The speaker worked when I ran the
test tones, which gave me the clue that I needed to check my
signal sources.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Mark D. Zacharias

Defeating the protection would be a _really_ moronic thing to do. The
protection circuit exists mainly to protect your speakers in the event of a
receiver malfunction. Besides, one would need a service manual just to
figure
out how to "defeat" it.

1. TURN VOLUME DOWN.
2. Make sure you don't have a "tape monitor" engaged. Often there would be a
display indicator of this - it might light up and say "tape" or "tape 2" or
the like. Also makes sure someone didn't turn off the speakers via the front
panel switches.

3. Disconnect all the speaker wires from the receiver and see if the unit
appears to work. Since yours doesn't appear to shut down or say PROTECT or
some such on the display, you can try a pair of headphones to see if the amp
is putting out sound.

If these steps don't help, it's time to get it to a shop, or if it's a
"mid-fi" unit you might consider replacement instead.

Mark Z.

"jeff rowland" wrote in message
om...
Have lost sound in front speaker of receiver. Have sound out of same
speaker in center and surround sound speaker hookups.

Have tried the troubleshooting steps in the manual. One steps says no
sound could be cause by amplifier protection circuitry has been
activated - Contact your Onkyo service Center.

Does anyone know what I might be able to do to deactivate the
protection circuitry?

David Wood

Defeating the protection would be a _really_ moronic thing to do. The
protection circuit exists mainly to protect your speakers in the event of a
receiver malfunction. Besides, one would need a service manual just to
figure
out how to "defeat" it.

snip

not to mention that it protects the receiver itself from further damage,
or any damage at all caused by things like shorted speaker terminals.

to the original poster:

the protection circutry in the receiver is similar to the fuses or
breakers in your house. Would you purposely defeat them just becuase
they are blowing, and even worse, without even bothering to find out WHY
they are blowing?
jriegle

I fixed a Sony receiver for a friend where the protection circuitry was on.
It turns out both output transistors were a dead short, a resistor was blown
out on one side and there was a swollen electrolytic capacitor.

If your sure there is no shorted strands of speaker wire, or the speaker
winding is shorted from overheating, something inside the amp is cooked.
John

"jeff rowland" wrote in message
om...
Have lost sound in front speaker of receiver. Have sound out of same
speaker in center and surround sound speaker hookups.

Have tried the troubleshooting steps in the manual. One steps says no
sound could be cause by amplifier protection circuitry has been
activated - Contact your Onkyo service Center.

Does anyone know what I might be able to do to deactivate the
protection circuitry?

Jerry G.

Something like a speaker connection, or a speaker driver has become shorted,
or the set was driven too hard, and the output stage overloaded.

First try disconnecting the speakers, and see if the protection is still
activated when the power is put on with no speakers connected. If so, there
is some damage. You can open the lid to see if there are any fuses blown.
If you replace any blown fuse(s), and they blow again, this means that
something has failed in the set. If so, you will have to send it out for
service, unless you are properly trained, and equipped to service it.

In most cases, when this type of fault occurs, the output transistors or
devices are usually blown. Some support components, and the drivers to these
devices may also be damaged in most cases.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com