ILYA BOGORAD

Default Why is surround sound not working - Kenwood 407

Ladies and gents,

I am having a newbie problem... here it goes...

I connected my Samsung 511 DVD player to the newly acquired Kenwood
407 receiver via the s-video and optical digital cables (via VIDEO-3),
popped in a Snatch disk and got all in the mood to enjoy the sound.

Hmm... no surround ! The front speakers and the woofer worked fine but
not the rear or central speakers !

I made sure that:
- I selected Dolby Digital in the disk menu;
- The DVD itself outputs Bitstream and the DTS option is on.
- The rear and central speakers are correctly configured and enabled.
Running a setup test from the receiver produces sound from every
speaker correctly.
- The surround sound option is enabled on the receiver.

Observations:
- During the playback, the receiver has "Dolby Digital" and "Down Mix"
lights on, which shows that at least it understands what comes from
the DVD.
- On the front panel of the receiver , word "stereo" is displayed in
small letters... That miffs me a bit as the manual does not say
whether it is normal or not. This happens even when you select the
listening mode as Dolby Digital.
- I have a Pearl Harbor disk which contains a THX test. When I run
this test, it tries all of the channels in sequence. Front speakers
and the woofer work fine but when it tests the rear or the central,
the sound is coming from the front speakers.

SO... I am running out of ideas... Any help would be greatly
appreciated

Thank you kindly

Ilya
Barry Mann

In , on 09/26/03
at 06:01 AM, (ILYA BOGORAD) said:

Ladies and gents,

I am having a newbie problem... here it goes...

I connected my Samsung 511 DVD player to the newly acquired Kenwood
407 receiver via the s-video and optical digital cables (via VIDEO-3),
popped in a Snatch disk and got all in the mood to enjoy the sound.

[ ... ]

Observations:
- During the playback, the receiver has "Dolby Digital" and "Down Mix"
lights on, which shows that at least it understands what comes from
the DVD.

I'm not familiar with your particular units, but there are some
standard problems that might be falling on you.

The disc may have multiple sound tracks and the default is stereo.
I've come across a number of discs that force the viewer to select the
Dolby Digital track each time the disc is played.

The DVD player set-up may force all digital output into two channel
mode. Set-up menus can be a very confusing issue because of language
problems. The design team probably does not speak your native language
and the translation into a common language may be defective. These
problems are compounded by any of your own deficiencies in the common
language.

- On the front panel of the receiver , word "stereo" is displayed in
small letters... That miffs me a bit as the manual does not say
whether it is normal or not. This happens even when you select the
listening mode as Dolby Digital.

Sometimes an "Effects", "Effects ON", or "Effects OFF" button will
override the selection of Dolby Digital.

Do you have an analog two channel connection between the DVD player and
the receiver? If so, the a\nalog connection might be overriding the
digital connection. If this is true, switching to "Pro Logic" might
give you some surround.

- I have a Pearl Harbor disk which contains a THX test. When I run
this test, it tries all of the channels in sequence. Front speakers
and the woofer work fine but when it tests the rear or the central,
the sound is coming from the front speakers.

Obviously, surround processing is turned off somewhere. Go through all
of the DVD and receiver set-up menus again. Some of the Kenwood inputs
may have an "Auto" option. Try using "Auto". Sometimes the units will
behave badly if you incorrectly tell it that a track is Dolby Digital
or DTS. "Auto" tends to sort things out for you.

SPAM:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

ILYA BOGORAD

Barry,

Thank you. Please see my remarks below...

I.

(Barry Mann) wrote in message . com...
In , on 09/26/03
at 06:01 AM,
(ILYA BOGORAD) said:

Ladies and gents,

I am having a newbie problem... here it goes...

I connected my Samsung 511 DVD player to the newly acquired Kenwood
407 receiver via the s-video and optical digital cables (via VIDEO-3),
popped in a Snatch disk and got all in the mood to enjoy the sound.

[ ... ]

Observations:
- During the playback, the receiver has "Dolby Digital" and "Down Mix"
lights on, which shows that at least it understands what comes from
the DVD.

I'm not familiar with your particular units, but there are some
standard problems that might be falling on you.

The disc may have multiple sound tracks and the default is stereo.
I've come across a number of discs that force the viewer to select the
Dolby Digital track each time the disc is played.

Well... I tried at least three disks...

The DVD player set-up may force all digital output into two channel
mode. Set-up menus can be a very confusing issue because of language
problems. The design team probably does not speak your native language
and the translation into a common language may be defective. These
problems are compounded by any of your own deficiencies in the common
language.

Our Canadian English is not much different from its US brother...

- On the front panel of the receiver , word "stereo" is displayed in
small letters... That miffs me a bit as the manual does not say
whether it is normal or not. This happens even when you select the
listening mode as Dolby Digital.

Sometimes an "Effects", "Effects ON", or "Effects OFF" button will
override the selection of Dolby Digital.

I'll look for that... don't think my unit has it.

Do you have an analog two channel connection between the DVD player and
the receiver? If so, the a\nalog connection might be overriding the
digital connection. If this is true, switching to "Pro Logic" might
give you some surround.

Nope, no analog connection.

- I have a Pearl Harbor disk which contains a THX test. When I run
this test, it tries all of the channels in sequence. Front speakers
and the woofer work fine but when it tests the rear or the central,
the sound is coming from the front speakers.

Obviously, surround processing is turned off somewhere. Go through all
of the DVD and receiver set-up menus again. Some of the Kenwood inputs
may have an "Auto" option. Try using "Auto". Sometimes the units will

I am using Auto.

behave badly if you incorrectly tell it that a track is Dolby Digital
or DTS. "Auto" tends to sort things out for you.

SPAM:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

Use the speaker buttons to enable the rear speakers.