Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ewan Ewan is offline

Default Rogue audio application

Hi,

Somehow the microphone on my Thinkpad is playing back over the audio
channel so that when I listen over headphones I hear noises of keys being
typed and the laptop case being touched. When I try and play back with
Real Player it tells me that another application is using the audio device.

Any ideas how I can isolate the application which is doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Ewan

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Ewan" wrote ...
Somehow the microphone on my Thinkpad is playing back over the audio
channel so that when I listen over headphones I hear noises of keys being
typed and the laptop case being touched. When I try and play back with
Real Player it tells me that another application is using the audio
device.

Any ideas how I can isolate the application which is doing this?

Assuming you are running MSwindows, open the Sound
Mixer applet and turn down (or mute) the various sources
that you don't want to hear. Chances are that the microphone
is selected as a recording source, and something in the
playback mixer is picking up the recording source(s).

Posted to rec.audio.tech
JohnR66 JohnR66 is offline

"Ewan" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Somehow the microphone on my Thinkpad is playing back over the audio
channel so that when I listen over headphones I hear noises of keys being
typed and the laptop case being touched. When I try and play back with
Real Player it tells me that another application is using the audio
device.

Any ideas how I can isolate the application which is doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Ewan

I assume the mic is enabled as a playback device (Windows). Double click on
the volume control icon on the lower right of the task bar go to options and
see if it is set for "playback mode". If mic shows in that mode, mute it.
John

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ewan Ewan is offline

Thanks a lot. The problem has now gone. I clicked on the SoundMax setup in
control panel and although I aborted the wizard the problem cleared up.
Strange. Especially as TotalRecorder could coexist with the "rogue echoer"
whereas RealPlayer, Itunes etc reported problems. The mysteries of windows.
Ewan

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:40:01 +0100, JohnR66 wrote:

"Ewan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Ewan" wrote...
Thanks a lot. The problem has now gone. I clicked on the SoundMax setup in
control panel and although I aborted the wizard the problem cleared up.
Strange. Especially as TotalRecorder could coexist with the "rogue echoer"
whereas RealPlayer, Itunes etc reported problems. The mysteries of
windows.

Or perhaps the wierdness of spamware like "RealPlayer"
Many (most?) of us avoid "RealPlayer" at any cost.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:19:40 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Ewan" wrote...
Thanks a lot. The problem has now gone. I clicked on the SoundMax setup in
control panel and although I aborted the wizard the problem cleared up.
Strange. Especially as TotalRecorder could coexist with the "rogue echoer"
whereas RealPlayer, Itunes etc reported problems. The mysteries of
windows.

Or perhaps the wierdness of spamware like "RealPlayer"
Many (most?) of us avoid "RealPlayer" at any cost.

The cost of avoidance is pretty cheap. "Real Alternative" is the free
one to use.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
"Ewan" wrote...
Thanks a lot. The problem has now gone. I clicked on the SoundMax setup
in control panel and although I aborted the wizard the problem cleared
up. Strange. Especially as TotalRecorder could coexist with the "rogue
echoer" whereas RealPlayer, Itunes etc reported problems. The mysteries
of windows.

Or perhaps the wierdness of spamware like "RealPlayer"
Many (most?) of us avoid "RealPlayer" at any cost.

And I should have added "iTunes" to that list.
I've never encountered such a counter-intuitive application
since the days of pre-Windows DOS. It is frequently so
slow that I can't even tell if it is still running. I once waited
30 minutes for it to react to a mouse-click.