Joel

Default Are old Turntables better buys than new?

Considering the lack of options for new budget turntables would it be
worth having a look at second hand turntables? The Project II looks
like the best value new deck; what would be the best alternatives
second hand.

I guess I'll have to budget for a new drive belt and maybe a new
cartridge or at least a new stylus. Anything else?

There looks like there are some well looked after Thorns, Dual,
Pioneer decks available. Has anyone any experience of buying these or
others second hand, if so are you happy or dissapointed?

TIA
S888Wheel

There are some good deals to be had on many older highend tables from the likes
of SOTA, VPI and Oracle. Keep an eye out for these on the used market.
chris

"Joel" wrote in message
m...
Considering the lack of options for new budget turntables would it be
worth having a look at second hand turntables? The Project II looks
like the best value new deck; what would be the best alternatives
second hand.

I guess I'll have to budget for a new drive belt and maybe a new
cartridge or at least a new stylus. Anything else?

There looks like there are some well looked after Thorns, Dual,
Pioneer decks available. Has anyone any experience of buying these or
others second hand, if so are you happy or dissapointed?

TIA

There must be lots of older deck that would knock the Projects into a cocked
hat.
Although I cant prove it but the good Rega, pink triangles, Linn's, Dunlop
system deck, with a rega or linn arm, the old Mitchell's or even the old
1960's Transcriptor reference should out class the Debut's but no mag is
going to go against "The Emperor New Clothes" scenario.
I missed off the Micro Seki, a very nice sprung turntable from the late
70's, if you can find one.
just go give them a listen.