Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] iwantitNOSPAM@earthlink.net is offline

Default Audio Cassette Repair

I need to know if anybody knows where I can get a 1/8 inch Editall (or
similar) splicing block either new or in good condition.

Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

I would try eBay.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
I need to know if anybody knows where I can get a 1/8 inch Editall (or
similar) splicing block either new or in good condition.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] iwantitNOSPAM@earthlink.net is offline

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't find one there.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 02:42:05 -0400, "JANA"

I would try eBay.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Jun 19, 4:43*pm, wrote:
I need to know if anybody knows where I can get a 1/8 inch Editall (or
similar) splicing block either new or in good condition.

Thanks

________________

I've had no problem doing it myself.

1. Isolate the damaged area of tape.

2. Cut out the damaged section by making a 45 deg cut 1/2 inch to
either side of it.

3. Put the damaged cassette aside for a moment, and cut yourself a
small sliver of Scotch brand invisible tape(preferably the glossy
type, which is smoother and will negotiate the capstans & heads). The
piece should be no longer than 1/3" and slightly less than 1/8" thick
- remember what it's being used to hold together here.

4. Line up both 45deg ends of the tape as evenly as possible and hold
on a clean surface(blank piece of paper or clean cloth), and gingerly
place the piece of invisible tape over the splice. Press down firmly
to seal the splice in place - DON'T rub!! Flip over the splice and
place a similar sized piece of invisible tape on the opposite side.
Press down to seal the whole shebang.

5. Grab a butter knife or writing instrument thick enough and
carefully spool excess tape & the splice back up into the cassette
shell.

I've rarely every had these jam, and typically I notice a slight
degrade in sound quality/volume leading up to the splice. Or if it's
a new cassette or one you don't play often, you will hear the affect
of a skip on a record, and not much else.

-CC