Scott Johnson

Default Problems with installing 2 Amps

sounds like a bad amp.

"Corwin" wrote in message
Hi,
I just installed a bunch of stuff in my girlfriends's 92 Dodge Shadow.
There's a couple problems I'm having.. One of them is engine noise (at

least
I think it is).

The car audio place installed her Sony CDXL410X deck for her, and when I
went to install the amps, I saw that the Amp 12v lead was soldered to
something else inside, and only the power antenna lead was free, but that
one only works when the radio is on. So i clipped it, and connected that

the amp power on lead, and it works. Would I have to reconnect whatever it
was i clipped? I dont know what could have been connected to that on the
wiring harness, she doesn't even have a power antenna.

Another problem is one of the amps cuts out when there is heavy bass about
to kick in. There are 2 amps: One Kenwood 4 x 35 WRMS (or something) I

dont
remmeber the model number, and One Road Gear crappy 20 x 2 WRMS. I've

wired
the power to a distribution block and then separately to the amps, then
grounded them to one grounding point with(its been suggested that I

separate
them, but then other sources say i should use the same ground??). The 12v
remote turn on is daisy chained from the Kenwood to the Road Gear. and the
RCA's are going into the Kenwood inputs and then output RCA's go from the
kenwood to the road gear. The Kenwood cuts out when I have both amps

running
and the bass hits hard... when I disconnect the road gear amp it runs

find..
I can crank it until it clips the hell out of the speakers and its
distortion heaven with all the gains on maximum. I can't even MAKE it cut
out, but once i hook up that dinky 20 x 2 it starts clipping early.

I also had to run the speaker wire for the front left speaker along the
power wire side, since we didn't have enough speaker wire to make it on

the
right side and all around. I'm guessing this could cause some noise, but
would it cause noise in all the speakers or just the speaker for which the
wire was going to?

Anyone make anything of this? THanks

neL

Corwin

The Kenwood? why would it work when wired on its own if it were 'bad'..?
However If you mean bad meaning its not a very good amp, yeah i agree... but
she bought it not me

Nelson

sounds like a bad amp.

"Corwin" wrote in message
[...]

The Lizard

saw that the Amp 12v lead was soldered to
something else inside, and only the power antenna lead was free, but that
one only works when the radio is on. So i clipped it,

By virtue of the fact that you just admitted to cutting a wire without
knowing it's function, you have proven your incompetance at car audio,
electronics, bomb diffusing, and critical thinking skills in general.

However, if everything is functioning as it was before, than chances are
the wire you clipped was only connected because the installer was wiring
as much together as possible.

Another problem is one of the amps cuts out when there is heavy bass about
to kick in. There are 2 amps: One Kenwood 4 x 35 WRMS (or something) I dont
remmeber the model number, and One Road Gear crappy 20 x 2 WRMS. I've wired
the power to a distribution block and then separately to the amps, then
grounded them to one grounding point with(its been suggested that I separate
them, but then other sources say i should use the same ground??).

It doesn't really matter if they share a ground. You should ground it to
the floor of the vehicle, and the grounding point should be tight and
free of paint, rust, blood, candle wax, and gerbil fur.

The 12v
remote turn on is daisy chained from the Kenwood to the Road Gear. and the
RCA's are going into the Kenwood inputs and then output RCA's go from the
kenwood to the road gear. The Kenwood cuts out when I have both amps running
and the bass hits hard... when I disconnect the road gear amp it runs find..
I can crank it until it clips the hell out of the speakers and its
distortion heaven with all the gains on maximum. I can't even MAKE it cut
out, but once i hook up that dinky 20 x 2 it starts clipping early.

What size wire are you using? If it's 10 gauge or smaller, you should
probably upgrade to at least 8 gauge. But, before you do that, check
your grounds and make sure they're nice and tight.

I also had to run the speaker wire for the front left speaker along the
power wire side, since we didn't have enough speaker wire to make it on the
right side and all around. I'm guessing this could cause some noise, but
would it cause noise in all the speakers or just the speaker for which the
wire was going to?

This won't cause noise. Your speaker wire is trasmitting a much higher
voltage than induced noise is. All indications are that your ground is
****ed up. Once again, remove any paint or rust, and make sure the
ground wires are terminated with ring terminals. Find a spot on the
floorpan, and put a screw in it. HINT: It's a good idea to look
underneath the car for brake lines, fuel lines, and wires before you do
this.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/
Save Farscape http://www.watchfarscape.com