William McLaughlin

Default Advice For Novice

Hi RATs!

I listen to MP3s from my computer's hard drive. From my sound
card, I have a Y-connector with one branch going to my computer
speakers and the other branch is connected--via a 20 foot
extension--to my integrated amp (a Fisher X-1000) across the room. I
was wondering, do I lose sound quality because of the 20 foot
extension? (It's a Radio Shack speaker extension cable with RCA
connectors on each end.)

If so, would it help if I ran the line out of the sound card
into a preamp before the extension? (In other words, the line out of
my sound card would go to the Y-connector, from there be connected to
a preamp input, the output of the preamp would be connected to the 20
foot extension which would then be connected to my integrated amp.)

If so, how would I set the volume on the preamp? All the way
up, or would that overload the preamp section of my integrated amp?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mac

Doug Schultz

"William McLaughlin" wrote in message
[...]

Ok first if it is a speaker extension cable it isnt shielded. so you are
probably getting noise picked up from that cable. They do sell 1/8" TRS
extension cables that are shielded. this is what I use. Then an adapter from
the 1/8" to stereo rca plugs. Seems to work fine for me. No additional
noise.

No you dont need a preamp. Most sound cards have a low enough output
impedance that you wont hear any loss of high end that isnt already lost in
the MP3 format.

Doug

Tim Williams

"Doug Schultz" wrote in message
newsMTtd.464758$nl.234260@pd7tw3no...

"William McLaughlin" wrote in message
I listen to MP3s from my computer's hard drive.

More people will discuss (by which I mean bitch about) the finer points of
how MP3's suck before even registering the thoughts in the rest of your
post.

Ok first if it is a speaker extension cable it isnt shielded. so you are
probably getting noise picked up from that cable.

One way to tell for su do you hear any noise? ;-)

Hell...I have crappy hacked together cables of scrap RCA cords and
hand-twisted pair for my system. Works fine!

Tim (enjoying a 128k MP3 "Fear Factory - Securitron" )

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Shiva

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
"Doug Schultz" wrote in message
newsMTtd.464758$nl.234260@pd7tw3no...

"William McLaughlin" wrote in message
I listen to MP3s from my computer's hard drive.

More people will discuss (by which I mean bitch about) the finer points of
how MP3's suck before even registering the thoughts in the rest of your
post.

Ok first if it is a speaker extension cable it isnt shielded. so you are
probably getting noise picked up from that cable.

One way to tell for su do you hear any noise? ;-)

Hell...I have crappy hacked together cables of scrap RCA cords and
hand-twisted pair for my system. Works fine!

Tim (enjoying a 128k MP3 "Fear Factory - Securitron" )

Finally - someone admittin' to listenin' to MP3's and having a blast. I'm a
purist, myself, though - I wrap the rca cables 'round a split-apart ferrite
doughnut, to protect my super-turbo-fidelity *zero-ended DIODE* .035W amp
(running on a plutonium -matched single 00A, diode-strapped) in A-- mode.
You should see the hyper-efficient enclosure I've built for the thing - it
takes up half of the house, but you could *almost hear* the music!tongue
out emoticon goes here
-dim (listening to the fan in my 'puter)