Don

Default Soundstream Tarantula TR800

I have been out of the car audio game for a few years. Am considering
an install in my car. I own an old Fosgate Power 650 and a pair of
Fosgate Punch 200's that were removed from my old Mustang in 1997. I
currently drive a 1996 VW Cabrio. I have a general idea what I want in
a system, but haven't really kept up to date with newer equipment. I
am considering purchase of a strong 5 channel amp to run an entire
system. My concern is with the electrical system in my ride. Anyway, I
want to run 6 1/2 components , probably MB Quart,in each door.
Possibly something in the left and right dash openings, I think there
are 3 1/2 in there right now. 5 1/4 in the rear. Subs? I thought maybe
3 or 4 eight inch in the trunk. Not a monster system but something
that I will enjoy listening to without too much worrying abouy my
electrical system. I also would probably add a battery in the trunk as
well. I have seen the Soundstream Tarantula TR800 and like the look.
The rated power seems sufficient. I am just wondering if anyone has
used one as their sole amp? Does it have enough power and most
importantly, does it sound good? Would there be a concern with smoking
the amp? Don't want it to catch on fire like an old Punch 30!
My other idea was just to use my Power 650 to run the front and the
subs. I know it would have more than enough power. I just kind of
liked the looks of the Tarantula.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

don
Hamilton Audio

I've not seen the Tarantula you speak of, but I have had experience in the
past with Soundstream product. at that time (square blue design, shallow
heatsink ribs) the amps sounded decent but the reliability sucked. the
dealer here in town even dropped the line after having too much bad luck
with it.

perhaps its gotten better?

Hamilton Audio
Car Audio, Security & Performance

"Don" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Paul Vina

I think it had more to do with the company being sold. That's why we
dropped the line. Everything after the References were bulletproof. The
Rubicons, Tarantula, DaVinci, Lil Wonder and everything since has been
great.

Paul Vina

"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message
. ..
I've not seen the Tarantula you speak of, but I have had experience in the
past with Soundstream product. at that time (square blue design, shallow
heatsink ribs) the amps sounded decent but the reliability sucked. the
dealer here in town even dropped the line after having too much bad luck
with it.

perhaps its gotten better?

Hamilton Audio
Car Audio, Security & Performance

"Don" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hamilton Audio

thats great to here. you've just reminded me, it was the Reference line I'd
played with. seemed like good quality stuff, the build was nice, etc...but
it just broke all the time

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
I think it had more to do with the company being sold. That's why we
dropped the line. Everything after the References were bulletproof. The
Rubicons, Tarantula, DaVinci, Lil Wonder and everything since has been
great.

Paul Vina

"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message
. ..
I've not seen the Tarantula you speak of, but I have had experience in

the
past with Soundstream product. at that time (square blue design,

shallow
heatsink ribs) the amps sounded decent but the reliability sucked. the
dealer here in town even dropped the line after having too much bad luck
with it.

perhaps its gotten better?

Hamilton Audio
Car Audio, Security & Performance

"Don" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Don

Thanks for the replies. The amps certainly look nice. The prices seem
good. Of course the salesman I spoke with had good things to say
about them. Still haven't decided what to go with and am in no rush.
Just wanted some unbiased opinions.

don

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
I think it had more to do with the company being sold. That's why we
dropped the line. Everything after the References were bulletproof. The
Rubicons, Tarantula, DaVinci, Lil Wonder and everything since has been
great.

Paul Vina

Daniel Snooks

Don wrote
Thanks for the replies. The amps certainly look nice. The prices seem
good. Of course the salesman I spoke with had good things to say
about them. Still haven't decided what to go with and am in no rush.
Just wanted some unbiased opinions.

Heh, if it was unbiased ... it wouldn't be an opinion
In an ideal world, you would be able to install everything and then demo
different amps in your vehicle, pick your favorite and buy it. I wonder if
there are shops that would allow this type of decision-making process?
My opinion says the Soundstream is a good choice. I have heard a number of
systems running on Soundstream amps, and liked them all.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks