Default Sony ES reciever Protector on power up

My 5 year old Sony DA30 ES reciever has taken to having the overload
protector kick in when I turn it on. If I keep cycling it (which I
know is bad for it) I can eventually get it to kick in and then it's
fine. Any one have any ideas on a fix or what's causing it? I am
going to take it out of the cabinet today to blow it out since it looks
to be very dusty. Don't know if that could have anything to do with
it.

I know how to work a multimeter and some basic electronics knowlege
from my intro EE clases

Is a DA30ES een worth fixing if it's not simple?
Thanks for your help
Steve

john

Check for dry joints on the outputs and on the boards.
If you dont want to fix it I will take it off your hands.
lol

kip

Marko

The Protector indication can be caused by several different
malfunctions. Basically, the receiver monitors various voltages in
your receiver and if any get out of wack, it shuts down displaying
Protector.

I had this problem with my Sony receiver. I researched the net and
found several people that had various solutions. Without a clear
direction to go, I got the service manual and dove in. In my case the
problem was the main power amp chip, which I was able to purchase for
about $20 direct from Sony. That was 6 months ago and the problem has
never returned.

Of course I had the service manual, a signal source and a scope to
troubleshoot my receiver. It sounds like you don't have these things,
so what can you do? If your soldering/desoldering skills are good,
I'd suggest you find your main power amp ICs. Remove one of them and
see if the remaining channel is functional. If not, put it back and
try removing the other one. If luck is with you, one of these chips
will be the problem and you can simply order a new one. I think you
can use the part number off the IC, but you might need the actual Sony
part number. You can call 800-488-7669 to find out for sure.
Alternately, you can check http://servicesales.sel.sony.com

One other thing... In my case, the main power amp IC was an
encapsulated module with about 10 pins sticking out one side. I think
it was about 1.5" x 0.5" x 0.25". I think it was labeled STK-350-230
which is a Sony p/n 8-749-011-16. My receiver was a STR-DE825 which is
a little different from your STR-DS30ES.

Hope this helps.

Marko

On 19 Dec 2004 08:42:51 -0800, wrote:

My 5 year old Sony DA30 ES reciever has taken to having the overload
protector kick in when I turn it on. If I keep cycling it (which I
know is bad for it) I can eventually get it to kick in and then it's
fine. Any one have any ideas on a fix or what's causing it? I am
going to take it out of the cabinet today to blow it out since it looks
to be very dusty. Don't know if that could have anything to do with
it.

I know how to work a multimeter and some basic electronics knowlege
from my intro EE clases

Is a DA30ES een worth fixing if it's not simple?
Thanks for your help
Steve

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...
| My 5 year old Sony DA30 ES reciever has taken to having the overload
| protector kick in when I turn it on. If I keep cycling it (which I
| know is bad for it) I can eventually get it to kick in and then it's
| fine. Any one have any ideas on a fix or what's causing it? I am
| going to take it out of the cabinet today to blow it out since it looks
| to be very dusty. Don't know if that could have anything to do with
| it.
|
| I know how to work a multimeter and some basic electronics knowlege
| from my intro EE clases
|
| Is a DA30ES een worth fixing if it's not simple?

I'd tend to assume a main filter capacitor is reluctant to form. The
cheapest 'fix' is to never turn it off.

Tim Schwartz

Steve,

While I DON'T know your model specifically, and several of the other
suggestions could well be correct (though I would not suggest leaving it
on all the time), I've seen some Sony models that use the PC board
mounting screws a grounds as well. If these loosen, the unit will go
into protection. I'd suggest that you (with the amp unplugged) tighten
all of the PC board mounting screws, especially the main amp board and
power supply board. The screws are most likely to be #2 philips in
size, and often have a metal tab under them.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

wrote:

My 5 year old Sony DA30 ES reciever has taken to having the overload
protector kick in when I turn it on. If I keep cycling it (which I
know is bad for it) I can eventually get it to kick in and then it's
fine. Any one have any ideas on a fix or what's causing it? I am
going to take it out of the cabinet today to blow it out since it looks
to be very dusty. Don't know if that could have anything to do with
it.

I know how to work a multimeter and some basic electronics knowlege
from my intro EE clases

Is a DA30ES een worth fixing if it's not simple?
Thanks for your help
Steve

Thanks for the responses. I have an update. Today i came home and it
powered up fine. Then I shut it down to go in the other room, when I
came back it did nothing. Well it clicked on but the power was way
down and the only thing that lit up was the volume knob and that was
low on light. It never even tried to click on the amps or whatever
that second click is. This leads me to guess that there's something
wrong with the inital power circuitry. Maybe the capacitors like
suggested? There's two large 18,000 microferrad capictors but I don't
know how to check that there ok. The board they come on also has two
large transistors leading into the capacitors and a coil that appears
to be hooked direct to the line input. This all leads to the into main
audio transformer through a DEC type DH2U switch (24vdc; 5A/250VAC).
there's other stuff like the impedance selector switch, a 10A fuse to
each cap.

The Fuse leading to the switch power output is burnt but I think that's
been that way for a while.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks again,
Steve

Well I researched how to test large caps and they seem to be fine. I'm
out of clues now. Maybe i'll just bring it in to a shop. The problem
is the only shop in Albany is the same shop that's had my HDTV for 8
weeks (not all their fault but still...)

john

With all the suggestions that you have been given
the Amp should be fixed by now..
Why dont you at least try some of our suggestions.

kip

john wrote:
With all the suggestions that you have been given
the Amp should be fixed by now..
Why dont you at least try some of our suggestions.

kip

That's great. I'm glad you were able to help with this comment. You
think I'm not looking at all these?!?
Thanks again for great help John

Oceans 2K

this is all Sony recvr's achilles heal IMHO. It's uncanny how many friends
and family have approached me (village idiot-EE) about their "2 or 3 yr old"
Sony recvr" having power or 'protector-light' issues. It starts w/heat xfer
issues and Sony uses this for planned obsolecence IMO.
The fixes above are great starts.....see Marko's post...that is where I
would start.

wrote in message
oups.com...
My 5 year old Sony DA30 ES reciever has taken to having the overload
protector kick in when I turn it on. If I keep cycling it (which I
know is bad for it) I can eventually get it to kick in and then it's
fine. Any one have any ideas on a fix or what's causing it? I am
going to take it out of the cabinet today to blow it out since it looks
to be very dusty. Don't know if that could have anything to do with
it.

I know how to work a multimeter and some basic electronics knowlege
from my intro EE clases

Is a DA30ES een worth fixing if it's not simple?
Thanks for your help
Steve

Oceans 2K

for deep frying (1 gallon)
Salt
pepper
soy & teriyaki
minced ginger, etc.
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water
1 egg beaten

Make the stuffing:
Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces
then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove.
Stir-fry the vegetables.
Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning.
De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol.
Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes.
Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick,
then place the stuffing into a colander and cool;
2 hours
Wrap the rolls:
Place 3 tablespoons of stuffing in the wrap, roll tightly -
corner nearest you first, fold 2 side corners in,
wrap till remaining corner is left.
Brush with egg, seal, and allow to sit on the seal for
a few minutes.
Fry the rolls:
325° if using egg roll wraps, 350° for spring roll wraps.
Deep fry in peanut oil till crispy golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Lemon Neonate

Turkey serves just as well, and in fact even looks a bit like a
well-dressed baby. By the time you turn the child?s breast into
cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human,
although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly
different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its
10 to 14 months of life...

4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 healthy neonates)
2 large lemons (fresh lemons always, if possible)
Olive oil
Green onions
Salt
pepper
cornstarch
neonate stock (chicken, or turkey stock is fine)
garlic
parsley
fresh cracked black pepper

Season and sauté the cutlets in olive oil till golden brown, remove.
Add the garlic and onions and cook down a