Posted to rec.audio.tech
Veritas Veritas is offline

Default Suggest in-ceiling speakers, please.

jfk
More options Sep 12, 7:35 am
Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
From: jfk
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: please suggest in_ceiling speakers
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this author
hello

my wife and i are moving into a condominium. we are having a lot of
work done before moving in, and that will include in-ceiling speakers.

we are not much into movies, ans so have no interest in reproducing
theater sound with large speakers. we play orchestral music all the
time though, and so want something which will produce good sound on
our audio equipment, or do a good job with HD radio through a
receiver.

you can imagine the size of the living room in a condo, and understand
that we won't have a dedicated room available for listening or
theater. we may wire two rooms for sound, but haven't made that
decision yet.

can you please recommend speakers for us to consider. we don't have
thousands of dollars to put into this, so would be grateful if you
would only suggest mid range quality speakers.

thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Veritas wrote:

jfk
More options Sep 12, 7:35 am
Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
From: jfk
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
[...]

Despite your insistence that you are not a serious listener (at least it
sounds that way to me), if you insist on a built-in solution, you might
consider 'in-wall' rather than ceiling speakers. Imaging is much
improved if the speakers are at eye-level.

Google will be your best friend here. I don't think too many serious
listeners will have much experience with either solution; but as I said,
I think you'd much rather have them in the wall than above your head.

One caveat: if you share a floor, ceiling or wall with an adjacent unit,
you'll do well to investigate whether there will be sufficient isolation
if you install a speaker on that common boundary.

jak
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Veritas Veritas is offline

On Sep 15, 9:26*am, jakdedert wrote:
Veritas wrote:

jfk
* * More options Sep 12, 7:35 am
Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
From: jfk
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
[...]

thanks for your help.

i have in-wall speakers in my home and would prefer them, but in the
condominium, one wall is not accessable, which makes the speakers
either asymetrically positioned, or one in-wall and one in-ceiling.
That is why I am opting for in-ceiling speakers.

you apparently have a grasp on what we are trying to do. can you
suggest some speakers?

thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Rudi Fischer Rudi Fischer is offline

"Veritas" wrote:

[...]

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=3496
http://www.jblpro.com/pages/install/cc_main.htm
http://www.kef.com/products/ciseries/ci130_2qs.asp

Rudi Fischer
--
....and may good music always be with you.