gary

Default near-field and far-field

I have several questions regarding speaker choice and placement. I
will soon want to choose a pair of speakers around which to build a
2-way system.

1.I have recently learned that one fundamental choice is their
proximity (to me and themselves I suppose,) and this determines
whether I am interested in speakers designed for near-field or
far-field listening. So is there a standard measurement for this
criteria? Is, say 6' and under near-field and further is far-field or
is there a more subjective categorization based on more variables? (I
know proximity to walls and shape of the room is also important.)

2.Does whether a speaker being high-efficiency or power hungry come
into the near-field/far-field question or is this more a concern for
the amplifier?

3. I have been reading about sealed, ported, and transmission line
cabinets. Am I correct that these varieties offer lower bass response
(consecutively) or do they just offer louder bass? How do they fit
into the near-field/far-field question?

4. Not knowing about the rest of the system, not even whether I will
favor a tube or solid state componentry, what are some speaker models
I should audition for listening in a 12' x12' room, mostly jazz and
classical, on a budget between $1-2K?

Thanks for all advice,

gary