Harry Lavo

Default Yet another DBT post

"chung" wrote in message
news:ch0Wb.14852$032.63396@attbi_s53...
Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
news:3xUVb.11981$032.40528@attbi_s53...
Harry Lavo wrote:

1) Amp 1, transistor, made by one of the leading names in the

industry.
Flat constricted sound, grainy on top, a bit murky in upper bass.

Imaging
and sound totally unrealistic.

2) Amp 2, transistor, made by another leading name in industry.

Beautiful
imaging, soundstages out beyond speakers, instruments and voices had

dimensional 3D quality usually associated with tubes. Yet not quite

right,
as the voices and instruments sounded like they were wrapped in gold

foil.
The were 3D but all you heard was the "surface" of the image...there

didn't
seem to be depth or weight.

3) Amp 3, tube. Same beautiful imaging, soundstage, dimensionality.

Only
now the 3D images were fleshed out and palpable. You literally felt

you
could reach out and touch the performers.

Now, not a *thing* had changed except those amps. Nor was I the only

one
who could hear it. My female partner at the time walked into my

listening
sessions and accurately caught/described the character of the sound

of
each
with no prompting from me.

There is more to it than speakers, Chung.

Maybe you missed the part about competent? Examples of things that can
change imaging: (a) mismatches in frequency response between L and R
channels, (b) mistracking of gain between L and R channels as volume
control is adjusted, (c) mismatches in L/R output impedances that are
significantly large (like those found in SET's), (d) mismatches of
phono-equalization between L/R channels, (e) balance control not
centered, (f) loudness contour mismatches between L/R channels, and (g)
any gross frequency response errors or insufficient S/N (found in

SET's,
e.g.).

These were power amps, Chung Which of the above apply.

All of them, except (d), (e) and (f) apply to power amps, if they are
not properly designed.

Yes, but less likely. How many "unbalanced and defective" power amps have
you experienced in your day. They are relatively simple circuits.

Plus, they were from
large and respected companies, not boutiques.

Incompetence is not limited to boutiques. So what do you think caused
the imaging differences?

No, but it is much less likely.

Were you listening at equal loudness levels?

Yes

There is no examples that I can found of imaging differences caused by
cables or interconnects, unless they are grossly defective.

I do not recall that Mike was talking about wires in this thread.

A lot of the DBT's he took as producing negative results were on cables.
You think he believes that cables do not cause imaging differences?

I don't know whether he does or does not. I've do not recall hearing him
assert that here.

In any event, if those differences are so real and "palpable" in your
sighted testing that your female partner at the time had no trouble
identifying them, you think you have trouble differentiating them in a
DBT? Would you still need extensive evaluative sessions before you can
compare?

If a DBT could prove to reveal these types of differences (which a

control
test is needed for), then I'm sure one would reveal these differences.

By proof you mean agreement with sighted testing? So you are saying if
both sighted and blind tests show imaging differences, then you think
DBT can show imaging differences? Hmmm, you cover all the bases here .

Please, Chung. I've spelled out my blind test proposal, which you were the
first to respond to. It was a double-blind test, evaluative test. I can
only gather that in your rush to respond you didn't both to absorb/think
about what I was really proposing.

Mike
thinks a DBT would not; I honestly don't know. He may be right.

What!!! Your female partner (who was implied to be not an audiophile)
could hear the palpable differences immediately without any prompt from
you, and you think you may not be able to identity them, blind? This is
an absolutely amazing admission from a subjectivist. You are saying that
once we don't tell you what you are listening to, your hearing ability
as an audiophile is much worse than the average person!

Nope, I'm saying I don't know how much (because a control test has never
been done) going into comparative mode versus evaluative mode would affect
it.

Keith Hughes

Harry Lavo wrote:

snip

She knew I had swapped in another amp...but we hadn't discussed "how it
sounded" since she had just walked in and heard it for the first time. So
it wasn't blind in the sense discussed here. Nor was it comparative; it was
evaluative. She described how it sounded to her. Sorry, no points Keith.
:-)

So, you consider "I just changed amps, take a listen and describe
how *this* one sounds" as "no prompting from me"? This situation
epitomizes the case of expectation bias. IOW, *knowing* a change
was made, a change was 'heard'. So what? That's what the
'objectivists' keep telling you!

You see, Harry, the point here is that had she truly "had no
prompting", the test would have been essentially blind, and thus
the results would be in opposition to your position. And *with*
prompting (i.e. knowing a change had been made, the critical
biasing factor) the results were exactly as Mr. Chung and others
have been describing.

So what was the point of the anecdote?

Keith Hughes

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

Plus, they were from
large and respected companies, not boutiques.

Incompetence is not limited to boutiques. So what do you think caused
the imaging differences?

No, but it is much less likely.

I am really glad that you have come to realize that incompetence is much
more likely in boutique companies. That's the kind of position one
does not acquire by being an inmate of the Audio Asylum. See, this
newsgroup is very good .
chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

[...]

I am glad that you agree that power amps are relative simple circuits.
As such, they really are not hard to design such that they do not cause
any imaging problems.

On the other hand, SET's are even more simple circuits, and they are
often designed to not resemble an ideal voltage amplifier. And I can
beleive those could introduce imaging differences.

But to answer your question, I have not seen any power amp that images
differently from another one, when both are level matched and not clipping.

[...]

Please, Harry. You wrote that "If a DBT could prove to reveal these
types of differences (which a control test is needed for), then I'm sure
one would reveal these differences". The classical subjectivist's
position of proof is for the sighted and blind results to agree. This is
independent from any other proposal you may have written. In any event
you were saying that if DBT's are proven to work, then they work. That
was what I found amusing.

Mike
thinks a DBT would not; I honestly don't know. He may be right.

What!!! Your female partner (who was implied to be not an audiophile)
could hear the palpable differences immediately without any prompt from
you, and you think you may not be able to identity them, blind? This is
an absolutely amazing admission from a subjectivist. You are saying that
once we don't tell you what you are listening to, your hearing ability
as an audiophile is much worse than the average person!

Nope, I'm saying I don't know how much (because a control test has never
been done) going into comparative mode versus evaluative mode would affect
it.

Do you know how artificial your separation of "evalutive" vs
"comparative" sounds to the rest of is? You were saying that those
differences were so obvious that your partner could notice them, without
you prompting her what those differences were. Now, as soon as someone
covers up the idenitity of the amps, you immediately run into this
"evaluative" vs "comparative" dilemma that you seem unable to pull
yourself out of? What happens to those imaging differences that were so
real an palpable? Do those instruments/voices all of a sudden relocate
themselves once you put a cover over the amps?
chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Keith Hughes" wrote in message

More to the point, as described (i.e. "My female partner at the
time walked into my listening sessions and accurately
caught/described the character of the sound of each with no
prompting from me), she was *easily* able to not only distinguish
difference (that all-confounding *decision* you keep attributing
such nefarious capabilities to), but to comprehensively
characterize the differences between the amps *Essentially BLIND*,
unless the "no prompting from me" is a complete mischaracterization.

So, Mr. Lavo, by your own 'anecdote', "blindness" confers no
disadvantages in differentiating amps. Clearly, the process of
merely codifying the test protocol, and applying statistical
treatments of the data, post-test, can't possibly be a hindrance
in detecting *real* sonic differences. At least for your 'female
partner' in any event.

She knew I had swapped in another amp...but we hadn't discussed "how it
sounded" since she had just walked in and heard it for the first time. So
it wasn't blind in the sense discussed here. Nor was it comparative; it was
evaluative. She described how it sounded to her. Sorry, no points Keith.
:-)

Hey, you said that "she accurately caught and described the character of
the sound of *each* with no prompting from me". To me, that is
evaluative *and* comparative, since she could describe the sound of
*each" amplifier.

For example, there are two amplifiers that I listened to, and I could
tell you the character of the sound of each of those two amplifiers.
Then I have evaluated them, and I have compared them. What is different
in my description of the sounds would be used as a basis for telling
them apart.

Harry Lavo

Harry Lavo wrote:

snip

She knew I had swapped in another amp...but we hadn't discussed "how it
sounded" since she had just walked in and heard it for the first time.

So
it wasn't blind in the sense discussed here. Nor was it comparative; it

was
evaluative. She described how it sounded to her. Sorry, no points

Keith.
:-)

So, you consider "I just changed amps, take a listen and describe
how *this* one sounds" as "no prompting from me"? This situation
epitomizes the case of expectation bias. IOW, *knowing* a change
was made, a change was 'heard'. So what? That's what the
'objectivists' keep telling you!

Sorry, Keith. The "she said 'what did you do to make it sound so much
better/different' incidents reported here have been roundly villified as
"antecdotal". Now that it suits you, these become blind tests?

You see, Harry, the point here is that had she truly "had no
prompting", the test would have been essentially blind, and thus
the results would be in opposition to your position. And *with*
prompting (i.e. knowing a change had been made, the critical
biasing factor) the results were exactly as Mr. Chung and others
have been describing.

She knew I had brought a new amp home and was up in the listening room
working on it. She had no idea what it was, what to expect. She just
walked in, listened about two minutes, and commented. That's certainly
sighted, evaluative listening. I made no claim otherwise. But it was
another pair of ears who heard it very much like I did (by the way, she
enjoys music and goes to a fair amount of concerts, but is certainly not an
audiophile).

So what was the point of the anecdote?

Keith Hughes

To illustrate that a simple change of power amps can affect soundstage, an
implication Chung is trying to deride.

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

Plus, they were from
large and respected companies, not boutiques.

Incompetence is not limited to boutiques. So what do you think caused
the imaging differences?

No, but it is much less likely.

I am really glad that you have come to realize that incompetence is much
more likely in boutique companies. That's the kind of position one
does not acquire by being an inmate of the Audio Asylum. See, this
newsgroup is very good .

How about 35 years of testing and evaluating equipment? BTW, some of my
equipment is by a very small company that is the best of its kind, and has
been utterly reliable for 25 years. It is probabilities only, simply due to
the less sophisticated manufacturing.

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

[...]

Okay, we agree, no defective power amps. We disagree on whether that means
no imaging difference.

.

Please, Chung. I've spelled out my blind test proposal, which you were

the
first to respond to. It was a double-blind test, evaluative test. I

can
only gather that in your rush to respond you didn't both to absorb/think
about what I was really proposing.

Please, Harry. You wrote that "If a DBT could prove to reveal these
types of differences (which a control test is needed for), then I'm sure
one would reveal these differences". The classical subjectivist's
position of proof is for the sighted and blind results to agree. This is
independent from any other proposal you may have written. In any event
you were saying that if DBT's are proven to work, then they work. That
was what I found amusing.

Well, what you find "amusing" I find to totally disqualify traditional
dbt'ng as the "final arbiter" of the issue. No validation means no
credibility.

[...]

Well, let me simplify. In the control phase, I am talking about listening
to one amp, rating it, and then taking a break. Then doing it again, not
knowing what amp I'm dealing with. Until each amp has been evaluated
sixteen times, in sixteen "pairs" but one after the other. Then doing a
statistical evaluation of the ratings. *That* is evaluative. There is no
direct comparison. There is listening and rating.

I don't understand why you have such a tough time entertaining this concept?
Mike and others (and I think it a distinct possibility) feel that listening
and comparing two amps and having to choose is a very different process,
using a different part of the brain. The control test is to find out if
they give the same results, or different results. Both are blind tests.

Steven Sullivan

chung wrote:
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Regardless of whether we're talking about a classic case of 'even my *WIFE* heard
it!" anecdotia, the salient fact to me is that Harry has identified two amps
whose sound he has 'evaluated' and believes sound obviously different in
ways he has articulated. Fine. So much for the evaluative listening step.
Time for the next step.

Let's level-match the amps and ask Harry
to tell them apart using whatever 'evaluative' jargon he likes
to indicate audible difference, using the same music he used already
(or whatever music he prefers), in the
same room with the same system, and, heck, his female partner can join in too...so long
as they have only *audible* clues as to the identity of the amp that
they're listening to. If analysis of the results shows
he can't tell the difference, Harry should concede that the two amps in
question probably sounded the same when
he thought they sounded different. If he can, let's have the
two amps tested for competent design; if the measurements reveal
the potential for perceputally significant differences, let's concede that these are
probably responsible for the audible difference Harry reported; if no such
potential is revealed, let's concede that audible difference probably exists but is
due to something not measured by the instruments at hand.

Alternately, the amps can be measured beforehand.

I'll chip in $50 towards having Tom N. travel to Harry's and
proctor such a test of the claims Harry has *already made*.

Enough already!

___
-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Harry Lavo

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
chung wrote:
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

I've got a small problem with this Steven. This was six years ago, the amps
were on loan from dealers, and the one I ended up with is currently out for
service (although will be back shortly, I hope). I agree if they were
sitting in my basement workshop, it would be worth doing just to stop the
incessant memos.

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

No they were "monadic" evaluations. Each amp was tested in the system at a
different time, weeks apart. No comparison at all, other than to what she
rembered "live" music to sound like.

For example, there are two amplifiers that I listened to, and I could
tell you the character of the sound of each of those two amplifiers.
Then I have evaluated them, and I have compared them. What is different
in my description of the sounds would be used as a basis for telling
them apart.

If you are comparing two amps in close proximity, switching back and forth,
you are comparing?

If you are listening to and taking notes on an amp (mental, notepad, or
scale). Then at another time doing the same for a different amp, then you
are evaluating. Get it?

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"
I am glad that you agree that power amps are relative simple circuits.
As such, they really are not hard to design such that they do not cause
any imaging problems.

On the other hand, SET's are even more simple circuits, and they are
often designed to not resemble an ideal voltage amplifier. And I can
beleive those could introduce imaging differences.

But to answer your question, I have not seen any power amp that images
differently from another one, when both are level matched and not

clipping.

Okay, we agree, no defective power amps.

No, I said that I have not found any power amps that image differently.
I know nothing about your amps, whether they are defective, or whether
they are incompetently designed.

When you first reported that they were major imaging differences between
those amps, I was a little curious about what caused that. But then when
I asked you whether you can identify those imaging differences in a DBT
and you said you were not sure, your anecdote had simply became another
one of those anecdotes that we heard so many of. You know, "my wife in
the kitchen could tell that I switched the power cord" kind of anecdote.
It simply stops carrying any weight.

Well, what you find "amusing" I find to totally disqualify traditional
dbt'ng as the "final arbiter" of the issue. No validation means no
credibility.

Another reason it was amusing is that you call those differences real
and palpable, yet when asked whether you could tell them blind, you
would no longer be certain. You just knew that you may not pass a DBT,
despite the previously expressed strong certainty that there were major
imaging differences.

[...]

The tough time I have understanding what you said is simply this: What
happens to those imaging differences that were so real and palpable? Do
those instruments/voices all of a sudden relocate themselves once you
put a cover over the amps? Or did those instruments/voices all of a
sudden relocate themselves when they know that you have to *compare* now?

Nousaine

"Harry Lavo" wrote:

....snips to content....

"chung" wrote in message

By proof you mean agreement with sighted testing? So you are saying if
both sighted and blind tests show imaging differences, then you think
DBT can show imaging differences? Hmmm, you cover all the bases here

That argumant seems to be the same one folks use to defend the extistance of
BigFoot. Any test that doesn't prove or validate what I already 'know' to be
true is invalid.

The classical subjectivist's
position of proof is for the sighted and blind results to agree. This is
independent from any other proposal you may have written. In any event
you were saying that if DBT's are proven to work, then they work. That
was what I found amusing.

Yes the ultimate validation is one that provides the results I want; even when
it's been shown to be wrong on every occasion where simple listening bias
controls have been implemented. "Every" test. Which must mean that
bias-controls are invalid. Barnum was right.

Well, what you find "amusing" I find to totally disqualify traditional
dbt'ng as the "final arbiter" of the issue.

No validation means no
credibility.

That's what I say about amp/cable sound "no validation, no credibility."
That's what I say about open listening for either evaluation or comparison or
even comparative evaluation. With proper training it's quite useful and
properly trained listeners are sheilded from standard Urban Legends and are
better guarded against common listening bias mechanisms under even open
conditions.

As long as I'm at it; the most common means of inducing false "difference" is
comparative tests using amplifers that have different input sensitivities and a
lack of level match and direct switching. Another fairly common condition is
channel imbalance. I've encountered high-end amplifiers with as much as 2-dB
level difference between channels.

What!!! Your female partner (who was implied to be not an audiophile)
could hear the palpable differences immediately without any prompt from
you, and you think you may not be able to identity them, blind? This is
an absolutely amazing admission from a subjectivist. You are saying

that
once we don't tell you what you are listening to, your hearing ability
as an audiophile is much worse than the average person!

Nope, I'm saying I don't know how much (because a control test has never
been done) going into comparative mode versus evaluative mode would

affect it.

I'm interpreting this argument is based on the liklihood that the original
'differences' were a function of listening bias. Immediately palpable
differences are only perceptible when you know the identity of the operating
device in advance is invalidation of any observation.

The idea that a cloth over the input terminals and the existance of another
possible device in the same vicinity reduces listener sensitivty to zero is
pretty remarkable in itself. Interpreted literally it implies some kind of
paranormal communication or magic.

[...]

That doesn't address the question that was asked. Do acoustic images realign
themselves when a cover is placed over an amplifiers input terminals? How does
the amplifier know how to do this? I'm of the opinion that a good share of
audio folklore is a function of enthusiasts (and clever merchandisers) applying
human characteristics to inanimate objects.

It's sort of like swearing or sweet-talking a hard starting lawnmower. It has
no effect on the device but it helps the human cope with the situation. It's
the same sort of thing people do with their pets?

As in "My cat, thinks he's a person." Interpreting normal feline behavior in
human terms tends to psychologically bring us closer to htem. But it has
nothing yo do with the cat. He doesn't think about anything at all. This just
makes the owner feel better.

I don't understand why you have such a tough time entertaining this concept?
Mike and others (and I think it a distinct possibility) feel that listening
and comparing two amps and having to choose is a very different process,
using a different part of the brain. The control test is to find out if
they give the same results, or different results. Both are blind tests.

We already know that they often give different results. That's why we use
listening bias-controls .... to evaluate what is based on sound and what is
based on non-acoustic factors.
Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"
[...]

How about if the part of the brain that 'compares' when left on its own is
not the part that recognizes "images" but reqires some evaluation by the
another part of the brain to work with it, and has trouble doing that in a
comparative test?

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Webster's:

compa to examine in order to observe or discover similarities or
differences.

Nothing about close proximity, or switching back and forth. In fact,
compare clearly involves evaluate, as Bob Marcus has said in another post.

Get it?

If she could tell you what sounded different, she was comparing. Simple, no?

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

The tough time I have understanding what you said is simply this: What
happens to those imaging differences that were so real and palpable? Do
those instruments/voices all of a sudden relocate themselves once you
put a cover over the amps? Or did those instruments/voices all of a
sudden relocate themselves when they know that you have to *compare* now?

How about if the part of the brain that 'compares' when left on its own is
not the part that recognizes "images" but reqires some evaluation by the
another part of the brain to work with it, and has trouble doing that in a
comparative test?

Let's not go into the twilight zone...

How about this:

(a) If the differences are real and palpable, then of course they will
be revealed in a level-matched controlled DBT's. Even you and Mike
Kuller said that gross differences are revealed by DBT's, and you
already said that those differences you observed sighted were gross.
Note that I am also accepting that they may be real, since there may be
physical reasons like channel mismatches or frequency response errors
that affect imaging. It would also be interesting to make measurements
to understand what it was that caused the imaging differences if they
were real.

(b) If the differences go away in a level-matched well-controlled DBT,
then those previously observed differences were caused by expectation
bias, or a lack of proper control like listening at different levels or
locations within your room. When you move about in a room, imaging
changes, so you have to really careful to make conclusions about
imaging. That's why I am leery of anyone saying that imaging changes
dramatically after any change to the system, except speakers, speaker
positioning or room treatments.

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

[...]

Chung, you keep just "willing away" actual phenomenon. Give me some
credit...I know how to sit in the same spot in a carefully designed
listening room. I also know how to volume match. Finally, I also "know"
what flat vs. 3D soundstages sound like. And, BTW, with a true 3D
soundstage you can hear the dimensionality from a broad range of locations
other than the sweet spot.

These differences were palpable, and were a characteristic of perfectly
functioning equipment. Whether you have room in *your* theory for same or
not.

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

[...]

Didn't I say that I am accepting that they may be real?

More to the point, sighted testing has a way of "willing in" phenomena.

Give me some
credit...I know how to sit in the same spot in a carefully designed
listening room. I also know how to volume match.

How about your female partner? Did she exercise the same care?

Finally, I also "know"
what flat vs. 3D soundstages sound like. And, BTW, with a true 3D
soundstage you can hear the dimensionality from a broad range of locations
other than the sweet spot.

These differences were palpable, and were a characteristic of perfectly
functioning equipment.

If they were palpable, you should be able to tell them sighted or blind.

On the other hand, if you can only detect the differences sighted (or
evaluative as you put it), how palpable are they really?

Whether you have room in *your* theory for same or
not.

Bob Marcus

Harry wrote:

Chung, you keep just "willing away" actual phenomenon. Give me some
credit...I know how to sit in the same spot in a carefully designed
listening room. I also know how to volume match. Finally, I also
"know"
what flat vs. 3D soundstages sound like. And, BTW, with a true 3D
soundstage you can hear the dimensionality from a broad range of
locations
other than the sweet spot.

These differences were palpable, and were a characteristic of perfectly
functioning equipment. Whether you have room in *your* theory for same
or
not.

Chung isn't willing away anything, and his theory fully explains the
phenomenon you report. If there was nothing wrong with these amps, then what
you experienced was the placebo effect. If you don't like that theory,
you're free to propose your own--but we'd like to see some empirical data to
back it up.

bob

Optimize your Internet experience to the max with the new MSN Premium
Internet Software. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/
Steven Sullivan

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
I'll chip in $50 towards having Tom N. travel to Harry's and
proctor such a test of the claims Harry has *already made*.

Enough already!

I've got a small problem with this Steven. This was six years ago, the amps
were on loan from dealers, and the one I ended up with is currently out for
service (although will be back shortly, I hope). I agree if they were
sitting in my basement workshop, it would be worth doing just to stop the
incessant memos.

But the principle holds. Surely you haven't stopped hearing
differences in the intervening six years. Surely there's some pair of
amps or cables or treatments that you have 'evaluated' recently
that could serve, no?

Let's start with what you *already claim to be different*, having used
your listening paradigm, and thus
obviate the need for a whole new 'evaluative listening' step.

Harry Lavo

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Harry wrote:

[...]

Here we go again. Chung made a statement that only a defective amp would
create a different soundstage. I gave a specific anecdotal statement about
a specific listening experience with three different amps. Now I am being
challenged to "prove" it with a dbt, and even though I explain why I can't
"prove it with a dbt (equipment I don't own and six years ago) I am told
that "since I can't hear it blind, its a placebo effect" or I should
evaluate some different equipment now just to prove I can hear differences.

I didn't test it blind six years ago folks, so I don't know whether I would
have heard it or not. But the reason I didn't was that the difference was
dramatic, not subtle. And my partner heard the same thing without
prompting...I guess it was a placebo for her too. By the way, a placebo
means you think you are getting one thing, and you are really not being
given that thing. Pretty hard to use that to explain why three different
unfamiliar amps, none of which I knew anything about, would sound different
to me. Want to talk about an unconscious sight bias, it might make sense,
but a placebo effect?

As to that sight bias, the one that I like best on looks sounded worst. The
second best looking sounded second best. And the plainest and cheapest
looking sounded best. But it was not the cheapest, it fell in between.

Would somebody care to explain my "sight bias" with some kind of coherent
theory, rather than simply arm waving and accusation by innuendo.

Bob Marcus

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

By the way, a placebo
means you think you are getting one thing, and you are really not being
given that thing. Pretty hard to use that to explain why three different
unfamiliar amps, none of which I knew anything about, would sound different
to me. Want to talk about an unconscious sight bias, it might make sense,
but a placebo effect?

By placebo, we generally mean that you think you hear a change when nothing
has audibly changed. But call it whatever you like, Harry.

As to that sight bias, the one that I like best on looks sounded worst.
The
second best looking sounded second best. And the plainest and cheapest
looking sounded best. But it was not the cheapest, it fell in between.

Would somebody care to explain my "sight bias" with some kind of coherent
theory, rather than simply arm waving and accusation by innuendo.

Who's accusing you, and what innuendo? Sighted bias merely means that
visual information influences your assessment of what you hear. If you're
only imagining a difference (and remember, that's only an if, since we
haven't tested it properly), then I can't possibly explain why you imagine
one amp to sound better than another. Sighted bias doesn't just tell you
what each amp looks like--it identifies each amp for you, which allows you
to associate the sound with everything you know or have read or heard about
that amp, its design, or its manufacturer.

Sighted bias exists. It is beyond scientific dispute (which is not to say
that everything is beyond scientific dispute). The only way you can avoid it
is to listen blind. End of story.

bob

Let the advanced features & services of MSN Internet Software maximize your
online time. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200363ave/direct/01/
chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Harry wrote:

[...]

Actually, if you read carefully, the statement was that competent amps
do not cause imaging differences. An amp maybe poorly designed (like
certain SET's with very high output impedances), but not defective,
since it met its design specs.

Another point that you missed was that there were reasons given to why
you and your partner might have heard different imaging, like levels not
matched, listening positions not the same, etc.

I gave a specific anecdotal statement about
a specific listening experience with three different amps. Now I am being
challenged to "prove" it with a dbt, and even though I explain why I can't
"prove it with a dbt (equipment I don't own and six years ago) I am told
that "since I can't hear it blind, its a placebo effect"

No, it could be simply that proper controls were not in place.

or I should
evaluate some different equipment now just to prove I can hear differences.

You actually brought that issue up because you said that you might not
be able to hear those real and palpable differences in a DBT
(irrespective of whether you still have those amps or not).

I didn't test it blind six years ago folks, so I don't know whether I would
have heard it or not. But the reason I didn't was that the difference was
dramatic, not subtle. And my partner heard the same thing without
prompting...I guess it was a placebo for her too.

Or poorly control tests, or faulty memory. Or different moods?

By the way, a placebo
means you think you are getting one thing, and you are really not being
given that thing. Pretty hard to use that to explain why three different
unfamiliar amps, none of which I knew anything about, would sound different
to me.

Because you *know* that you are listening to different amps, perhaps?

Want to talk about an unconscious sight bias, it might make sense,
but a placebo effect?

As to that sight bias, the one that I like best on looks sounded worst. The
second best looking sounded second best. And the plainest and cheapest
looking sounded best. But it was not the cheapest, it fell in between.

Would somebody care to explain my "sight bias" with some kind of coherent
theory, rather than simply arm waving and accusation by innuendo.

Explained already. All you have to do is re-read.

Keith Hughes

Harry Lavo wrote:

snip

I gave a specific anecdotal statement about
a specific listening experience with three different amps. Now I am being
challenged to "prove" it with a dbt,

Uhmm, seems to me you ignored the rest of the post. To wit, that
surely in the intervening timeframe you've established a
"reference" by identification of differences, sighted, between a
couple of components (such as amps) that you could now verify
using a DBT. Why would you choose to excise such a clearly
relevant section?

snip

By the way, a placebo
means you think you are getting one thing, and you are really not being
given that thing.

Sorry Harry, this is utter hogwash. Have you, perchance, ever been
involved with a clinical trial? It would seem not. Informed
consent being what it is, the patient is *always* aware that
he/she is involved in a clinical trial, and that the substance
administered will be *either* a placebo, or the "real" thing.

No one is ever told they are receiving an efficacious (or
purportedly efficacious) drug, when they may be given a placebo
(remember, the physician does not know either). Such a practice
would be a serious ethical breach, and a clinical protocol
incorporating such conduct would *not* be approved.

Would somebody care to explain my "sight bias" with some kind of coherent
theory, rather than simply arm waving and accusation by innuendo.

Sure. Once you know, a priori, that a change has been made in the
system, you (and all humanity) are predisposed to find a
difference. It has nothing to do with "expecting a particular
outcome".

From an evolutionary perspective, a false positive for "same"
carries a greater selective disadvantage than a false positive for
'difference'. I.e., when there is no change in the environment,
perception of change is less dangerous than not perceiving change
when it does occur.

Thus, selective pressures will favor identification of 'change',
real or not, over false identification of 'same'. Follow the
logic; failure to recognise edible fruit (possibly leading to
hunger/starvation) is, on average, less dangerous to survival than
failure to recognize a difference between edible and poisonous
fruit. This holds true for recognition of predators, environmental
conditions, geographical conditions, etc. IOW, erring toward false
identification of difference results in a more cautious attitude,
which averaged over the range of individual conditions, results in
enhanced survival chances (e.g., for all animals, the "fight or
flight" response is skewed towards flight. Why? There is almost
never a selective disadvantage. A skew towards 'fight' would, in
many instances, result in a definite selective disadvantage).
Enhanced survival = positive selective pressure. Positive
selective pressure = incorporation into the gene pool.

Keith Hughes

normanstrong

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

If you are listening to and taking notes on an amp (mental, notepad,

or
scale). Then at another time doing the same for a different amp,

then you
are evaluating. Get it?

I think I get it. My question is: If you have the notepad from all
your evaluations, can you look at what's written for the 2 amps in
question and tell me whether they are different amplifiers, or the
same one? If you can't, I would question the value of the process.

Norm Strong

S888Wheel

Sighted bias exists. It is beyond scientific dispute (which is not to say
that everything is beyond scientific dispute). The only way you can avoid it
is to listen blind. End of story.

bob

By this claim it sounds like you are saying that when you or any other
objectivist listens to amps sighted you cannot help but percieve a difference
in comparisons to other amps. Is this true? Do all amps sound different to all
objsctivists in sighted comparisons? Have none of you listened to an amp
comparison sighted and thought you heard no difference?

S888Wheel

Sighted bias exists. It is beyond scientific dispute (which is not to say
that everything is beyond scientific dispute). The only way you can avoid

it is to listen blind. End of story.

bob

By this claim it sounds like you are saying that when you or any other
objectivist listens to amps sighted you cannot help but percieve a
difference
in comparisons to other amps. Is this true? Do all amps sound different to
all
objsctivists in sighted comparisons? Have none of you listened to an amp
comparison sighted and thought you heard no difference?

Good question. Truth be told, I haven't compared amps directly in a long
time. Yes, we're as prone to sighted bias as any other normal human. But
because we're more skeptical about what we perceive, we're less likely to
jump to a conclusion based on that perception.

So you are saying that objectvists "percieve" differences between amps in
sighted comparisons just like anyone else but are less likely to believe their
perceptions?
Mkuller

nabob wrote:
Sighted bias exists. It is beyond scientific dispute (which is not to say
that everything is beyond scientific dispute). The only way you can avoid it

is to listen blind. End of story.

Pretty strong beliefs at work here...

wrote:
By this claim it sounds like you are saying that when you or any other
objectivist listens to amps sighted you cannot help but percieve a difference
in comparisons to other amps. Is this true? Do all amps sound different to
all
objsctivists in sighted comparisons? Have none of you listened to an amp
comparison sighted and thought you heard no difference?

How about sighted listening by objectivists to loudspeakers? Sure you think
they probably sound different blind, but what part of what you are hearing
sighted is *bias* and what part of it is real audible differences? How about
the tighter bass, the cleaner highs, the greater transparency and inner detail,
the wider dynamic contrasts, the superior imaging? Which, if any, of those
audible differences have you ever identified in a blind comparison? Most
likely - *none*. So do they exist here in your sighted speaker comparison or
are they merely your sighted bias at work... and how do you know?
Objectivists please enlighten us?
Regards,
Mike

Steven Sullivan

wrote:
[...]

You don't, 'for sure'. But, unlike for cables and amps,
you do have good, independent reasons to believe that
speakers are *likely* to sound different...based on what speakers *do*
and how they work and how they are built. And of course , some speakers
mfrs (e.g. Harman/JBL) *do* use blinded protocols to verify audible differences
in speakers.

Objectivists please enlighten us?

Asked and answered, many times before. And now, again.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director
Nousaine

wrote:
[...]

Only a select few have conducted blind loudspeaker tests that's for sure only
because they are so hard to do.

So do they exist here in your sighted speaker comparison or
are they merely your sighted bias at work... and how do you know?
Objectivists please enlighten us?
Regards,
Mike

We have a frame of reference simply because we know which types are unlikely to
be real as opposed to bias-induced. There are some bias-reduction techniques
that can be employed under open conditions to help ameliorate known bias
mechanisms as well; such as level matching, common programming, presentation
order compensation and known reference comparative scoring.

Subjectivists should try some of them.

Mkuller

Steven Sullivan wrote:
You don't, 'for sure'. But, unlike for cables and amps,
you do have good, independent reasons to believe that
speakers are *likely* to sound different...based on what speakers *do*
and how they work and how they are built.

Based on all of the different types of designs of audio amplifiers and all of
the differences in tolerences, quality and parts that are used in them, they
would seem to have a high likelyhood of sounding different.

Asked and answered, many times before. And now, again.

Apart from the condescension, you seem to have *no* answer. The fact that two
loudspeakers are *more likely* to sound different than, say, two cables means
-*they MAY sound different*, but that's all. So are all of the differences you
may describe to better speakers - listed above - illusions, bias or real
audible differences?

nabob says rather definitively:
"Sighted bias... The only way you can avoid it is to listen blind. End of
story."

The answer seems to be - you don't know, and you don't care because it's much
easier to listen blind to amps and cables than speakers. I suspect if you did
listen to speakers blind, you would be able to identify *only loudness and
gross frequency response differences* - because that is all your blind tests
seem capable of showing.
Regards,
Mike

Bob Marcus

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Bob Marcus" wrote in message

If I perceive a difference between two amps, there are several possible
explanations:
1) level difference
2) frequency response difference
3) clipping
4) I'm imagining it.

Without measurements (to check #1-3) or a blind test (#4), I couldn't

tell
you whether my perception was accurate or not.

Interesting that you leave out possibility #5 - "5) There actually is a
difference."

Uh, #1-3 ARE actual differences, Harry. I'd be happy to add any others--if
there's some empirical evidence for them.

Seems to me there is a bias at work here.

Just a knee-jerk rejection of hokum.

bob

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!
Steven Sullivan

Steven Sullivan wrote:
You don't, 'for sure'. But, unlike for cables and amps,
you do have good, independent reasons to believe that
speakers are *likely* to sound different...based on what speakers *do*
and how they work and how they are built.

Based on all of the different types of designs of audio amplifiers and all of
the differences in tolerences, quality and parts that are used in them, they
would seem to have a high likelyhood of sounding different.

That presumes the range of tolerances and the 'sound' of electronic parts
is *likely* to vary in an audible manner in a *competent* design.
Which is not what I've seen competent engineering/audiophile types argue.
I would guess, though , that amps are more likely to sound different than
cables.

Asked and answered, many times before. And now, again.

Apart from the condescension, you seem to have *no* answer. The fact that two
loudspeakers are *more likely* to sound different than, say, two cables means
-*they MAY sound different*, but that's all.

No, it doesn't. The word 'likely' means that more credence can reasonably
given to a report of difference between speakers, than to cables, if ALL
YOU KNOW is that speakers or cables are being compared. It's reasonable
to consider other factors as well, of course.

So are all of the differences you
may describe to better speakers - listed above - illusions, bias or real
audible differences?

*You* ascribed the above differences to speakers. Don't put your words
in my mouth, please. And without good definitions and agreement on what
is meant by those terms, it's quite possible for there to be disagreement
on what two people hear when comparing the same pair of speakers. However,
the likelihood that they both heard a real *difference* -- regardless of
how they described it -- is greater for a speaker comparison than for reports
about cables.

nabob says rather definitively:
"Sighted bias... The only way you can avoid it is to listen blind. End of
story."

The answer seems to be - you don't know, and you don't care because it's much
easier to listen blind to amps and cables than speakers.

Er...no. It's called making an *educated* guess. Bias is always a possibility
-- only subjectivists seem to ever deny it -- but it's a *safer* bet that speakers
really do sound different, than cables.

I suspect if you did
listen to speakers blind, you would be able to identify *only loudness and
gross frequency response differences* - because that is all your blind tests
seem capable of showing.

Speakers differences ARE relatively gross...compared to the limits
of what is measureable. That's why they're likely to be audible!

I bet I'd be able to identify speaker A from speaker B in a blind test.
I bet you would too. But I bet you wouldn't be able to do so with a pair
of decent cables.

You are of course free to claim the money pot if I'm wrong about the latter.
Why don't you give it a try?

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Steven Sullivan

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Speakers differences ARE relatively gross...compared to the limits
of what is measureable. That's why they're likely to be audible!

I bet I'd be able to identify speaker A from speaker B in a blind test.
I bet you would too. But I bet you wouldn't be able to do so with a pair
of decent cables.

You are of course free to claim the money pot if I'm wrong about the latter.
Why don't you give it a try?

Your *unverified DBT* will probably not be able to show the audible differences
between amplifiers, much less between cables that sound different.

Disregarding that 'unverified DBT' is a creation of you and Harry, rather
than something real: you think it would work for speakers, then?

That's why I
put $500 in to the pot - it's a very safe bet.

You assert, then, that there's a form of
DBT that *would* finally reveal the differences between cables taht
subjectivists keep reporting? Hey, knock yourself out: if the protocol
is scientifically sound, I'm happy to include it as part of the bet.
Now, show us you're right and all those psychoacousticians are wrong.