e.maynard

Default Sony 7506 Headphones

Hi. I own quite a few pairs of Sony 7506's. My only 2 gripes are the
way the earpads "shed" after a little while. Anyone have a source for
Cheap replacements? The other thing is the coiled cord. It always gets
tangled around stuff. I'd love to rewire them with straight, longer
cord. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to find Headphone Cable
(light flexible gauge) in lengths longer than 25 feet?

Thanks........
Dave

I ran the model number through their PartsPlus page, and I got this reply.
I'm not sure if the earpads are
the $2.00 item or not.
https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/Par...px?stype=parts

dave

"e.maynard" wrote in message
om...
Hi. I own quite a few pairs of Sony 7506's. My only 2 gripes are the
way the earpads "shed" after a little while. Anyone have a source for
Cheap replacements? The other thing is the coiled cord. It always gets
tangled around stuff. I'd love to rewire them with straight, longer
cord. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to find Headphone Cable
(light flexible gauge) in lengths longer than 25 feet?

Thanks........

G. Louie

Within the last week, someone here asked the same question, but for the
nearly identical Sony MDRV6. The replacements are available at the Sony
website for $5.95 each. If you have trouble finding them, I'll get the
info when I'm at work.

In article ,
e.maynard wrote:
Hi. I own quite a few pairs of Sony 7506's. My only 2 gripes are the
way the earpads "shed" after a little while. Anyone have a source for
Cheap replacements? The other thing is the coiled cord. It always gets
tangled around stuff. I'd love to rewire them with straight, longer
cord. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to find Headphone Cable
(light flexible gauge) in lengths longer than 25 feet?

Thanks........

anybody-but-bush

New Question:

I have one pair with a blown out driver. Anyone know if someone out there can fix them or sell
me the parts?

Thanks
Phil

Ty Ford

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:41:22 -0400, e.maynard wrote
(in article ) :

Hi. I own quite a few pairs of Sony 7506's. My only 2 gripes are the
way the earpads "shed" after a little while. Anyone have a source for
Cheap replacements? The other thing is the coiled cord. It always gets
tangled around stuff. I'd love to rewire them with straight, longer
cord. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to find Headphone Cable
(light flexible gauge) in lengths longer than 25 feet?

Thanks........

You're using headphones and need 25 feet of cable? Why?

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford

Scott Dorsey

anybody-but-bush Anybody But wrote:

New Question:

I have one pair with a blown out driver. Anyone know if someone out there can fix them or sell
me the parts?

Sure. Sony will do it. Harris/Allied is a Sony dealer and they will sell
you the parts.

Make absolutely sure that it's not the cord before you replace drivers,
though. Cord failures are much more common. And replace the cord as a
full assembly; don't try to solder to the tinsel wire.

Roger W. Norman

Some people use them for studio live room monitoring. Personally I like the
beyer DT770s, but as far as having $100 headphones abused in the studio,
I've moved to el cheapos that don't necessarily hold up under abuse, but are
far cheaper to replace. 7506s can get pretty loud although they aren't
comfortable nor do they actually represent what is being sent to them, but
they work. As far as 25 foot cables, well, I guess that there's not a
centrally located headphone monitoring system. I use inexpensive 25'
extensions with my Oz Audio and generally only have to replace them every
couple of years.

Then again, I've been meaning to move over to the Akai wireless as I can
actually get a number of mixes out to the studio with the same Oz Audio and
tuning in different mix frequencies.

I think you missed the fact that the man has "quite a few pairs" which
certainly suggests to me that he's using them for monitoring in the studio,
not mixing in the control room.

--
-----------

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:41:22 -0400, e.maynard wrote
(in article ) :

Hi. I own quite a few pairs of Sony 7506's. My only 2 gripes are the
way the earpads "shed" after a little while. Anyone have a source for
Cheap replacements? The other thing is the coiled cord. It always gets
tangled around stuff. I'd love to rewire them with straight, longer
cord. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to find Headphone Cable
(light flexible gauge) in lengths longer than 25 feet?

Thanks........

You're using headphones and need 25 feet of cable? Why?

Regards,

Ty Ford

-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other

audiocentric
stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford

normanstrong

"e.maynard" wrote in message
om...
Hi. I own quite a few pairs of Sony 7506's. My only 2 gripes are the
way the earpads "shed" after a little while. Anyone have a source

for
Cheap replacements? The other thing is the coiled cord. It always

gets
tangled around stuff. I'd love to rewire them with straight, longer
cord. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to find Headphone Cable
(light flexible gauge) in lengths longer than 25 feet?

A replacement earpad for the 7506 is part no. X-2113-103-1. They sell
for $12/pr. and are much sturdier than the original earpads. You
should not have to replace them a second time.

As for the cable, the best solution is to add a 20' headphone
extension cord that is not coiled. The original coiled cord should
not be changed. I recommend www.mcmelectronics.com, part No.24-695,
for $3.12 in quantities of 5 ea. Plug the existing coiled cord into
the 20' extension and tie an overhand knot at the junction, so that it
can't accidentally disconnect.

Norm Strong

Geoff Wood

normanstrong wrote:
"e.maynard" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I just use mic cable with male and female 1/4" stereo jacks. Use
substantial metal ones, 'cos they get trod on.

geoff

Rob Reedijk

Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:
normanstrong wrote:
As for the cable, the best solution is to add a 20' headphone
extension cord that is not coiled. The original coiled cord should
not be changed. I recommend www.mcmelectronics.com, part No.24-695,
for $3.12 in quantities of 5 ea. Plug the existing coiled cord into
the 20' extension and tie an overhand knot at the junction, so that it
can't accidentally disconnect.

I just use mic cable with male and female 1/4" stereo jacks. Use
substantial metal ones, 'cos they get trod on.

I actually use mic cables. I made some adaptors (TRS-XLR) that allow
me to convert mic cables to HP extension cords. Now I can run whatever
length I want and it reduces the nuber ot TRS-M to TRS-F connections,
which are always the weak point. I guess what I really should do
is change the connectors on the headphones to XLR to make it even more
reliable, but then it makes it harder to use them in other places.

The problem with TRS-M to TRS-F connections is that they don't handle
being moved around very well.

Rob R.
Kurt Albershardt

Rob Reedijk wrote:
Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:

normanstrong wrote:

As for the cable, the best solution is to add a 20' headphone
extension cord that is not coiled. The original coiled cord should
not be changed. I recommend www.mcmelectronics.com, part No.24-695,
for $3.12 in quantities of 5 ea. Plug the existing coiled cord into
the 20' extension and tie an overhand knot at the junction, so that it
can't accidentally disconnect.

I just use mic cable with male and female 1/4" stereo jacks. Use
substantial metal ones, 'cos they get trod on.

I actually use mic cables. I made some adaptors (TRS-XLR) that allow
me to convert mic cables to HP extension cords. Now I can run whatever
length I want and it reduces the nuber ot TRS-M to TRS-F connections,
which are always the weak point.

I use adapters for the XLRF-TRSF portion at the user end, but pigtails for the source end to prevent jack damage on the source equipment.

I guess what I really should do
is change the connectors on the headphones to XLR to make it even more
reliable, but then it makes it harder to use them in other places.

Might make potential thieves think twice about lifting a pair, too ;

Kurt Albershardt

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Rob Reedijk wrote:

Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:

normanstrong wrote:

As for the cable, the best solution is to add a 20' headphone
extension cord that is not coiled. The original coiled cord should
not be changed. I recommend www.mcmelectronics.com, part No.24-695,
for $3.12 in quantities of 5 ea. Plug the existing coiled cord into
the 20' extension and tie an overhand knot at the junction, so that it
can't accidentally disconnect.

I just use mic cable with male and female 1/4" stereo jacks. Use
substantial metal ones, 'cos they get trod on.

I actually use mic cables. I made some adaptors (TRS-XLR) that allow
me to convert mic cables to HP extension cords. Now I can run whatever
length I want and it reduces the nuber ot TRS-M to TRS-F connections,
which are always the weak point.

I use adapters for the XLRF-TRSF portion at the user end, but pigtails
for the source end to prevent jack damage on the source equipment.

Confusion reduction: the adapter is XLRM-TRSF so it can plug into the XLRF on the end of the wire.

Carey Carlan

Rob Reedijk wrote in
:

I guess what I really should do
is change the connectors on the headphones to XLR to make it even more
reliable, but then it makes it harder to use them in other places.

Go ahead and change them.

1) XLR-TRS adapters for other sites are no harder to make.
2) XLR terminated headphones will be less likely to walk away.
Geoff Wood

Carey Carlan wrote:
Rob Reedijk wrote in
:

I guess what I really should do
is change the connectors on the headphones to XLR to make it even
more reliable, but then it makes it harder to use them in other
places.

Go ahead and change them.

1) XLR-TRS adapters for other sites are no harder to make.
2) XLR terminated headphones will be less likely to walk away.

Talking about 'walking away' for a whiole AKG had 3.5mm stereo jacks at the
phones end of their headphone cables. Now they've moved to mini-XLRs.

Now, when you 'walk away' or stand up while standing on the lead, the
mini-jack would merely pull out. The locking mini-XLRs don't pull out -
that is generally not a Good Thing ....!

geoff