Paul Stamler

Default Would you build this DIY project?

Hi folks:

Let me launch a trial balloon here. Is this a DIY project that appeals to
you?

It's a microphone preamp, solid state, transformer in (Jensen),
transformerless balanced +4dBu out with a separate -10dBV unbalanced out. IC
based, up to 8 channels in a 2U case, plus separate power pack. Phantom on
all channels, 100Hz rolloff selectable on all channels, otherwise no EQ.
Designed to be comparable to the Sytek in price, performance and feature
set, but with transformer-coupled inputs. All parts obtainable (to North
Americans, at any rate) from Digi-Key and Allied Electronics, except for the
transformers, which come directly from Jensen. On-card regulation. Like the
Sytek, there are some optional choices in what ICs you use.

Approximate costs are as follows. These include everything except the cases,
which are up to you. At the moment I'm assuming the PC boards would cost
$25.00 / ea.; that's the biggest unknown in the equation. I can't really
fill that in until I design the boards, and I'm not gonna do that until I
find out whether anybody's interested. (Also, of course, price of the boards
will vary depending on how many I order.) There are options which will raise
the price, and some that will lower it, but this is the basic design.

Each input channel: $220.00

Power Supply: $120.00

So a 4-channel unit would cost almost exactly $1k, not counting boxes. An
8-channel would be $1880, ditto. I'd make my slice selling the PC boards and
writing it up for the magazines.

Any interest?

Peace,
Paul