Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
muzician21 muzician21 is offline

Default Want to take a CD track, isolate the solo vocal then combine them toraise the level of the vocal but not create harshness

Just for fun, I want to add some instrumental and harmony vocal parts
to a CD track that's sparsely arranged and I think would benefit from
it.

Of course the original CD track was mixed for the arrangement that's
on the track, so to boost the solo vocal to compensate for the added
elements, I'm using a vocal isolator plugin to create a second track
with the vocal emphasized.

This actually works pretty well but the problem I encounter is that
the resulting boosted lead vocal takes on a bit of a "honking"
character, which I assume is because of the combination of the
frequencies of the original and isolated vocals.

What I'd like to do is get rid of this effect and make the vocal
louder but retain as much of the character of the vocal on the
original track as possible - i.e. louder but not harsh.

What I've come up with so far is using a paragraphic EQ with the gain
backed off quite a bit and a boosted section to sweep and find the
frequency that yields the highest db peak, which I assume is going to
be the most prominent "honking" frequency, then cut that frequency in
both the isolated vocal and the original CD track. As to how much to
cut and how wide a cut to make, I guess that would be matter of
experimentation.

Does this sound like a plan or is there a better way to do it?