EADGBE

Default Compression Settings For GUITAR & BASS

Hello again to everyone.

I previously posted here looking for a downloadable manual for my Ashly
SC-50. (Thanks to those of you who helped me out!)

It got me to thinking about something. When it comes to recording,
everyone has opinions on just about EVERYthing.

One area that I'm sure people have a lot of opinions on is compression.
I am a serious hobbyist when it comes to home recording--definitely not
a pro. One of the biggest mysteries to me when I got started was
how/why to use a compressor for recording, and I'm still not sure I
know all I need to know on this subject.

I and others would be interested to hear from some of the more
experienced members of rec.audio.pro on the subject of HOW and WHY you
use a compressor on guitar & bass tracks.

Some things that I would like to know:

1) Recommended compressor settings for electric guitar.
2) Recommended compressor settings for acoustic guitar.
3) Recommended compressor settings for BASS guitar. (PLEASE!)
4) Situations when a compressor IS recommended.
5) Situations when a compressor IS NOT recommended.
6) What to look for in order to get a great compressed sound.
7) Recommended compressors.

Thanking everyone in advance...

Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

One of the biggest mysteries to me when I got started was
how/why to use a compressor for recording, and I'm still not sure I
know all I need to know on this subject.

There's not much to know other than SoundsGood/SoundsBad. Turn the
knobs until it sounds good and doesn't sound bad.

1) Recommended compressor settings for electric guitar.
2) Recommended compressor settings for acoustic guitar.
3) Recommended compressor settings for BASS guitar. (PLEASE!)

Start with none. Add some. If it sounds better, add more. If it sounds
worse, leave it off.

4) Situations when a compressor IS recommended.

When something sounds like it would benefit from compression. However,
the contemporary answer is vocals, kick drum, bass, and guitars.

5) Situations when a compressor IS NOT recommended.

When it doesn't improve the sound. However, the contemporary answer is
that compression is recommended on everything. If everything is at a
constant level, it's easy to keep things from overloading while
running within tenths of a dB below digital full scale, and mixing is
simple.

6) What to look for in order to get a great compressed sound.

A good compressed sound.

7) Recommended compressors.

You name it, somewill recommend it, with the possible exception of the
Alesis 3630.

Seriously, compression is a matter of taste. It's to make things sound
better, not to solve problems. You just have to play with it and have
it in your head what sounds good and what doesn't.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Mark

I'm not an expert either but I did learn something reading this news
group. When originally tracking, record the parts dry without
compression or other effects. It is better not to apply compression
or other effects when originally tracking because you only get one
chance to get the settings right. Once you have it recorded, you can
apply your effects, compression or whatever when mixing. Now you can
experiment all you want. If you do something you don't like, it is
easier to do it over while mixing. Have fun.

Mark

Thomas Thiele

EADGBE:

Hallo!

At first, before to try to turn the knops, you need the idee what knop
is for what. What does Ratio, Threshold, Attack, Relases mean.
And what does the "gain reduction" LED-chain show.

A compressor turn down loud levels and makes quieter signals louder.
All levels above the threshold is reduced with the adjusted ratio.
If threshold is set to -30dB and ratio to 2:1 a signal lower as -30dB
is passed with out any processing(statically). A signal of -20dB is
reduced to -25. (10dB over threshhold, Ratio 2:1 - 5dB over
threshhold) so gain reduction is 5dB. A signal of 0dB is reduced to
-15dB.
And since a compressor has a output poti (also known as gain makeup)
is makes also - indirectly - quite things louder.
Attack says how fast the comp. should response and release how fast the
gainreduction goes back.
A short attack may couse harmonic distortion, when the attack is faster
than the signal frequency. - use a slower attack on bass signals.
A longer attack let the transients through without procession. You can
use this to increase the attack.

1) Recommended compressor settings for electric guitar.

None. On distorted or overdriven guitars because the amplifieres
saturation works like a compressor. Maybe a litte bit
multibandcompressor to handle the low mids at around 200Hz.

2) Recommended compressor settings for acoustic guitar.
3) Recommended compressor settings for BASS guitar. (PLEASE!)

It is a good advice to record without compressor when you don't have a
glue what to do. But, it sounds better to use more compressors with
gentle setting that one with a more extreme setting. That's why I
record bass and Vocals with a gentle compressor setting. Depends 2:1 -
6:1. Attack so fast that the transients sound good an theres no
distortion, release relatively fast. Depends, how the singer or the
player is.

During mix it is different if the mix is very thin (like acoustic
guitar plus singer) or very fat like metal guitar wall.

A compressor changes the sound. Some aspekts of the sound will sound
better, some worser. You have to decide.

4) Situations when a compressor IS recommended.

When the player is inconstantly.
But it is no magic bullet, I softer hidden drum will sound softe even
with a compressor that equals the level.

5) Situations when a compressor IS NOT recommended.

When the sound, will become worser.
E.g. sometimes a comp makes the sound dull.
When the signal is good enough and needs no compressor.
Compressor is not a must.

6) What to look for in order to get a great compressed sound.

A good compressor. A good adjustment of it.

7) Recommended compressors.

Search this group with google.
To name a not well known compressor: I like my Mindprint T-Comp.

Another compressor that never sounds bad is the Wave Renaissance Comp
Plugin.

Harvey Gerst

"Mark" wrote:

I'm not an expert either but I did learn something reading this news
group. When originally tracking, record the parts dry without
compression or other effects. It is better not to apply compression
or other effects when originally tracking because you only get one
chance to get the settings right. Once you have it recorded, you can
apply your effects, compression or whatever when mixing. Now you can
experiment all you want. If you do something you don't like, it is
easier to do it over while mixing. Have fun.

Mark,

Yes, and no. Sometimes compression can help during tracking (wild
variations when recording vocals, bass, or acoustic guitar, for
example). The trick is to use a little bit going in, and then add more
if needed, during the mixdown. I try to avoid any compression when
tracking drums, but I'll add some to the kick and snare during the mix
session.

I'd rather not use any compression during recording, but sometimes it's
unavoidable.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

Anahata

David Grant wrote:
Why should it make
any difference whether compression is added after/before tracking? Using it
before could free up some headroom I agree, but could you not alternatively
just up the bitrate of your recording?

^^^^
"just" ?

Yes, a 24 bit recorder would have far less need of tracking compression
than a 16 bit recorder, but that's drifted away from the topic of how to
use a compressor...

Anahata
Tracy Wintermute

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:33:15 -0500, "David Grant"
wrote:

I've been wondering about this lately actually Harvey. Why should it make
any difference whether compression is added after/before tracking? Using it
before could free up some headroom I agree, but could you not alternatively
just up the bitrate of your recording?

Dave

I'm not Harvey (and I don't play one on TV), and I'll bet he presents
a more concise answer than me, but since I'm still awake:
Last things first; if you are working entirely in the analog realm, or
at least until final mixdown, 'upping the bitrate' during tracking
ain't really an option.

IME, compressing whilst tracking _requires_ an intimate knowledge of
the operation and effect of your available tools, a clear grasp of how
the source material will be performed and how it should fit in the
mix, and the experience and confidence to commit to your decisions. A
side benefit for those with a limited 'toolbox' of compressors could
be; if the tracking compression was proper/adequate during tracking,
that same compressor would be available for other uses during mixdown.
In other words, the more closely a track sounds, as recorded, to what
it should sound like in the mix, the more you can concentrate on other
elements of the mix. This, of course, also applies to mic
choice/placement, preamp choice, blah, blah.....

If you've ever heard the phrase "this tune practically mixed itself",
you can bet that, besides fine talent and arrangement, a great deal of
experience and knowledge went into the tracking.

====================
Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch
====================
SSJVCmag

If you've ever heard the phrase "this tune practically mixed itself",
you can bet that, besides fine talent and arrangement, a great deal of
experience and knowledge went into the tracking.

Highly Suggested Reading...

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.p...875/#msg_24875

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I've been wondering about this lately actually Harvey. Why should it make
any difference whether compression is added after/before tracking?

That's easy - because you can't successfully un-compress something
that's been compressed. With today's projects being built up track by
track, and sometimes changing direction several times as the tracks
fall together (or fall apart) you might end up with a track that's
been pre-compressed that no longer works because of where it needs to
fit. If you record without compression and compress (if you think you
need it) in the monitor mix while you're tracking, you can change the
compression as the song develops, and do it right when you mix.

Using it
before could free up some headroom I agree, but could you not alternatively
just up the bitrate of your recording?

With 24-bit recording and a reasonably quiet front end, you can allow
enough headroom to record anything but a horrible mistake (or a
horrible singer) without suffering increased noise when you compress.
If you have a noisy environment (or a noisy mic or preamp) that you
really can't get away with compressing heavily, by compressing what
you're monitoring, you can hear that in real time and solve the
problem before it comes around to bite you.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Mark

..
If you have a noisy environment (or a noisy mic or preamp) that you
really can't get away with compressing heavily, by compressing what
you're monitoring, you can hear that in real time and solve the
problem before it comes around to bite you.

since the compressor comes after the mic pre...if the environment, mic
or mic pre is noisy,
compressing the pre output won't make it any better, in fact it will
probably make it worse... no?

If you could compress the audio BEFORE it goes into the mic, that would
help, that's what a good performer can do.... no???

Mark

Scott Dorsey

David Grant wrote:

I've been wondering about this lately actually Harvey. Why should it make
any difference whether compression is added after/before tracking? Using it
before could free up some headroom I agree, but could you not alternatively
just up the bitrate of your recording?

He's talking about dynamic compression, NOT lossy compression. Which
probably shouldn't even be called compression.

Mark

Mark wrote:
.
If you have a noisy environment (or a noisy mic or preamp) that you
really can't get away with compressing heavily, by compressing what
you're monitoring, you can hear that in real time and solve the
problem before it comes around to bite you.

since the compressor comes after the mic pre...if the environment,

mic
or mic pre is noisy,
compressing the pre output won't make it any better, in fact it will
probably make it worse... no?

If you could compress the audio BEFORE it goes into the mic, that

would
help, that's what a good performer can do.... no???

Mark

Mike,

my bad...I misread what you wrote as:

"really can't get away withOUT compressing heavily"

we are in agreement, compressing a noisy mic signal is NOT a good
thing.

Mark

Roger W. Norman

I'd rather not use any compression during recording, but sometimes it's
unavoidable.

Harvey Gerst

I find it's mostly dependant upon the players and the equipment. If, for
instance, a really good player is playing a POS precision or jazz bass
(whatever), then it's going to be necessary to do a little compression on
the way in to compensate for the inability of the instrument to play evenly.
Even a really good player can and will fall victim to this problem, although
a real recording pro may compensate. But my liver transplant friend ended
up over here on Saturday and his Alembic through a Behringer (both the SVT
and Peavey CS400 weren't needed) came through just fine without any
compression. Good instrument and good player.

Vocalist with knowledge of proper mic techniques are the easiest to record.
They are spot on whenever they sing. Those whose tendencies are to move
around and forget where the mic is need some compression so that you can
increase the gain on the mic to get them somewhat off axis and still get
usable volume. Then it becomes a problem with EQing on mixdown to fix.
With those that know and understand where the mic is at all times (Ray
Charles comes to mind) then you don't need to worry.

I'd rather err in favor of natural recording if the players and instruments
are a known quality. Trusting the players is the first choice. If you know
a musician isn't trustworthy in how they handle the recording process, well,
that's part of being an engineer. It's not about having every possible
solution on tap at the push of a button. It's about being a part of the
experience of making the music. Most musicians don't realize how important
the engineer is to the making of music during a recording, but then that's
not their job. What our job entails IS knowing that we're part of the music
without letting the musicians know we are. It's like an offensive lineman
in football. The only time you hear their names is when they are called for
a foul. Musicians are a fragile bunch of people, always needing
reinforcement on their abilities, on their performance on a particular
passage they find difficult, whatever. By taking that point of possible
contention out of the process, an engineer has done their job. Whether it
includes compression on the way in or not is all part of the engineer doing
their job, based on the knowledge they have of the players, the room, the
mics and placement and the quality of the instruments. From there on it's
the musician's responsibility to supply the music.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"Harvey Gerst" wrote in message
"Mark" wrote:

[...]

Roger W. Norman

And how do you see using compression on the way in freeing up headroom?
Apparent quiet passages of music may well eat up headroom, whilst loud
passages of individual instruments may leave a significant amount of
headroom. One can't look at things being as simple as one part being
recorded in what appears on the waveform as quiet because it may well be
lots of energy recorded low. Once one brings it up in the mix, it eats the
headroom up anyway AND you may have noise becoming part of that headroom
that's eaten up.

Bitrate (word depth is the correct way to look at it) is a matter of going
down from 0 dBFS. 24 bits of TRUE dynamics would result in the quietest
point being 144 dB down from 0 dBFS. But the maximum output sans distortion
is still 0 dBFS, so you don't gain headroom by going to 24 bits unless you
adjust your thinking to equalling something like -18 or -20 dB down as the
realistic 0 VU that one would find within an analog environment. That would
give you about 20 dB of headroom. The average decent console would have
somewhat of 24 dB of headroom prior to unusable distortion. If, for
instance, one recorded all tracks at -10 dBFS and wanted to mix it, they'd
probably be required to turn each track DOWN in order to maintain headroom.
Trying to record any track at a greater word depth and then fill it up with
recording is a good example of not understanding just what the word depth
does in terms of digital recording. In realistic terms, one needs to
establish a set point that equals a reasonable headroom recording without
trying to use all the bits. First of all, it's impossible because
converters have thermal noise, and second of all, it's not a natural method
of instruments to supply a certain input signal that equals other naturally
louder instruments. By looking at input strictly as input signal, one is
ignoring the input's characteristics, such as dynamic attack, like the
difference between a kick drum and a snare, or the difference between a well
strummed guitar vs a shred lead guitar attack.

Tools don't make these judgements. People do. Trying to manipulate the
recording environment based simply on technical specs doesn't do any person
you record justice. It simply makes problems in the recording apparent. To
make a difference at the top end of 0 dBFS. The difference occurs at just
how quiet the particular track can become without going into thermal noise
of the converter. Beautiful records were recorded using about 75 dB (max)
of dynamic headroom. And that's the high point where the needle, on
playback, would probably jump out of the groove, depending on bass content,
etc.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"David Grant" wrote in message

[...]

Roger W. Norman

Bob Olhsson has said a number of times that a well tracked tune practically
mixes itself, primarily because a number of mixing decisions are already
made due to the LACK of their necessity to be addressed during the mixing
process. It's the difference of being proactively involved with the
tracking as opposed to the oft used passive tracking where all tracks are
represented at their maximum values sans distortion, but don't represent
where the music was going at the time. On mixdown it can be severely
misinterpreted what the music wanted to do at the time. By paying attention
to the music at the time of the performance and gaining a recording that
recognizes what the engineer realized was needed, the tracks then become
apparent as to what the music was trying to say.

And if one doesn't realize that the music is actually trying to tell you,
the engineer, what it wants means that you aren't actually an engineer yet.

I can give you an example in the video world of live concerts. A director
may be good at calling shots and setting up the next image, but if he's
focusing on the piano player and the guitar is doing it's lead, he doesn't
get it. And a really GOOD director will understand the music well enough to
come up with who's going to be doing their solo next and have the proper
camera on the correct player.

We just need to understand where the correct player is and then all the rest
of the stuff falls into place.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
wrote:

[...]

Matrixmusic

A short attack may couse harmonic distortion, when the attack is faster

than the signal frequency. - use a slower attack on bass signals.
A longer attack let the transients through without procession. You can
use this to increase the attack.

Is this because the compressor will start compressing on both sides of
the waveform?
kevin

Mark

Matrixmusic wrote:
A short attack may couse harmonic distortion, when the attack is

faster

than the signal frequency. - use a slower attack on bass signals.
A longer attack let the transients through without procession. You

can
use this to increase the attack.

Is this because the compressor will start compressing on both sides

of
the waveform?
kevin

It's because the compressor gain changes so fast it will actually
follow the low frequency waveform and reduce gain during the peaks of
the sine wave (both + and - peaks) and increase gain during the trough
of the sine wave. This "compresses" the sine wave just like odd order
distortion does.

Mark

Roger W. Norman

This is one of those "I don't know why" questions. You can't compress
before a pre. The word "pre" means BEFORE. It's necessary to take the
minimal signal coming from a small amount of movement of a diaphragm
affecting a magnetized structure (in terms of dynamic mics) or the
fluctuation of juice flowing through a backplate in a condensor mic, and
amplify it via a pre (there IS a Pre-pre in the mic, but it only raises the
signal to a recognizable signal level for the actual external PRE (some
newer digital mics work slightly different, but not enough that you'd know
it other than sending out a digital signal). If you were to try to compress
prior to making it a workable signal, you wouldn't be doing anything, which
is why we don't do it that way. If a "pre" has a compresser built in, it's
still POST the pre. With the exception of the actual pickup element,
EVERYTHING is POST to the pre. That's why we have mic trims (pre gain) on
consoles. You can't turn it up if what's coming in isn't matched up to the
gain structure of the rest of the unit.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

.
If you have a noisy environment (or a noisy mic or preamp) that you
really can't get away with compressing heavily, by compressing what
you're monitoring, you can hear that in real time and solve the
problem before it comes around to bite you.

since the compressor comes after the mic pre...if the environment, mic
or mic pre is noisy,
compressing the pre output won't make it any better, in fact it will
probably make it worse... no?

If you could compress the audio BEFORE it goes into the mic, that would
help, that's what a good performer can do.... no???

Mark

Harvey Gerst

"David Grant" wrote:

Mark,

Yes, and no. Sometimes compression can help during tracking (wild
variations when recording vocals, bass, or acoustic guitar, for
example). The trick is to use a little bit going in, and then add more
if needed, during the mixdown. I try to avoid any compression when
tracking drums, but I'll add some to the kick and snare during the mix
session.

I'd rather not use any compression during recording, but sometimes it's
unavoidable.

I've been wondering about this lately actually Harvey. Why should it make
any difference whether compression is added after/before tracking? Using it
before could free up some headroom I agree, but could you not alternatively
just up the bitrate of your recording?

Dave,

When I track, I try to optimize my gain structure as much as possible
for dealing with the lowest possible signal level I'm likely to
encounter during a song. With some of the low ouput mics I use (like
the SM7 or some of the ribbons), it means not adding more noise from
added gain, so my low level signals might be hitting at -20dB or so, but
there's not much noise.

When a shouting part comes along (that threatens to come close to, or
top out at 0), I reach for a compressor to provide a little safety
margin. Since I now know the singer's gonna be all over the place, I
know I'll need to add compression during mixdown, so I'll give it a
touch of compression going in, rather than waiting till I mix.

It also helps me know that an untrained singer ain't gonna get too loud
and mess up a decent take by creating some digital clipping cuz I didn't
allow enough headroom.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
David Grant

[...]

Okay, I see what you're saying. But theoretically speaking, if you had
infinite bitrate then adding compression beforehand vs. afterwards would
make no difference, correct?

david

Really good compressors are excellent friends. A crappy compressor is
not your friend. Spend time with a really good compressor and your work
will benefit.

Compression is an important part of the craft. It can make your job as
an engineer considerably easier. Learning about them takes years of
fiddlin' and diddlin' (as Johnny Most used to say). The key to using
them is not some magic setting, but using and trusting your ears.

If you own a nice compressor, jump in the water with it and get wet.
Don't be stupid, but don't be a pussy either.

Trust your ears more than your eyes.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Okay, I see what you're saying. But theoretically speaking, if you had
infinite bitrate then adding compression beforehand vs. afterwards would
make no difference, correct?

Only if you have zero noise. Forget "bitrate" (word length). It
doesn't determine whether you use compression or not, because with
today's technology (and even yesterday's) it's a trivial contributor
to the total system noise.

We used to compress all the time when going to tape because the tape's
noise was some 50 dB greater digital noise. The potential dynamic
range of the medium was some 40 dB less than with even 16-bit digital
recording of the day. With a limited amount of dynamic range usable on
tape, it was more important to try to fit the input source within that
range even if it meant lowering the dynamic range ahead of the
recorder. That way, the quiet parts would still be above the noise
floor of the tape, while the loud parts wouldn't drive the tape or the
recording amplifiers into saturation.

With 40+ dB of available dynamic range greater than with tape, the
need for squeezing the source to fit the media isn't important.
However, with that lower noise floor, we can more easily hear low
level noises that would be masked by tape hiss. If we compress,
regardless of whether it's before or after the recording, that noise
will become more audible (because that's what compression does). So
the more you compress, the quieter the quiet parts of your source must
be.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Mike Caffrey

David Grant wrote:

[...]

Compression brings up the noise floor, so if you know that you going to
be adding substantila compression, say for an effect on drum room mics,
I'd do that going to tape, so that you don't bring up the tape hiss
during the mix. Also, if the amount of gear is limited you can stretech
it further. Suppose you had one stereo compressor, use it on the drums
rooms, then on vocal overdubs then on the stereo buss during mixing.

That's mostly relevant to analog oriented recording.

If you tracking into and then mxing in a box, you might want to track
with it so you get a device, not a plug-in. Say, a real LA-2A or a
Distressor and then skip the plug-in.

hank alrich

David Grant wrote:

Harvey Gerst:

[...]

Remember, too, that Harvey was working back when bitrates weren't
relevant and a lot of us got used to making sonic decisions early on,
putting on tape what we wanted to come back off of it or as close as we
could get, commiting to a mix right at the tracking stage. Having an
infinite bitrate and having a big mental aural picture of finished
product are different things. g

--
ha
Lorin David Schultz

"Harvey Gerst" wrote:

[...] Since I now know the singer's gonna be all over the place, I
know I'll need to add compression during mixdown, so I'll give it a
touch of compression going in, rather than waiting till I mix.

What he said. Like I always say, "Compress early and often!"

A few stages of light compression are (usually) less offensive than one
big squish.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Tracy Wintermute

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:46:38 GMT, SSJVCmag
wrote:

Highly Suggested Reading...

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.p...875/#msg_24875

Good link, thanks JV!

The language is a bit of a colorful/regional dialect kinda thing, but
the content certainly illustrates the point I was trying to make.

Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch