S888Wheel

Default Audiophile glossary

A very concise description of the difference in sound between a Steinway
(that I played last night) and a Bosendorfer I played today: The Steinway
displayed a far more complex series of more prominent overtones than did the
Bosendorfer, while the Bosy had a longer and more even decay. This could
have been described as a clearer and more fundamental sound in the
Bosendorfer, or as a less focused, diffuse and richer sound of the Steinway.
The Steinway sounded bigger, while the Bosy posessed more of a sparkle and a
cleaner bass.

I very much like your descriptions. I think I understand them quite clearly. I
do feel compelled to point out the following terms you used are figurative;
cleaner, focused, and sparkle. I would not wish to dissuade you from using
these figurative terms even though I am confident that sanitation, optics and
prismatic reflections and refractions had nothing to do with what you heard.
Like I said. I like what you wrote and I think I understood it well.

S888Wheel

Tom said

Even that doesn't work. None of those descriptions have a basis in sound.
They
all describe some other sense, some physical attribute other than acoustical
sound or some psychological human aspect.

I said

"Bright" is different in what way? Is "bright" acceptable or unacceptable
descriptive language? If it is acceptable then your objection to descriptive
words that have no basis in sound simply does not hold water.

Tom said

It's a visual term applied to acoustics and it doesn't fit without an
accompanying description:

Does it mean:

Excessive shelved upper octaves output?

A peak somewhere that exaggerates sibilance or cymbals?

A upward tilted bass to treble balance?

It is a term applied to vision. So is it acceptable at all ever for describing
sound or not? If it does then your objections to other figurative terms based
on their application to other senses simply does not hold water. By the way.
Many people use the term bright when describing what they hear with no
accompanying description. Does that make the description meaningless? Does it
make it unacceptable?

Tom said

There's nothing wrong with metaphor but those terms have no meaning other
than
to the individual using them because they do not describe any aspects of
sound
either physically or psychoacoustically.

I said

Metaphors are inherently imprecise. But once again, someone claims that they
are meaningless. That is just nonsense.

Tom said

As used in audio description they often have little usefulness being too
general, often related to a whole whole set of possible causes, but more often
than not .....exist only in the imagination of the describee.

People can be too general with figurative language or technical terminology.
Excessive generalizations are not exclusive to figurative speech. You will not
solve this problem by eliminating figurative speech. Also, what one person
finds useful another may not. We do get down to what i believe is the root
issue with figurative language. I believe the real gripe you and others have is
the belief over what is and is not audible. Reviewers in audio magazines who
hold different beliefs about what is and is not audible also seem to be more
liberal with their figurative descriptions of what they hear. I think it is
guilt by association and anything associated with subjective sighted reviews is
deemed bad.

I said

There is a lot of room between
universal understanding and zero understanding. Metaphors are a common means
of
communication for many people in audio and beyond audio. Your objections will
not change that fact. Criticism of people for using them will more likely
lead
to alienation rather than better communication.

Tom said

I'm not objecting to the use of metaphor; I just want to add some meaning.

Fair enough. It is being discussed on this thread and two glossaries have been
cited.

Tom said

My solution is to drop the word audiophile from my resume.

I said

I never saw any point in listing my hobbies on my resume.

Tom said

That was a figurative point.

I know. I was making a light joke.

Tom said

But in this arena you describe yourself as such
do you not?

Yes.

Tom said

In today's world an
"audiophile" who spends more time talking about his system than listening to
it
and spends large amounts of time on "tweaks" that have no acoustic effect and
then a large amount of time convincing himself that they do.

I said

Thank goodness your world doesn't include stereotyping. Does this mean I have
to listen less and talk more about audio to meet your definition or am I
simply
not allowed to call myself an audiophile? The only other alternative I see is
to claim your painting of audiophiles simply has no global truth to it.

Tom said

I think the shoe fits in your case.

An interesting accusation from someone who spends zero time with me in person
and has made more posts on audio message boards than I have by an order of
magnitude.

Tom said

Other wise you might be testing some of
your beliefs that do not align with what we know about acoustical delivery of
modern audio systems.

Gosh I thought you said "In today's world an 'audiophile' who spends more time
talking about his system than listening to it" in fact I'm sure you did. hence
the quotes. what does testing my beliefs have to do with the ratio of time
spent listening to time spent talking? You say the shoe fits, you know nothing
about how much listening I do since you have never spent any time in my home
and you offer irrelevant questions to support an accusation that I fit your
original stereotype of an audiophile. Oh, you also said
"and spends large amounts of time on "tweaks" that have no acoustic effect and
then a large amount of time convincing himself that they do." If the shoe fits
as you say then please tell us what tweaks that have no acoustic effect do you
know I have a spent large amount of time on? And please tell me once you
realize you have made an accusation about my habits as an audiophile based
purely on your own stereotypical assumptions, why should I take seriously the
opinions of someone who purports to be objective and scientific when that same
person shows such fatally flawed reasoning in making accusations about my
habits as an audiophile?

Bruce Abrams

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

[...]

That was exactly my point when I wrote the last paragraph...
None of the descriptors I could come up with, however, convey as accurate

sense of the sonic difference as the true description regarding the voicing
of overtones. Does everyone know what I would mean in such a "technical"
description? Probably not, but they would if I explained it, and I wouldn't
have to resort to such terms as previously listed in our glossary.

The only true sonic description was the "technical" one dealing with the
overtones. All else is vague language with multiple interpretations.

Nousaine

(S888Wheel) wrote:

Tom said

This idea is a stereotype. The "objectivists" have conducted ALL the

research
on psychacoustics and perception that has ever been done.

I said

Really? I thought "objectivists" as used in audio was a subset of

audiophiles
with a particular philosophy. All scientific psychoacoustic research has

been
done by this subset of audiophiles? I doubt it. It looks like another

attempt
to co-opt science to me.

Tom said

That's how you define it.

I don't think I am alone in that regard.

Tom said

I've never met a single "subjectivist" who has worked
at Bell Labs or conducted serious research on audibility at any level.

I never met one that was an objectivist audiophile. Go figure.

You should get out more. I know several.

Tom said

Your point is fair enough if taken at high enough level but even at the
hobbyist level subejctivists simply do not conduct even modest bias control
techniques.

I don't know how you can make such a broad claim as fact. Do you know who
every
subjectivist in the world is and how they attempt to control biases in their
auditions of equipment?

If they made honest attaempts they would no longer be "subjectivists" unless
that includes those like Pinkerton and me.

I thought Stewart considered himself to be a
subjectivist.

So am I. But I've long ago left the term "audiophile" behind because so many of
them are an embarassment to the hobby.

Modest bias control techniques does not make for valid science.
It is simply a different ball game and cannot be put in the same category as
the published psychoacoustic research done by scientists. By the way, did I
mention that I exercise modest bias controls much of the time when making
comparisons?

Tell us more.

Tom said

And they continually ignore non-confirming experience. Who, among us, hasn't
ever had an experience where a given effect was "heard" when the switch was
in
the wrong position.

:::Raises hand from the back of the classroom::: Me. I haven't. OTOH there
have
been a few occasions when an expected difference failed to manifest itself
only
to find the proverbial switch being in the wrong position. IOW When I have
caught this sort of mistake I didn't hear what I expected to hear under the
assumption that no such mistake had been made.

Well I've met people who have made this statement before and the one's I know
personally have been easy to trick into 'hearing' expected effects that aren't
present in the system.

Tom said

No matter how hard it is argued I cannot point to an existing subjectivist
that
has contributed a lasting confirmed improvement to audio quality. Of course,
many of them have contributed to marketing and merchandising of high-end
products.

You are entitled to your opinions. I can point to several that have clearly
contributed to improvements in the sound quality of my playback. I see no
point
in claiming my experiences are universal. I don't know how one would call a
perceived improvement in sound as being "confirmed."But I would challenge you
to find any objectivist who has done a better job of designing turntables,
arms
and cartridges than the best efforts of subjectivists.

That would be Bob Kita of Shure Brothers.

I would also challenge
you to find better mastering efforts from any self-proclaimed objectivist in
comparison to that of the top subjectivist mastering engineers.

That would be John Eargle of Delos.

The efforts
of
such people do profoundly contribute to improvements in audio quality.

Tom said

The largest example is high-end wire. A small industry developed to sell
accessory that has never been shown to actually change, let alone improve,
sound quality.

OTOH we could also talk about speaker designers.

Yes, and ......?

Bruce Abrams

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
chung wrote:
Bruce Abrams wrote:

I hope I've allayed everyone's fears that I'm not interested in

adhering
strictly to measurements.
*snip*

Ideally, I would like to see a reviewer's subjective comments
accompanied or backed by measurements. So if he says that speaker A
sounds bright compared to B, and the measurements show that there is
indeed a higher response from speaker A above, say 1KHz, then there is
not much confusion. I think "Audio" used to do that.

Sound & Vision and Stereophile do it still.

WRT cables? I don't think so.
Bruce Abrams

"Chris Johnson" wrote in message
In article ,
Bruce Abrams wrote:
Several points here. First of all, I am suggesting neither an
anti-subjectivist view nor the notion that we rely solely on

measurements.
I'm simply suggesting that if the desire of the audio press was to

provide
truly meaningful reviews, they could have come with a far more precise
language to do so. If, for example, such items as the known frequencies

of
certain sounds were published (such as a kick drum, a crash cymbal,

organ
pedal notes in opening of the second movement of Saint Saens organ

symphony,
etc.), reference could be made to the relative levels of those sounds

over
several systems and over time, a far more accurate vocabularly could be
developed.

Are you serious?

Let's discuss the mechanical behavior of your very first example, the
kick drum. In fact, let's leave aside everything about the size of the
shell, the material with which it is constructed, the type of drum head
(very significant) and assume a simple single-headed drum varying only
the tensioning of the head.

You actually make my point even stronger. If reviewers were to describe the
various attributes of the sound of various drum kits on different recordings
and compared their presentations as reproduced by two different speakers,
we'd have a shot at understanding how the systems really sounded. What
we're usually left with is imprecise descriptions centered around terms such
as "tight bass", or some equally meaningless fluff.

If you tension the head rather tight, you get a strong fundamental
note and clearly defined resonances in the manner of a vibrating
diaphragm, like a duller tympani. ('duller' unless your drum shell is in
fact also metal, in which case you might have more pronounced overtones.

As you lower the tension and the drum head comes down to the
fundamental resonance of the shell, the sound is often described as
'round', which is a matter of resonances reinforcing each other-
striking the head produces energy that goes directly into these
resonances, where the tighter head excited a broader range of
resonances. This difference is NOT simply a matter of turning up, or
down, the 'overtones'. The higher tension drum will sustain overtones
for longer, relative to the fundamental. Snare heads are sometimes
cranked to what's called 'plywood tight', which chokes out the
fundamental with sheer tension and leaves mostly overtones to resonate.

As you lower your bass drum's tension further, what happens is the
overtones are no longer able to sustain at all- when you hit the drum
hard, the drumhead snaps forward and almost immediately loses its
resonant energy. Instead of sustaining, the overtones are dissipated in
a single snap of the drumhead membrane. The term used to describe this
effect is 'papery', and it's used by heavy metal drummers to produce a
bass drum sound with a powerful high-frequency crack accentuating the
attack. The reason it's called 'papery' is because the drumhead, a mylar
membrane, begins to sound strikingly like you're hitting the center of a
piece of paper rather than a drum. This is professional drum tuning 101
here...

That sound only develops at such low tension that the membrane cannot
sustain high-frequency vibration. It's a physical alteration of the way
the drumhead's decay behaves. You can take a very high tension bassdrum
(such as what's called a 'gong drum', designed to mimick a tympani) and
a very low tension bass drum, and EQ them to produce precisely the same
frequency envelope, and EVEN doctor the sounds digitally to sustain
exactly the same amount (perhaps cutting off the sustain of the high
tension one and extending the sustain of the low tension one- this can
be done) and your two sounds will STILL be as different as chalk and
cheese to the most untutored listener.

If you're not going to call the tympani-like one 'chimey' or
'ringing' and the loosened one 'papery', how do you propose to describe
this extraordinarily obvious difference?

And that's only your first example, which happened to be ideally
suited for explaining this. With crash cymbals, you'll have a much more
interesting time describing the difference between a vintage Zildjian
thin crash and a ZBT stamped out of sheet bronze and sold to school kids
as a crash, but it will be every bit as obvious.

Again, I agree completely. Use real terms to describe the differences.
Don't just cop out and call the sound of the cymbal as "bright".
Steven Sullivan

chung wrote:
Bruce Abrams wrote:

I hope I've allayed everyone's fears that I'm not interested in

adhering
strictly to measurements.
*snip*

Ideally, I would like to see a reviewer's subjective comments
accompanied or backed by measurements. So if he says that speaker A
sounds bright compared to B, and the measurements show that there is
indeed a higher response from speaker A above, say 1KHz, then there is
not much confusion. I think "Audio" used to do that.

Sound & Vision and Stereophile do it still.

WRT cables? I don't think so.

No , not cables -- but yes, amps/preamps and speakers and digital players.
The post I was responding to was about speakers.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

S888Wheel

Tom said

I've never met a single "subjectivist" who has worked
at Bell Labs or conducted serious research on audibility at any level.

I never met one that was an objectivist audiophile. Go figure.

You should get out more. I know several.
BRBR

Oh I get out but I guess I just don't run with the same crowd as you. My point
was however that your anecdotes about knowing a few scientists who are
objectivist audiophiles doesn't really prove anything. One of my best friends
is a molecular genetic biologist who is researching human hearing. He is a
subjectivist. Doesn't prove anything though does it?

Your point is fair enough if taken at high enough level but even at the
hobbyist level subejctivists simply do not conduct even modest bias control
techniques.

I don't know how you can make such a broad claim as fact. Do you know who
every
subjectivist in the world is and how they attempt to control biases in their
auditions of equipment?

If they made honest attaempts they would no longer be "subjectivists" unless
that includes those like Pinkerton and me. BRBR

OSAF. Unless you have a valid study supporting this assertion.

I thought Stewart considered himself to be a
subjectivist.

So am I. But I've long ago left the term "audiophile" behind because so many of
them are an embarassment to the hobby.
BRBR

Then how on earth do you get along with your objectivist audiophile friends
doing psychoacoustic research?

Modest bias control techniques does not make for valid science.
It is simply a different ball game and cannot be put in the same category as
the published psychoacoustic research done by scientists. By the way, did I
mention that I exercise modest bias controls much of the time when making
comparisons?

Tell us more.

BRBR

What do you want to know?

[...]

Oh I get it. Your anecdote is the truth and mine isn't. I find this highly
biased and lacking in objectivity.

[...]

Shure makes nice cartridges at their respective price points. My friend the
molecular genetic biologist has the Shure V15. But we are talking about " a
lasting confirmed improvement to audio quality." Personally I take the efforts
of the designer of my cartridge, Y Sugano over any efforts from Shure. Again I
would like to point out this notion of 'confirmed" is kind of goofy. all you
have to do is claim any work to advance the state of the Art in audio that has
had a lasting impression isn't "confirmed." Whether you believe it or not, Y
Sugano's work has made a lasting improvement to audio quality for some of us.
Back in 1985 when I discovered highend vinyl playback his cartridges were
widely regarded as the best there is. Almost twenty years later and after his
passing the same is still true. But we didn't discuss tables and arms. I would
argue that the likes of Andy Payor and Peter Forsell have contributed to a
lasting confirmed (as much as any such claim can be confirmed) improvement to
audio quality. Their work is state of the art and has been for over a decade.

I would also challenge
you to find better mastering efforts from any self-proclaimed objectivist in
comparison to that of the top subjectivist mastering engineers.

That would be John Eargle of Delos.
BRBR

I said mastering not recording but I have heard some of Mr. Eargle's work based
on your recomendations. IMO the efforts of Doug Sax, Keith Johnson, and Kavi
Alexander have him beat. The fact remains that in terms of recording the
catalog from Sheffield and Reference Recordings have widely been seen as
benchmarks since both those companies started over twenty years ago. Even
Stewart cited an old Sheffield recording as a personal reference of his. That
would personify an obvious contribution to a lasting "confirmed" improvement to
audio quality. I think you claim that no subjectivist has done this falls flat
on it's face right here.

OTOH we could also talk about speaker designers.

Yes, and ......? BRBR

The efforts of Martin Logan, Wilson Audio, Infinity (the old one) Vandersteen,
Soundlab, Thiel just to name a few have been widely regarded as contributions
to improvements in audio quality. Both at price points and in SOTA efforts.
Once again, I think your claim just doesn't hold water.

ludovic mirabel

Bruce Abrams wrote in message news:X2Cwb.225458$275.858586@attbi_s53...

A very concise description of the difference in sound between a Steinway
(that I played last night) and a Bosendorfer I played today: The Steinway
displayed a far more complex series of more prominent overtones than did

the
Bosendorfer, while the Bosy had a longer and more even decay. This could
have been described as a clearer and more fundamental sound in the
Bosendorfer, or as a less focused, diffuse and richer sound of the

Snip
Steinway. The Steinway sounded bigger, while the Bosy posessed more of a
sparkle and a cleaner bass

The only true sonic description was the "technical" one dealing with the
overtones. All else is vague language with multiple interpretations.

This deserves serious treatment. Most arguments in RAHE,
like most arguments anywhere, continue for ever because people use
differently the language they appear to have in common. As a
semanticist would put it "It depenmds on what you mean by "more
complex series of more prominent overtones"
You're pleased to call this "technical". I say "Thanks be
to Lord it is not. It is vivid and interesting. He may have something
there. Let's listen carefully next time and decide if my brain hears
what his does."
You supply the "only true description" of what *you* hear as
difference in the treatment of overtones by the two pianos. An
engineer might ask you for confirmatory measurements. I might choose
different adjectives. A poet listening to a concert will write
something very, very different from both of us. And reading his poem
every reader will recreate his metaphors in his own brain to mean
something to *him* and him only. And this something is guaranteed to
be different for every reader. And it is meant to be. That is what
poetry is all about.
Say you're reporting on one pianist playing the same
Chopin's nocturne on two different pianos. Are you're sure you'll hear
the same as you heard when you were playing it yourself and still be
able to provide the same
"only true description"
Let us say we're on the subject of life and procreation.
Bacteria, plants, gorillas and humans all live and procreate. We're
not talking about what divides a bacterium from a leaf (Mr. Chung
please note) We're talking
about what is common to them- life and procreation. The subject is
discussed
heatedly by pro-lifers and "freedom of choice" adherents. It is
differently treated by every one of the philosophers writing about it:
Plato, Bergson, Nietzsche and so on. I happen to know something about
biochemical basis of biology. Does it mean that all those guys would
not be entitled to burst out laughing if I insisted that they provide
carbon molecule models with their opinions and their philosophy?
RAHE has some professional engineer contributors and
some simple audio fans. The professionals have a choice: they can
confine themselves to reading professional press only and contributing
to it- that is, assuming that they have some original research to
contribute. They can also try and convey engineering concepts to the
generality the way eg. Mr. Putzey or Mr. Chris Johnson does. They
contribute little if all they have to say is: "You don't speak my
language so all you say is worthless"
Ludovic Mirabel

Steven Sullivan

S888Wheel wrote:

Tom said

I've never met a single "subjectivist" who has worked
at Bell Labs or conducted serious research on audibility at any level.

I never met one that was an objectivist audiophile. Go figure.

You should get out more. I know several.
BRBR

Oh I get out but I guess I just don't run with the same crowd as you. My point
was however that your anecdotes about knowing a few scientists who are
objectivist audiophiles doesn't really prove anything. One of my best friends
is a molecular genetic biologist who is researching human hearing. He is a
subjectivist. Doesn't prove anything though does it?

What genes is he studying? Quite possibly knowledge of psychoacoustics
is irrelevant to his work. In any case if he's a scientist he will
certainly advocate some form of double blind trial for questionable
claims of difference.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Bruce Abrams

"ludovic mirabel" wrote in message
[...]

How about if we put a spectrum analyzer on the job and identify the specific
differences in the tonality of the 2 pianos? Then we can a meaningful
conversation wherein we differ over both substance and semantics.

*snip*
S888Wheel

Oh I get out but I guess I just don't run with the same crowd as you. My
point
was however that your anecdotes about knowing a few scientists who are
objectivist audiophiles doesn't really prove anything. One of my best friends
is a molecular genetic biologist who is researching human hearing. He is a
subjectivist. Doesn't prove anything though does it? BRBR

What genes is he studying? BRBR

I don't know. I'll ask him.

Quite possibly knowledge of psychoacoustics
is irrelevant to his work. BRBR

I'm pretty sure it does not involve psychoacoustics. I'm pretty sure it is
physiological in nature. I think it involves the expression of genes during the
development of certain parts of the inner ear. I will ask though.

In any case if he's a scientist he will
certainly advocate some form of double blind trial for questionable
claims of difference. BRBR

He advocates them for scientific research that calls for them. He doesn't seem
to think differences he hears in audio equipment are all that "questionable."
Perhaps the two of you belong to the same club. His name is Steve.

Mkuller

chung
The problem is we all have different common experiences. While you think
goosing things above 16KHz leads to brightness, I would say that
elevated upper midrange (around 2KHz) and treble leads to brightness.
The first description given by Tom is what I would accept, since the
second one is a peak, and we would need to argue the size and width of
the peak. The third description could work also I guess, but it seems
too general. In fact, even the first one (excessive shelved upper
octaves output) is ambiguous, since what do we mean by upper octaves?

Unfortunately, the descriptive audio vocabulary words being duscussed here
have "general" meanings and then "more specific" ones as used by the specific
writer in the specific review. For example, "bright" in general means 'an
emphasis in upper frequency content' but could describe a wide variety of
phenomena. Brightness could be due to an excess in the upper midrange (usually
considered 5000Hz to 10,000Hz or so), the high frequencies (over 10,000Hz) or
even a lack of lower frequencies (below 300Hz - lower midrange down) which
would appear psychoacoustically to be an upper frequncy emphasis.

To understand what the specific reviewer meant using the term 'bright', in the
case he didn't provide a more descriptive example using a specific musical
passage (which a good reviewer would), you would have to hear the component for
yourself to understand.

And bright is probably the most universally agreed descriptor. Now try
"liquid" .

'Liquid' to me means a lack of texture - smooth, flowing, consistent - usually
used in describing amplifier sound, not cables.

How does a cable manage to sound bright?

Good question for the measurers. Compare the sound of a Nordost Red Dawn cable
to a Cardas Golden Section to hear for yourself.
Regards,
Mike
Steven Sullivan

S888Wheel wrote:
[...]

There are lots of Steves in science. We even have a website
where we can affirm our support for teaching evolution in schools.

http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/art..._2_16_2003.asp

If your friend is a scientist, surely he's aware that it's not always enough
to claim a difference isn't questionable. He also has to be willing to
admit he could be wrong -- that his perception is, in fact, inherently
questionable, and that if stronger objective data refute it, then the
perception should be considered an error.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

S888Wheel

There are lots of Steves in science. We even have a website
where we can affirm our support for teaching evolution in schools.

http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/art..._2_16_2003.asp
BRBR

Yep. That is what I was referring to. I thought the concept was very funny and
made a pretty clear statement on an important issue.

If your friend is a scientist, surely he's aware that it's not always enough
to claim a difference isn't questionable. He also has to be willing to
admit he could be wrong -- that his perception is, in fact, inherently
questionable, BRBR

I hesitate to speak too much for someone else but we have discussed this. I
think it is fair to say we both agree with your statement.

and that if stronger objective data refute it, then the
perception should be considered an error.
BRBR

I did show Steve the material Tom sent me on the evidence regarding "the great
debate." He did not think any of it would survive peer review.

Nousaine

(S888Wheel) wrote:

There are lots of Steves in science. We even have a website
where we can affirm our support for teaching evolution in schools.

http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/art..._2_16_2003.asp

Yep. That is what I was referring to. I thought the concept was very funny
andmade a pretty clear statement on an important issue. If your friend is a
scientist, surely he's aware that it's not always enoughto claim a difference
isn't questionable. He also has to be willing toadmit he could be wrong --
that his perception is, in fact, inherentlyquestionable,

I hesitate to speak too much for someone else but we have discussed this.
Ithink it is fair to say we both agree with your statement. and that if
stronger objective data refute it, then theperception should be considered an
error.

I did show Steve the material Tom sent me on the evidence regarding "the
greatdebate." He did not think any of it would survive peer review.

OK and what evidence do you have that supports any review? You've in the past
allowed that "no evidence" exists "either way."

However, when no designer, maker, proponent, enthusiast or merchandiser has
ever been able to show real differences in amp/cable sound over 30 years why do
we have to "conclude" that these differences have any reasonable chance of
existing? Ot that there's NO evidence EITHER way?

I think that's just silly. If I told you that I had a new fuel additive that
would increase the power of your engine and it's driveability or improve your
mileage by X%; and that no body has ever demonstrated in a peer-reviewed
journal, that my invention DID NOT make these improvements would you accept it
on my say-so?

IMO that's what the cable/amp sound proponents are asking. They want us to
accept, allow an open-mind for, sonic effects that have never been shown to
exist in a fair bias-controlled condition.

I've offered this poster and anyone who wants to prove this conditon a chance
to make the case (costs split). But no takers.
chung

Mkuller wrote:

[...]

Most people would consider 5,000 Hz to 10,000Hz treble, not upper
midrange. Consider that 20Hz to 20KHz covers 10 octaves, and 5K to 10K
is the second from the highest. Have you checked the definition of
midrange in the TAS glossary?

the high frequencies (over 10,000Hz) or
even a lack of lower frequencies (below 300Hz - lower midrange down) which
would appear psychoacoustically to be an upper frequncy emphasis.

To understand what the specific reviewer meant using the term 'bright', in the
case he didn't provide a more descriptive example using a specific musical
passage (which a good reviewer would), you would have to hear the component for
yourself to understand.

Thanks for confirming that you have to listen to the component in order
to understand what the review meant. In other words, the words
themselves are rather useless, since they are so ambiguous. And we agree
that "bright" is one of the more universally agreed upon ones.

And bright is probably the most universally agreed descriptor. Now try
"liquid" .

'Liquid' to me means a lack of texture - smooth, flowing, consistent - usually
used in describing amplifier sound, not cables.

How does a cable manage to sound bright?

Good question for the measurers. Compare the sound of a Nordost Red Dawn cable
to a Cardas Golden Section to hear for yourself.

Actually the measurers have the answer already: it can't, unless the
cable is designed to be a tone-control.

Think you can tell those cables apart blind?

Regards,
Mike

S888Wheel

(S888Wheel) wrote:

[...]

Tom, please stop misrepresenting what I say as well as what I think. It has
happened far to many times IMO. i felt compelled to ask you this the last time
you totally misrepresented me and you ignored it so I am going to ask you this
again. How can you expect me to give you any credibility as someone who claims
to be scientific and objective when you so consistently and grossly
misrepresent my positions on issues and misrepresent other relevant facts
regarding me to support your arguments? For the record I have *never* said "no
evidence" exists "either way." The fact that you would use quotation marks
makes your misrepresentation all the more severe. I have said there appears to
be no scientifically valid empirical evidence either way and qualified what I
meant by scientific evidence meaning evidence that has been scrutinized by a
scientific peer review. You want to disagree with what I say? Fine. You want to
argue with what I say? Fine. But you misrepresent what I say on a regular basis
after extensive arguments and multiple clarifications on my part. I have a big
problem with that.

However, when no designer, maker, proponent, enthusiast or merchandiser has
ever been able to show real differences in amp/cable sound over 30 years why do
we have to "conclude" that these differences have any reasonable chance of
existing? Ot that there's NO evidence EITHER way?

You can conclude whatever you want. What makes you think there has to be any
consensus on such limited research conducted purely by apparently highly biased
researchers outside the scope of legitimate science? At this point some things
about your evidence are obvious. It all comes from the same small group of
people who advocate a certain conclusion, You are one of those in that small
group. You continue to misrepresent me to argue your positions. None of the
evidence has been through peer review. One scientist I know who looked at the
material you sent me called it junk that would never survive peer review.

I think that's just silly. If I told you that I had a new fuel additive that
would increase the power of your engine and it's driveability or improve your
mileage by X%; and that no body has ever demonstrated in a peer-reviewed
journal, that my invention DID NOT make these improvements would you accept it
on my say-so?

No. That was always my point.

IMO that's what the cable/amp sound proponents are asking. They want us to
accept, allow an open-mind for, sonic effects that have never been shown to
exist in a fair bias-controlled condition.

IMO your opinion is profoundly affected by personal bias, So much so that it
has caused you to consistently misrepresent me and my views almost every time
we argue these issues. I cannot consider someone to be a reliable objective
scientific researcher if their biases are so intense that they would
consistently misrepresent their opponents and their views in arguments over the
very subject they are researching.

I've offered this poster and anyone who wants to prove this condition a chance
to make the case (costs split). But no takers.

BRBR

Another fine example of your misrepresentations. I offered to have you come
over the next time you were in L.A. and compare my Audio Research D115 Mk II
Audio Research SP 10 combo with my old Yamaha receiver. I suggested we not make
this about money and you could keep your bounty should I prove to be able to
hear a difference. You never responded to that offer. At this point, due to
your consistent gross misrepresentations of me, I would be interested in such
tests only if they are conducted by someone with a track record of doing such
tests for scientific research. JJ is one such person who comes to mind. I would
be thrilled to have him over for such a comparison should he ever care to do
so.

chung wrote:

Most people would consider 5,000 Hz to 10,000Hz treble, not upper
midrange. Consider that 20Hz to 20KHz covers 10 octaves, and 5K to 10K
is the second from the highest. Have you checked the definition of
midrange in the TAS glossary?

Calling 5-10K 'upper midrange' is pretty misinformed. For example, 5K is
higher than the fundamental of the highest c on a modern piano or piccolo.
Any definition with the word 'midrange' should mean encompassing the range of
the basic fundamental frequencies of instruments and no more. Doing otherwise
just introduces needless confusion and misunderstandings which undermines
the idea of having a glossary in the first place.

If TAS is really saying that 5-10K is upper midrange, it's a sad example of
the musical ignorance of the magazine. Stuff like that is one of the
reasons I stopped reading it a long time ago.

I would call the frquencies from about 2K to 5K 'upper midrange.' Some may
differ on the lower limit. It can depend on what instruments the person
is thinking of and the music they associate with them.

Nousaine

(S888Wheel) wrote:

(S888Wheel) wrote:

[...]

OK what peer-reviewed evidence do you have that open evaluation is a valid
method for evaluating audibility? Please stop misrepresenting what I'm asking
for.

i felt compelled to ask you this the last
time
you totally misrepresented me and you ignored it so I am going to ask you
this
again. How can you expect me to give you any credibility as someone who
claims
to be scientific and objective when you so consistently and grossly
misrepresent my positions on issues and misrepresent other relevant facts
regarding me to support your arguments? For the record I have *never* said
"no
evidence" exists "either way." The fact that you would use quotation marks
makes your misrepresentation all the more severe.

You've said that.

I have said there appears
be no scientifically valid empirical evidence either way and qualified what I
meant by scientific evidence meaning evidence that has been scrutinized by a
scientific peer review.

This is reduction to the absurd. Of course, no one has published a
peer-reviewed paper showing the audibility of wires and amps. There's no good
reason to publish a paper that says in effect "looked for aliens but didn't
find any."

The codec people use double blind tests to confirm audibility. I wonder why
that might be?

You want to disagree with what I say? Fine. You want
argue with what I say? Fine. But you misrepresent what I say on a regular
basis
after extensive arguments and multiple clarifications on my part. I have a
big
problem with that.

OK; but I have a big problem with your position that not enough evidence exists
for interpretation. There is plenty of evidence; but, like Ludovic you'll just
reject or ignore any that doesn't support your prior held conviction.

However, when no designer, maker, proponent, enthusiast or merchandiser has
ever been able to show real differences in amp/cable sound over 30 years why
do
we have to "conclude" that these differences have any reasonable chance of
existing? Ot that there's NO evidence EITHER way?

You can conclude whatever you want. What makes you think there has to be any
consensus on such limited research conducted purely by apparently highly
biased
researchers outside the scope of legitimate science?

See ..."highly biased" researchers who use double blind tests to preclude them
from influencing the results.

At this point some
things
about your evidence are obvious. It all comes from the same small group of
people who advocate a certain conclusion,

I'd say that I represent a body of people who are interested in discovering
what affects sound quality and sound quality alone. The conclusions are based
on the evidence.

There was no way I could have precluded any subject from hearing true
difference if such WERE present.

My conclusions are based on the evidence NOT a preconceived desired result.

You are one of those in that small
group. You continue to misrepresent me to argue your positions. None of the
evidence has been through peer review. One scientist I know who looked at the
material you sent me called it junk that would never survive peer review.

OK; I've got my scientist friends who think it's perfectly acceptable. Your
turn.

And, where is you peer reviewed evdidence that non-bias controlled experiments
have any usefulness?

I think that's just silly. If I told you that I had a new fuel additive that
would increase the power of your engine and it's driveability or improve your
mileage by X%; and that no body has ever demonstrated in a peer-reviewed
journal, that my invention DID NOT make these improvements would you accept
it
on my say-so?

No. That was always my point.

OK; than I can't conclude that your reports of amplifier sound have any
credibility.

IMO that's what the cable/amp sound proponents are asking. They want us to
accept, allow an open-mind for, sonic effects that have never been shown to
exist in a fair bias-controlled condition.

IMO your opinion is profoundly affected by personal bias, So much so that it
has caused you to consistently misrepresent me and my views almost every time
we argue these issues. I cannot consider someone to be a reliable objective
scientific researcher if their biases are so intense that they would
consistently misrepresent their opponents and their views in arguments over
the
very subject they are researching.

Misrepresent someone who said there's no evidence either way; and then rejects
anything that hasn't been peer-reviewed from the counter side BUT will
entertain that open evaluations should be considered.

I've offered this poster and anyone who wants to prove this condition a
chance
to make the case (costs split). But no takers.

Another fine example of your misrepresentations. I offered to have you
comeover the next time you were in L.A. and compare my Audio Research D115 Mk
IIAudio Research SP 10 combo with my old Yamaha receiver. I suggested we not
makethis about money and you could keep your bounty should I prove to be able
tohear a difference. You never responded to that offer.

Actually you didn't respond to me after I suggested splitting costs. But I
offer you the chancw to visit me to prove your point OR I'll come there if
you'll agree to split costs. After all I have incurred significant travel cost
on my own offering people the chance to prove 'your' case before.

At this point, due
toyour consistent gross misrepresentations of me, I would be interested in
suchtests only if they are conducted by someone with a track record of doing
suchtests for scientific research. JJ is one such person who comes to mind. I
wouldbe thrilled to have him over for such a comparison should he ever care
to doso.

This sounds like yet another avoidance technique. It happens all the time. I
kind of expect it now.
S888Wheel

If TAS is really saying that 5-10K is upper midrange, it's a sad example of
the musical ignorance of the magazine. Stuff like that is one of the
reasons I stopped reading it a long time ago.

I would call the frquencies from about 2K to 5K 'upper midrange.' Some may
differ on the lower limit. It can depend on what instruments the person
is thinking of and the music they associate with them.

BRBR

I have it in front of me in their guide to highend components. upper midrange
is listed as 2.56-5.12 KHz.
S888Wheel

Steven said

There are lots of Steves in science. We even have a website
where we can affirm our support for teaching evolution in schools.

I said

Yep. That is what I was referring to. I thought the concept was very funny
and made a pretty clear statement on an important issue.

Steven said

If your friend is
scientist, surely he's aware that it's not always enoughto claim a
difference
isn't questionable.Â* He also has to be willing toadmit he could be wrong --
that his perception is, in fact, inherentlyquestionable,Â*

I said

I hesitate to speak too much for someone else but we have discussed this.
Ithink it is fair to say we both agree with your statement.

Steven said

Â* and that if
stronger objective data refute it, then theperception should be considered
an
error.Â*

I said

I did show Steve the material Tom sent me on the evidence regarding "the
great debate." He did not think any of it would survive peer review.

Tom said

OK and what evidence do you have that supports any review? You've in the past
allowed that "no evidence" exists "either way."

I said

Tom, please stop misrepresenting what I say as well as what I think. It has
happened far to many times IMO.

Tom said

OK what peer-reviewed evidence do you have that open evaluation is a valid
method for evaluating audibility?Â*Â* Please stop misrepresenting what I'm
asking
for.

Here we ago again. Right after I ask you to please stop misrepresenting me you
do it on the next post. How can I "stop misrepresenting" what you are asking
for when I didn't do so in the first place? One cannot *misrepresent* something
without *representing it at all.* I made no representation of your question. I
took issue with you making a false quotation which misrepresented my claims in
the past. I did not address your question in any way. I have no such evidence.
I would not consider open ended open ended review to be scientifically valid.
The magazines that conduct open ended reviews are not peer reviewed scientific
journal. they are meant for hobbyists. I would not consider any food review to
be scientifically valid either. I don't expect every opinion when presented as
opinion to be supported by peer reviewed scientific studies. It is a ridiculous
standard for opinions in hobbies IMO. I would expect any scientifically valid
tests of audibility to meet higher standards than any open ended review process
as I would expect it to meet higher standards than any of the tests you offered
as evidence for your beliefs.

I said

Â* i felt compelled to ask you this the last time you totally misrepresented me
and you ignored it so I am going to ask you this again. How can you expect me
to give you any credibility as someone who claims to be scientific and
objective when you so consistently and grossly misrepresent my positions on
issues and misrepresent other relevant facts regarding me to support your
arguments? For the record I have *never* said "no evidence" exists "either
way." The fact that you would use quotation marks makes your misrepresentation
all the more severe.

Tom said

You've said that.

Baloney. The fact that you would stand by your misrepresentation of my views
only gives me more reason to doubt your objectivity in these matters.

I said

Â* I have said there appears
[...]

Like I said, I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with my opinions. You
are free to interpret what evidence there is any way you wish. I think you pick
and choose your evidence and you fail to see the shortcomings of the evidence
you choose. I think the level of certainty you proclaim for your beliefs based
on the evidence you cite falls way short of an objective and scientifi
position.

Tom said

However, when no designer, maker, proponent, enthusiast or merchandiser has
ever been able to show real differences in amp/cable sound over 30 years why do
we have to "conclude" that these differences have any reasonable chance of
existing?Â* Ot that there's NO evidence EITHER way?

I said

You can conclude whatever you want. What makes you think there has to be any
consensus on such limited research conducted purely by apparently highly biased
researchers outside the scope of legitimate science?

Tom said

See ..."highly biased" researchers who use double blind tests to preclude them
from influencing the results.

I don't even understand this response. Are you asking me to look at something?

I said

At this point some things about your evidence are obvious. It all comes from
the same small group of people who advocate a certain conclusion,

Tom said

I'd say that I represent a body of people who are interested in discovering
what affects sound quality and sound quality alone. The conclusions are based
on the evidence.

I would say it's a very small "body" and I would say the tests you have cited
and the misrepresentations you have made of me and my views and my arguments
strongly suggest you and perhaps this "body" of people have let their biases
get the better of their research.

Tom said

There was no way I could have precluded any subject from hearing true
difference if such WERE present.

How would you know? None of the tests you have cited were ever teste
objectively for sensitivity.

Tom said

My conclusions are based on the evidence NOT a preconceivedÂ* desired result.

I believe you believe that. I believe you have not succeeded in proving it
scientifically.

I said

You are one of those in that small group. You continue to misrepresent me to
argue your positions. None of the evidence has been through peer review. One
scientist I know who looked at the material you sent me called it junk that
would never survive peer review.

Tom said

OK; I've got my scientist friends who think it's perfectly acceptable. Your
turn.

Not so fast. What scientist has told you that any of the tests you sent me
would survive scientific peer review?

Tom said

And, where is you peer reviewed evidence that non-bias controlled experiments?
have any usefulness?Â*

The question is absurd. "Any usefulness" is not something that science would
address. Would you say that food and movie reviews don't have "any usefulness"
because there is no peer reviewed evidence that supports the assertion that
such reviews may be useful for some people? Reviewers that conduct open
evaluations are not claiming that their opinions are supported by science. You
are claiming that.

Tom said

I think that's just silly. If I told you that I had a new fuel additive that
would increase the power of your engine and it's driveability or improve your
mileage by X%; and that no body has ever demonstrated in a peer-reviewer
journal, that my invention DID NOT make these improvements would you accept it
on my say-so?

I said

No. That was always my point.

Tom said

OK; than I can't conclude that your reports of amplifier sound have an
credibility.Â*

You can conclude that they don't have any *scientific merit* but there is a
range *credability* between opinions that have no credibility and honest
carefully formulated opinions that are not supported by scientific evidence.

Tom said

[...]

There you go again. Misrepresenting me to try to discredit my position.

Tom said

I've offered this poster and anyone who wants to prove this conditionÂ* a chance
to make the case (costs split). But no takers.Â*

I said

Another fine example of your misrepresentations. I offered to have you comeover
the next time you were in L.A. and compare my Audio Research D115 Mk IIAudio
Research SP 10 combo with my old Yamaha receiver. I suggested we no makethis
about money and you could keep your bounty should I prove to be able tohear a
difference. You never responded to that offer.

Tom said

Actually you didn't respond to me after I suggested splitting costs I
responded to your offer with the above counter offer. I saw no such response to
my counter offer as you contend you made. I may have missed it but there is no
question that I responded to your offer. Hence your misrepresentation.

Tom said

Â* But I offer you the chancw to visit me to prove your point OR I'll come there
i you'll agree to split costs.

What part of the next time you happen to be in L.A. did you not understand?
Don't you get that I am trying to avoid any cost to both of us? It would not be
practical for me to visit you the next time I am in your neck of the woods
since I do not travel with my system in my suitcase.

Tom said

After all I have incurred significant travel cost
on my own offering people the chance to prove 'your' case before.

I said

Â* At this point, du to your consistent gross misrepresentations of me, I would
be interested in such tests only if they are conducted by someone with a track
record of doing such tests for scientific research. JJ is one such person who
comes to mind. I would be thrilled to have him over for such a comparison
should he ever car to do
so.

Tom said

This sounds like yet another avoidance technique. It happens all the time. I
kind of expect it now.Â*

Your interpretation is clearly biased. Do you think JJ is incapable or
unwilling to conduct such tests? Like I said, if he happens to be in L.A. and
is willing to conduct any such tests I would be thrilled to have him over. His
history as a real scientific researcher gives him credibility. I think the
level of distrust would make any tests conducted by people I believe to have
an
agenda would make such tests pointless. I have little faith in one's ability
conduct objective tests when one fails to refrain from gross
misrepresentations
of my views to support their arguments.

Harry Lavo

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

If TAS is really saying that 5-10K is upper midrange, it's a sad example

of
the musical ignorance of the magazine. Stuff like that is one of the
reasons I stopped reading it a long time ago.

I would call the frquencies from about 2K to 5K 'upper midrange.' Some

may
differ on the lower limit. It can depend on what instruments the person
is thinking of and the music they associate with them.

BRBR

I have it in front of me in their guide to highend components. upper

midrange
is listed as 2.56-5.12 KHz.

It would be nice if this bit of TAS-bashing was put to rest with this kind
of factual information, but I doubt it will happen. Harry Pearson not only
published frequency response ranges from 30hz to 20khz tied (accurately) to
descriptive terms, he also published (several times) glossaries of
terminology used in the magazine, in order to foster broad-understanding of
those terms. He also, I know for a fact, issued preliminary versions of
this glossary very early on to his reviewers and advised them *not* to use
the terms with alternative meanings.
Nousaine

[Moderator's note: This subthread has been cancelled due to its
becoming a repetitive arguement. -- deb ]

(S888Wheel) wrote:

Steven said

...cut to content .....

I did show Steve the material Tom sent me on the evidence regarding "the
great debate." He did not think any of it would survive peer review.

Tom said

OK and what evidence do you have that supports any review? You've in the past
allowed that "no evidence" exists "either way."

I said

Tom, please stop misrepresenting what I say as well as what I think. It has
happened far to many times IMO.

Please. You once said "no evidence exists" and I gave you a list, to which you
refused to obtain. So I sent you some published articles, after which you
objected apparently because they weren't. according to you "peer reviewed."

Fair enough but you also have no peer-reviewed evidence that open-ended
non-bias controlled methods have any value in any context.

Apparently your personal standards apply ONLY to experiments where the results
don't support your pre-held opinions.

Tom said

OK what peer-reviewed evidence do you have that open evaluation is a valid
method for evaluating audibility?Â*Â* Please stop misrepresenting what I'm
asking
for.

Here we ago again. Right after I ask you to please stop misrepresenting me
you
do it on the next post. How can I "stop misrepresenting" what you are asking
for when I didn't do so in the first place? One cannot *misrepresent*
something
without *representing it at all.* I made no representation of your question.

But you're avoiding the issue. If you demand peer-review from me; why doesn't
the same criterion hold for you?

I've seen no peer-reviewed paper that suggests open non-controlled evaluation
has any use. Therefore, according to your own standards, it isn't relavant.

took issue with you making a false quotation which misrepresented my claims
in
the past. I did not address your question in any way. I have no such
evidence.
I would not consider open ended open ended review to be scientifically valid.

OK; and .....???? Why are you arguing? If amp/cable sound under open conditions
cannot be considered valid then how can you take issue with any other evidence?

The magazines that conduct open ended reviews are not peer reviewed
scientific
journal. they are meant for hobbyists.

What does that have to do with it? Sure they are BS suppliers,but they supply
no evidence that bears on the subject.

I would not consider any food review
be scientifically valid either. I don't expect every opinion when presented
as
opinion to be supported by peer reviewed scientific studies.

And. of course, any bias-controlled evidence to the contrary must be suspect as
well. Here's the basic issue: you say that my and other bias-controlled
experiments are un-scientific and should be discounted but yet you're unable to
point to any other evidence that contradicts the results when bias-controls are
implemented.

Where I come from it's not MY job to prove the amp/cable sound peoples'
argument. If they cannot produce a replicable experiment where the existence of
that 'sound' can be demonstrated under bias-controlled conditons the burden of
proof rests with them.

I can't "prove" that aliens don't visit Earth; but those who claim they do
should, at the very least, bring one in a body or one for an interview. It's
simply not the skeptics responsibility to dis-prove an exrraordinary claim.
Especially one that would be easy to demonstrate, if it were acoustically real.

It is a
ridiculous
standard for opinions in hobbies IMO. I would expect any scientifically valid
tests of audibility to meet higher standards than any open ended review
process
as I would expect it to meet higher standards than any of the tests you
offered
as evidence for your beliefs.

So, in spite of no confirming evidence, you'll accept and argue for the "gee if
someone says it's true it must be" position. Or was that the "there's no
evidence" position?

[...]

It gives me reason to believe that you have a actually have a 'view' that
doesn't change from post to post when convenient.

I said

Â* I have said there appears
be no scientifically valid empirical evidence either way and qualified what I
meant by scientific evidence meaning evidence that has been scrutinized by a
scientific peer review.

Sure and I've yet to see a peer-reviewed paper that even hints that non-bias
controlled listening tests would be considered relevant or useful.

Tom said

[...]

You are entitled to that "opinion.'" But, the use of blind comparison makes the
"objectivity" of my conclusions more convincing in my opinion.

But I find interesting that you work so hard to reject the extant evidence when
a simple experiment in your own home with an assistant, a blanket and a coin
could put the matter to test .... in your home.

By the way I encourage lurkers to consider that possibility. When confronted by
a friend about capacitor sound some 2 decades ago "Tom, you can put this to
test easily yourself" and a wrong-switch positon experience I started to test
this myself.

It's not hard. You just have to assure answers are not known prior. I'm so
surprised that so many experienced enthusiasts haven't tumbled to this.

Tom said

However, when no designer, maker, proponent, enthusiast or merchandiser has
ever been able to show real differences in amp/cable sound over 30 years why
do
we have to "conclude" that these differences have any reasonable chance of
existing?Â* Ot that there's NO evidence EITHER way?

I said

You can conclude whatever you want. What makes you think there has to be any
consensus on such limited research conducted purely by apparently highly
biased
researchers outside the scope of legitimate science?

Holy Cow: and you are suggesting that reports of amp/cable sound differences
aren't promulgated by a limited number of highly biased "researchers" outside
the scope of anything but improved sales or confirmation of pre-held bias or
past purchase decisions?

The attemot to paint skeptics as charlatans is pretty wild. If you, or any of
your peer group, could supply any evidence that amp/cable sound actually exists
then you could garner an audience.

Tom said

See ..."highly biased" researchers who use double blind tests to preclude
them
from influencing the results.

I don't even understand this response. Are you asking me to look at
something?

Sure you paint people who use double blind techniques that ensure the proctor
can't influence results as "biased" as biased is pretty funny. As IF the
proctor in an open demonstration can't directly or subconsciously bias results.

I said

At this point some things about your evidence are obvious. It all comes from
the same small group of people who advocate a certan conclusion,

Tom said

I'd say that I represent a body of people who are interested in discovering
what affects sound quality and sound quality alone. The conclusions are based
on the evidence.

I would say it's a very small "body" and I would say the tests you have
cited
and the misrepresentations you have made of me and my views and my arguments
strongly suggest you and perhaps this "body" of people have let their biases
get the better of their research.

I use blind techniques to ensure that "my" bias, whatever that may be, cannot
influence the results. That's what this bias-control thing is all about.

And let's talk about experimentor bias. When I started out I was a "anything
goes" guy. I was chasing capacitor/wire sound in the beginning.

When I had a "wrong switch positon" but "right results" it made me begin
investigation of these 'obvious' audible differences with a little more
bias-control.

Tom said

There was no way I could have precluded any subject from hearing true
difference if such WERE present.

How would you know? None of the tests you have cited were ever teste
objectively for sensitivity.

Hey I've put this to the test in the reference system where the 'effects' were
initially reported.

Oh yeah; the insistance that in-audible effects need to be objectively tested.
No system/ experiment be tested for sensitivity to inaudible effects.

Tom said

My conclusions are based on the evidence NOT a preconceivedÂ* desired
result.

I believe you believe that. I believe you have not succeeded in proving it
scientifically.

OK, but you've not 'proved' the contrary either. IF these audible effects were
present the biac-controls would effectively prevent ME from stopping subjects
from hearing them.

I said

You are one of those in that small group. You continue to misrepresent me to
argue your positions. None of the evidence has been through peer review. One
scientist I know who looked at the material you sent me called it junk that
would never survive peer review.

Tom said

OK; I've got my scientist friends who think it's perfectly acceptable. Your
turn.

Not so fast. What scientist has told you that any of the tests you sent me
would survive scientific peer review?

What scientist told you otherwise?

Tom said

And, where is you peer reviewed evidence that non-bias controlled
experiments?
have any usefulness?Â*

The question is absurd. "Any usefulness" is not something that science would
address. Would you say that food and movie reviews don't have "any
usefulness"
because there is no peer reviewed evidence that supports the assertion that
such reviews may be useful for some people? Reviewers that conduct open
evaluations are not claiming that their opinions are supported by science.
You
are claiming that.

Reviewers that conduct open evaluations do not include a disclaimer or footnote
that says this. Why would you hold me to a higher standard?

Tom said

I think that's just silly. If I told you that I had a new fuel additive that
would increase the power of your engine and it's driveability or improve your
mileage by X%; and that no body has ever demonstrated in a peer-reviewer
journal, that my invention DID NOT make these improvements would you accept
it
on my say-so?

I said

No. That was always my point.

Tom said

OK; than I can't conclude that your reports of amplifier sound have an
credibility.Â*

You can conclude that they don't have any *scientific merit* but there is a
range *credability* between opinions that have no credibility and honest
carefully formulated opinions that are not supported by scientific evidence.

OK and what does that tell you? That bias-controlled experiments have 'less'
credibility than "carefully formulated opinions that are not supported by
scientific evidence."

Tom said

IMO that's what the cable/amp sound proponents are asking. They want us to
accept, allow an open-mind for, sonic effects that have never been shown to
exist in a fair bias-controlled condition.

I said

IMO your opinion is profoundly affected by personal bias, So much so that it
has caused you to consistently misrepresent me and my views almost every time
we argue these issues. I cannot consider someone to be a reliable objective
scientific researcher if their biases are so intense that they would
consistently misrepresent their opponents and their views in arguments over
the
very subject they are researching.

I'm suggesting that your opinions are so strongly held that you would reject
any contrary evidence no matter how carefully gathered.

Tom said

Misrepresent someone who said there's no evidence either way; and then
rejects
anything that hasn't been peer-reviewed from the counter side BUT will
entertain that open evaluations should be considered.

There you go again. Misrepresenting me to try to discredit my position.

So exactly "what is" your position? You've never said "there's no evidence
either way" ????? That you reject evidence that isn't "peer-reviewed" but will
continue to hold your 'beliefs' in spite of no peer-reviewed evidence that
supports your pre-held convictions.

[...]

What part of "happen to be in LA" isn't simply an avoidance technique?

Don't you get that I am trying to avoid any cost to both of us? It would not
be
practical for me to visit you the next time I am in your neck of the woods
since I do not travel with my system in my suitcase.

Understood. But what am I supposed to do? Fly to LA on my own ticket and find
that I have to corral you, like I did with Zipser; or show up and find that you
will refuse to conduct an experiment that you'd previously agreed to
(Transparent Audio, 1996)

I'm skeptical; and you're showing the avoidance techniques I've seen before.
Ones that go beyond the two I've mentioned here.

Tom said

After all I have incurred significant travel cost
on my own offering people the chance to prove 'your' case before.

I said

Â* At this point, du to your consistent gross misrepresentations of me, I
would
be interested in such tests only if they are conducted by someone with a
track
record of doing such tests for scientific research. JJ is one such person who
comes to mind. I would be thrilled to have him over for such a comparison
should he ever car to do
so.

Tom said

This sounds like yet another avoidance technique. It happens all the time. I
kind of expect it now.Â*

Your interpretation is clearly biased. Do you think JJ is incapable or
unwilling to conduct such tests?

Don't know. But I am suggesting that you are unwilling to have me put you to
the test. Understandable; but why would anybody as proctor be an issue? The
bias-controls are designed to prevent the proctor from influencing the results.

Like I said, if he happens to be in L.A.
and
is willing to conduct any such tests I would be thrilled to have him over.

Ask him then.

His
history as a real scientific researcher gives him credibility. I think the
level of distrust would make any tests conducted by people I believe to have
an
agenda would make such tests pointless. I have little faith in one's ability
conduct objective tests when one fails to refrain from gross
misrepresentations
of my views to support their arguments.

Nah; you're just unwilling to put your "beliefs" to the acoustical test. That's
not unusual. I'm still wondering why someone of the amp/cable difference
contingent still hasn't been able to show they can 'hear' these 'differences'
with nothing more than a 'figurative' blindfold being in the same room.

I'm guessing it's because those differences lay below the threshold of
audibility and reside only in the mind of the suggestible listener.

S888Wheel wrote:

If TAS is really saying that 5-10K is upper midrange, it's a sad example of
the musical ignorance of the magazine. Stuff like that is one of the
reasons I stopped reading it a long time ago.

I would call the frquencies from about 2K to 5K 'upper midrange.' Some may
differ on the lower limit. It can depend on what instruments the person
is thinking of and the music they associate with them.

BRBR

I have it in front of me in their guide to highend components. upper midrange
is listed as 2.56-5.12 KHz.

Those are odd numbers, (pun intended) but thank you, they are at least in the ballpark of
reasonableness.

S888Wheel

S888Wheel wrote:

If TAS is really saying that 5-10K is upper midrange, it's a sad example of
the musical ignorance of the magazine. Stuff like that is one of the
reasons I stopped reading it a long time ago.

I would call the frquencies from about 2K to 5K 'upper midrange.' Some may
differ on the lower limit. It can depend on what instruments the person
is thinking of and the music they associate with them.

I have it in front of me in their guide to highend components. upper midrange
is listed as 2.56-5.12 KHz.

Those are odd numbers, (pun intended) but thank you, they are at least in the
ballpark of
reasonableness.

Odd? I thought they were fairly obvious. Start at the lowest audible frequency
and go up by octaves.

20-40
40-80
80-160
160-320
320-640
640-1280
1280-2560
2560-5120

BRBR

S888Wheel wrote:

Odd? I thought they were fairly obvious. Start at the lowest audible frequency
and go up by octaves.

20-40
40-80
80-160
160-320
320-640
640-1280
1280-2560
2560-5120

Okay, I'm just used to rounding them off for audio purposes. (i.e. typical
test tones, etc) And being an instrument builder/musician, I tend to think of
music pitch standards as references for the multiples. I'm not a number
theorist.

By nature, these definitions are not exact, hence the difficulty of compiling
a glossary. Avoiding vague terms would therefore seem like a goal. If
exact definitions are used for adjectives, they are not like adjectives anymore
and lose their conceptually global character. That doesn't seem helpful either.

Just my opinion.

Harry Lavo wrote:

It would be nice if this bit of TAS-bashing was put to rest with this kind
of factual information, but I doubt it will happen. Harry Pearson not only
published frequency response ranges from 30hz to 20khz tied (accurately) to
descriptive terms, he also published (several times) glossaries of
terminology used in the magazine, in order to foster broad-understanding of
those terms. He also, I know for a fact, issued preliminary versions of
this glossary very early on to his reviewers and advised them *not* to use
the terms with alternative meanings.

If he really knew what he was doing, he would correlate the results of listening
tests with measurments. That he choses to play pope is transparent.
S888Wheel

[...]

If we are going to divide the audio spectrum and give each division a title
there will always be something forced about doing so. I didn't mean to imply
that dividing by octaves was a superior means of determining such divisions I
was simply pointing out that it was one obvious choice amoung obvious choices.
IOW it didn't seem odd to me.

Mkuller

wrote:
If he really knew what he was doing, he would correlate the results of
listening
tests with measurments. That he choses to play pope is transparent.

Correlating observational listening results with measurements is certainly a
noble goal - John Atkinson has been trying for years in Stereophile - but that
you chose to see Harry Pearson as a cult religious figure says more about your
perspective and biases than anything else.
Regards,
Mike

Mkuller

wrote:
By nature, these definitions are not exact, hence the difficulty of compiling
a glossary. Avoiding vague terms would therefore seem like a goal. If
exact definitions are used for adjectives, they are not like adjectives
anymore
and lose their conceptually global character. That doesn't seem helpful
either.

First, sorry for my miscalculation in calling the upper midrange 5-10kHz. Had
I had "How to Read The Absolute Sound" handy, I could have represented what TAS
refers to as the 'upper midrange' specifically instead of my poor estimation.

Now to your comment above - In any hobby or specialized area, getting a handle
on the 'lingo' is what separates the experts from the wannabes - at least
superficially. Take the prose used descriptively in wine tasting, for example.
Or in surfing, or model construction, or automotive racing, etc. As far as
adjectives having 'specific' meanings, please define hot, wet, big or a few for
me. Their meanings are not specific, but all depend on the context - just like
the adjectives used in audio component reviews.
Regards,
Mike

Mkuller wrote:

Now to your comment above - In any hobby or specialized area, getting a handle
on the 'lingo' is what separates the experts from the wannabes - at least
superficially.

If I was interested in superficial meanings I wouldn't posting here about
them at all.

Oh well.
Bruce Abrams

"Mkuller" wrote in message
newsBfzb.402037$HS4.3250560@attbi_s01...
*snip*
[...]

In wine tasting, the adjectives used only seem vague to the non-expert.
Those wishing to become expert can purchase a wine tasting training kit that
contains a large number of aroma and flavor extracts that can teach you what
is specifically meant by a "long vanilla finish". It seems to me that
Stereophile could produce at any time, a CD containing variously processed
musical segments that very specifically and unambiguously illustrate the
"standard audiophile lingo". Have a section of music recorded unprocessed,
then process it to sound "hard", "strident" etc. I suspect that the only
reason that this hasn't been done is that no one truly agrees on what makes
something sound "strident". Reviewers will simply claim that they know it
when they hear it. Thus we come full circle to the fact that the terms, by
virtue of have no aggreed upon definitions, are inherently (and, IMO,
intentionally) vague.

chung

Mkuller wrote:

First, sorry for my miscalculation in calling the upper midrange 5-10kHz. Had
I had "How to Read The Absolute Sound" handy, I could have represented what TAS
refers to as the 'upper midrange' specifically instead of my poor estimation.

Mike

If Mike, a long time avid reader and stout suppoprter of TAS and
Stereohpihle, needs the handy "How to Read the Absolute Sound" to decode
the lingo, amateur hobbyists don't stand a chance of relating to those
words used in reviews.

So Mike, how well do you think you know what the reviewers are saying?
Do you always had that guide next to you when you read a review?

Mkuller

Bruce Abrams wrote:
[...]

I suspect the only people who have difficulty with the descriptive words we are
talking about - are engineers who are trying unsuccessfully to correlate the
adjectives to specific measurements. Regular readers of the reviews in these
publications most likely have a good idea of their meaning. So if you and
enough of your colleagues write in and request a CD (or whatever) from
Stereophile, I'm sure they would comply to satisfy the demand.
Regards,
Mike
Bruce Abrams

Bruce Abrams wrote:
[...]

We've already had differences of opinion among the regular readership on
RAHE as to what the definition of "bloom" and "bright" were. What makes you
think only "engineers who are trying unsuccessfully to correlate the
adjectives to specific measurements" are having difficulty. If you can't
effectively describe it so that everyone understands it, and you can't
produce the effect for demonstration purposes, who's kidding whom? Take a
look again at Chung's original list and find 5 people who will agree on the
definition of any of those terms. I doubt you can.