Robin

Default Need advice about replacing new car's stereo/speaker

Just purchased new 2004 car that comes with Infinity stereo speakers.
Don't know if its true but I'm told if I were to pop the speaker off,
I'd find it's a JBL as is the stereo. It's this car make's top of the
line stereo they offer, yet it's horrible. It has one of those equalizer
where you choose Rock, Classic, Jazz and the only setting that get's any
kind of passable sound is to use Rock for all music genres. If you don't
use the equalizer setting, forget it - it fades into the background.
There's not much separation of sound, it's flat,a lesser quality of
sound than the standard stereo which came with my 2001Honda Accord EXLV6
which this new car replaced. It's probably obvious that I'm not an
audiophile, but I know what I like to hear, and this stereo is just flat
and lifeless.

I've asked some opinions of other people, some suggest buying a new head
unit before investing in speakers; while one other person said this:
......replaced car speakers with two Alpine 3-way 6x9 speakers. The
change exceeded my expectations -the bass and clarity was astounding!

I listen mostly to FM radio, but sometimes CD's; FM classical, AM radio
standards (Frank Sinatra, et al), FM top pop, R&B. I would appreciate
your opinions on speakers vs new head unit, and what brands/models to
purchase. I'm clueless and would rather not rely on opinion of a
salesman. I'm in southern Calif, specifically southern Orange County,
would have someone else do installation, so recommendations for place to
buy would also be appreciated.

--
Do not email if posting response. To email, replace x with 4