Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Howard Ferstler Howard Ferstler is offline

Default Ferstler Moves On

paul packer wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:53:58 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Why? Well, see the current issue for a letter to the editor
from me that highlights my feelings about several reviews
that appeared in an earlier issue. Obviously, if they
publish reviews like that my contributions (at least those
that involve editorializing about goofy audio) would tend to
be unsettling and out of place. Ironically, without such
reviews (and this goes for outfits like Stereophile and The
Absolute Sound) the magazine would be in trouble. They need
tweako subscribers, just like other high-end publications.

As I have indicated before, audio has split into two camps.
On the one hand we have the lunatic fringe and magazines
that cater to them, and on the other hand we have the glitz
and gizmo group, catered to by assorted home-theater and
audio-decor magazines. Not much room for old-style audio
journalism any more.

The thing I don't get is, if mags don't talk about subjective
differences, what do they talk about? Back in the 70s I read a couple
of issues of Stereo Review and was bored to tears. Every product was
excellent except one or two that maybe should have placed the balance
control to the left rather than right of the volume control. It was
all harmonic and intermodulation distortion graphs, and once you've
seen one of those you've seen them all. What is the point of a mag
that makes no comment on sound quality, or assumes there is none?

Yes, this is a problem with the the hobby of audio. Most
enthusiasts want some action and observable contrasts with
their hobby. If amps and wires and players (costs
notwithstanding) all pretty much perform the same, then what
fun is it to speculate about which is "best?" And what fun
is it to spend big on a super amp and preamp or super player
or super wires if some clown can go to Circuit City and get
a receiver or player that works as well and go to a hardware
store and get lamp cord that also works (subjectively, at
least) as well. It is an unfortunate fact of life that a
hobby like audio almost demands that speculation and
guesswork-grade evaluations be done, and that there is some
way to purchase elitist-grade products that allow the owner
to gain a feeling of pride. And fit and finish advantages
and reliability just do not do it for some people

I will say that Stereo Review probably had an editorial
position that limited negative reviews. Supposedly, this
allowed them to present products that readers might care to
buy, rather than present products that put some small
manufacturers out of business because of negative reviews.
Space was limited and the editors probably felt that people
would be more interested in decent components than in
reading about junk. I think that some of the product reviews
that Audio magazine also did managed to do a good job of
straddling the subjective and objective fence. Of course,
some of Audio's reviews were as goofy as the most notorious
you will find in the subjective magazines.

Note that while Stereo Review's amp and player reviewer were
rather bland (unless you enjoyed measured data and printed
curves, which I will admit that I often do), their speaker
reviews at least did allow for a fair amount of speculation.
Indeed, Julian Hirsch, although pretty straightforward and
analytic when reviewing stuff like amps and players, was
definitely a bottom-line subjectivist when he reviewed
speakers, even though he also provided rudimentary
measurements. I did that sort of thing, myself, by the way.
Also, back when he was reviewing cartridges Hirsch did a
good straddling of subjective and objective points of view.

Okay, admittedly some of the subjective mags hear differences where a
dog would have difficulty, but I'm sure most readers compensate for
that with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I'd like to think so. However, you would not guess that if
the only audio opinions you ever read were from some of the
crackpots here on RAO.

I just don't get the point of
mags that deny the reality of subjectivism. It's like a mag about
fridges that says, "Hey, they all freeze the bloody ice cream so what
are you worried about? Just get the size that suits."

Well, The Sensible Sound (where I mostly wrote for the last
few years) is often outrageously subjective. Yes, guys like
me, David Rich, and David Moran (and Fred Davis, when he
helped me with a wire review that I got suckered into by the
management) were (and are) pretty brass-tacks oriented.
(Rich goes well beyond even that with his amp and player
reviews.) However, most of the remaining contributors turn
speculation into an art form. And as I noted, Hirsch's
reviews of speakers were more subjective than objective. I
also wrote for The Audiophile Voice, and I must admit that I
avoided reviewing any products for them that had black-box
performance. Speakers and subwoofers, only, and even then
the editor wanted minimal technical babble.

In any case, if the truth hurts (amps are amps and wires are
wires) it is something we just have to live with. Remember,
sound-alike amps and players, as well as sound-alike wires,
are not the only components in audio. We have surround-sound
receivers and processors that simply must be partially
evaluated based upon subjective impressions, and that makes
for often wide-open review situations. Components like that
will allow a reviewer to go overboard with speculation at
times, and yet the review will still be educational and
worthwhile. And of course, we still have the power-output
and wild-load issue with amps, even if they sound alike
under more sane conditions. And as I have noted, speakers
allow for some very interesting speculations. Heck, even
subwoofers can be evaluated with a combination of subjective
and objective approaches that are interesting.

But, yes, if the truth won out in audio I think that the
size of the hobby would shrink considerably. It would almost
be mandatory that the hobby merge with video, which is of
course what is happening, anyway.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message
wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Just kidding. Actually, when I finally left the university
library a while back they had a really big party for me:
food, presents, friends; the whole nine yards. On the other
hand, I think that the publisher of The Sensible Sound was
glad to be rid of me when I announced my self-imposed
termination.

Why? Well, see the current issue for a letter to the editor
from me that highlights my feelings about several reviews
that appeared in an earlier issue. Obviously, if they
publish reviews like that my contributions (at least those
that involve editorializing about goofy audio) would tend to
be unsettling and out of place. Ironically, without such
reviews (and this goes for outfits like Stereophile and The
Absolute Sound) the magazine would be in trouble. They need
tweako subscribers, just like other high-end publications.

As I have indicated before, audio has split into two camps.
On the one hand we have the lunatic fringe and magazines
that cater to them, and on the other hand we have the glitz
and gizmo group, catered to by assorted home-theater and
audio-decor magazines. Not much room for old-style audio
journalism any more.

Well, at least you finally admit that you're worthless, and that no one
gives a **** about your audio opinions.

I beg to differ. I am sure that some here "give a ****," as you say. Even
you do, although you obviously disagree with me. Trust me on this.

Still, I can't figure which is
smaller...your testicles, or that wrecking ball you used to boast
about.

Your problem, and this is why you will likely never amount much as a
writer, is that you have this sophomoric, childish, and of course profane
approach to both debating and the hobby in general.

you are a clown. Trust me on this.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:

[...]

You are a clow, Trust me on this.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] vinylanach@aol.com is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com
Howard Ferstler wrote:
wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Look who's talking. Your claims about tube amps and
the LP record are technically preposterous.

I don't make technical claims about anything.

That's because you are unable to. You cannot come up with
one concrete (as opposed to speculative) reason why the
LP or audio tube electronics are so damned great.

We're
holding you up to ridicule.

An attempt to obfuscate issues and protect your
unsubstantiated and childish beliefs.

That's a meaningless, ignorant statement.

Only in your mind.

Nope, most people around here pretty much agree with me
on this subject. So it's your addled mind that's in
question.

The reason most people around here pretty much agree with
you is that most people around here are idiots. Remember
what I have said about RAO being a fool's paradise? Well,
you are one of the instructors. Actually, much of
high-end audio (the tweako segment) is in the same boat.
Those who are not deluded are con artists. The funny
thing is that some of the con artists are as deluded as
their followers.

Yep, Howard. Everyone is crazy but you.

The shoe fits you especially well, Boon.

Oh boy, another IKYABWAI. I can't believe another day is here, and you
haven't put a bullet in your brain yet.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Howard Ferstler wrote:
wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:

[...]

Well, I do have an affinity for sending tight-assed, clueless old
fogeys like yourself running for the hills.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] vinylanach@aol.com is offline

Howard Ferstler wrote:
wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:

No. What "we" need is for you people to learn to
intelligently defend your opinions regarding audio

Why? Why do you "need" for people to do this?

Well, I was too confined in my explanation. What "the
industry" and audio enthusiasts throughout the world needs
if for people to do this. That way, the overall quality of
components will improve, super-expensive components will
often be seen to be overkill and a waste of money, and
rip-off products will mostly disappear. (Mostly, because I
do not expect the really crazy types to give up their
obsessions.) The net result will be a better hobby, and
therefore (please excuse the hyperbole) a better world.

You see, Howard, normal people "need" things like food, water, air,
shelter, and love. Your needs seem to stem from the behavior of
complete strangers.

I need for goofballs to stop wrecking a once productive,
intelligent, and interesting hobby. Anyone else with an
interest in audio and with an ounce of sense needs the same
thing. Well, sharp con artists obviously do not need for
things to change. They feed off of the insanity.

I have never heard a statement that defines "quixotic" better than
this. You are on a fool's errand.

Go out to your workshop, Howard, and whittle yourself a new life before
you're dead and forgotten.

Boon

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, I do have an affinity for sending tight-assed, clueless old
fogeys like yourself running for the hills.

I forgot exactly how many times you have left RAO with your
tail between your legs. when does your next hiatus begin?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, I do have an affinity for sending tight-assed, clueless old
fogeys like yourself running for the hills.

Sorry I thought youwere Howie, it is something he would say

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:52:56 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

I have a lot of fun buying
and selling cheap used amps on Ebay--Marantz, Nad, Rotel, recently a
Technics--and comparing differences--and there are differences. The
best cheapie I've come across yet is a Marantz SR50 receiver (around
50 watts) from 1992, and unless very inefficient speakers are being
used I believe it provides as good a sound as most people would ever
want.

No doubt. I found the same thing with a 50 wpc NAD receiver
that I reviewed for The Sensible Sound quite some time ago.
It did manage to sound the same as several other, more
powerful amps and receiver amp sections I had on hand. The
trick was to not push it too loud.

I've tried most of the old NADS. Pretty good. The Marantz SR50 once
figured in a 12 receiver test in Hi-Fi Choice (April, '92) and came
out equal first with a NAD 7225pe.

So where do I stand in the debate? I'm a subjectivist in that I
believe properly operating amps even in the same price range sound
different,

Try doing your comparisons level matched. Make sure that
each channel is level-matched to the corresponding channel
in the second amp. Global level matching with the main gain
control will not do the trick, because there may still be
channel balance differences that impact soundstaging. I have
found that while a volt meter is the most precise tool for
level matching, you can do the job quite well by ear if you
use a pink-noise source. Just set the levels so when you
switch from one amp to the other there is no perceptible
change. Then go on to do the musical comparing.

What I forgot to say is that I don't believe in A/B tests at all. I've
tried them, even between components I know to sound vastly different
in long-term listening. Only the grossest differences ever show up. I
don't know why, but I suspect one day we'll find out. The only way to
test amps or CD players is to listen to a whole piece (around 5
minutes is enough) on one and then the other, and keep doing it. The
differences are soon apparently, or there really isn't a difference.
For the home listener deciding between components, that's all that's
needed.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

wrote:
Yes, this is a problem with the the hobby of audio. Most

enthusiasts want some action and observable contrasts with
their hobby. If amps and wires and players (costs
notwithstanding) all pretty much perform the same, then what
fun is it to speculate about which is "best?" And what fun
is it to spend big on a super amp and preamp or super player
or super wires if some clown can go to Circuit City and get
a receiver or player that works as well and go to a hardware
store and get lamp cord that also works (subjectively, at
least) as well. It is an unfortunate fact of life that a
hobby like audio almost demands that speculation and
guesswork-grade evaluations be done, and that there is some
way to purchase elitist-grade products that allow the owner
to gain a feeling of pride. And fit and finish advantages
and reliability just do not do it for some people

I'm not much interested in whether super expensive stuff sounds better
or not. I'm more interested in the differences in equipment in the
affordable price ranges. And my listenings shows me clearly that there
are differences--no doubts there at all. However, I'm not saying those
differences would be detected by every listener, or that if they were.
that the listeners would even care. I listen carefully. Sound is
important to me. The differences I hear can to me be the difference
between continuing pleasure and nagging disappointment---yet still
they're quite small, and I daresay would be undetectable or
insignificant to most people. So in a sense both the subjectivists and
objectivists are right. There are differences, but differences only of
importance to the most fastidious listeners.

This is where I think the debate should be centered.. You were not
able to detect differences between amps and CD players, so you trusted
the measurements, as Arnie does, and the measurements appear to tell
you that the differences others claim to perceive simply don't exist.
I can certainly understand you railing against tweako-freako
merchandise, because frankly most of that stuff offends common-sense;
and I can understand you bewailing the spending of vast sums on
equipment that measures no better, sometimes worse, than cheap stuff.
However, let's leave the nutty side of the hobby to the nuts, and the
high-end to the rich, and at least admit that there may be perceptable
differences between affordable amps and CD players. That way you don't
offend common-sense, yet you allow enough to permit the hobby to
continue and we subjectivists to have some fun comparing stuff. Is
that a fair deal?

I will say that Stereo Review probably had an editorial
position that limited negative reviews.

I heard rumours that that was the case.

Supposedly, this
allowed them to present products that readers might care to
buy, rather than present products that put some small
manufacturers out of business because of negative reviews.

Or offended big manufacturers who cared nought for sound quality.

Space was limited and the editors probably felt that people
would be more interested in decent components than in
reading about junk.

But what about when the junk was labelled a decent component?

I think that some of the product reviews
that Audio magazine also did managed to do a good job of
straddling the subjective and objective fence. Of course,
some of Audio's reviews were as goofy as the most notorious
you will find in the subjective magazines.

Never saw those.

Note that while Stereo Review's amp and player reviewer were
rather bland (unless you enjoyed measured data and printed
curves, which I will admit that I often do), their speaker
reviews at least did allow for a fair amount of speculation.

Which raises the question, if they only seemed to detect audible
differences between speakers, why not just review speakers? Why review
amps when it was clear they were not going to comment negatively on
sound quality?

Indeed, Julian Hirsch, although pretty straightforward and
analytic when reviewing stuff like amps and players, was
definitely a bottom-line subjectivist when he reviewed
speakers, even though he also provided rudimentary
measurements. I did that sort of thing, myself, by the way.
Also, back when he was reviewing cartridges Hirsch did a
good straddling of subjective and objective points of view.

Would it be possible not to be a subjectivist when reviewing speakers?
Would anyone seriously suggest all speakers sounded alike, or sounded
as they measured?

Okay, admittedly some of the subjective mags hear differences where a
dog would have difficulty, but I'm sure most readers compensate for
that with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I'd like to think so. However, you would not guess that if
the only audio opinions you ever read were from some of the
crackpots here on RAO.

Actually I rarely read audio opinion on RAO. I thought this was a
political group.

[...]

Black box?

Speakers and subwoofers, only, and even then
the editor wanted minimal technical babble.

Which is reasonable, wouldn't you say? However a speaker measures,
whatever the wonders of its conception and design, its subjective
performance is all that matters. I should say one on-axis and one
off-axis frequency response is about as much as I want to to know
about how most speakers measure.

In any case, if the truth hurts (amps are amps and wires are
wires) it is something we just have to live with.

Well now, Howard, some of us don't live with it.

Remember,
sound-alike amps and players, as well as sound-alike wires,
are not the only components in audio. We have surround-sound
receivers and processors that simply must be partially
evaluated based upon subjective impressions, and that makes
for often wide-open review situations.

How is this meant? Evaluated using what parameters?

Incidentally, I wonder what your opinion is of the performance of
typical AV surround-sound amps on stereo music? There is a huge rush
to buy used stereo amps and CD players on Ebay due to a general
subjective dissatisfaction with surround stuff.

Components like that
will allow a reviewer to go overboard with speculation at
times, and yet the review will still be educational and
worthwhile. And of course, we still have the power-output
and wild-load issue with amps, even if they sound alike
under more sane conditions.

Lots of questions there. Cannot a wild load affect an amp's
performance even at sane levels, for one?

And as I have noted, speakers
allow for some very interesting speculations. Heck, even
subwoofers can be evaluated with a combination of subjective
and objective approaches that are interesting.

But, yes, if the truth won out in audio I think that the
size of the hobby would shrink considerably.

It has, not because the truth won out but because most people aren't
very discerning and put price before quality and novelty and gadgets
before performance.

It would almost
be mandatory that the hobby merge with video, which is of
course what is happening, anyway.

(sob)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

paul packer said:

Not if you contributed something to society that will outlive you. Not
if you raised decent children who will go on to be productive. Not if
you have a lifetime of wonderful memories of people, places and things.

There's more.

Please can the preaching, paul.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:57:52 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr
[underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote:

paul packer said:

Not if you contributed something to society that will outlive you. Not
if you raised decent children who will go on to be productive. Not if
you have a lifetime of wonderful memories of people, places and things.

There's more.

Please can the preaching, paul.

Sorry to go on and on, George.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

wrote:
[...]

snip

This is one of the most sensible ($ensible?) posts that has appeared
here in some time.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn said:

However, let's leave the nutty side of the hobby to the nuts, and the
high-end to the rich, and at least admit that there may be perceptable
differences between affordable amps and CD players. That way you don't
offend common-sense, yet you allow enough to permit the hobby to
continue and we subjectivists to have some fun comparing stuff. Is
that a fair deal?

This is one of the most sensible ($ensible?) posts that has appeared
here in some time.

Sorry, Ferstler does not compromise.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
Howard Ferstler wrote:

I need for goofballs to stop wrecking a once productive,
intelligent, and interesting hobby. Anyone else with an
interest in audio and with an ounce of sense needs the same
thing. Well, sharp con artists obviously do not need for
things to change. They feed off of the insanity.

I have never heard a statement that defines "quixotic" better than
this. You are on a fool's errand.

Good point. Yes, the high-end branch of the hobby is loaded
with people who will remain fools, no matter what.

Go out to your workshop, Howard, and whittle yourself a new life before
you're dead and forgotten.

Actually, yours is a good suggestion, although I prefer to
just work on normal projects instead of whittling a new
life. While it is still hot here, the workshop and its deck
are in the shade most of the day, and so doing projects out
there is not really all that bad. I have some items I want
to build now, and I also am getting back into reading. The
fact is that duking it out with you people is, for the most
part, both demoralizing and a waste of time.

I'll drop back in one of these days to see if the same
people are going on and on about the same pointless
subjects: like the LP record and tube amps, among other topics.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

[...]

Actually, you can do level-matched (and blind) comparisons
in a way that is similar in principle to what you do. You
just do the A/B switching over a longer period of time, as
you noted.

Remember, if you do not do the comparing blind there is no
way to know for sure if you are really hearing differences
or just letting preconceptions take over the operation. And
if you do not compare level matched all bets just absolutely
have to be off.

While it is still hot here, my workshop and its deck out
back are in the shade most of the day, and so, in spite of
what I have said before about it being too hot here to do
woodworking projects, doing things like that out there is
not really all that bad. I have some items I want to build
now, and I also am getting back into reading. (Just wrapped
up a good book by Daniel Boorstin, and realize that I took
way too long to read it, partially because I have been
occupied here for an hour or two every day or every other
day.) The fact is that duking it out with some of the RAO
crowd (not you so much, at least for this series) is, for
the most part, both demoralizing and a waste of time.

I'll drop back in one of these days to see if the same
people are going on and on about the same pointless subjects.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Howard Ferstler Howard Ferstler is offline

Clyde Slick wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, I do have an affinity for sending tight-assed, clueless old
fogeys like yourself running for the hills.

I forgot exactly how many times you have left RAO with your
tail between your legs. when does your next hiatus begin?

Immediately, but without my tail between my legs, tweako.
While it is still hot here, my workshop and its deck out
back are in the shade most of the day, and so, in spite of
what I have said before about it being too hot here to do
woodworking projects, doing things like that out there is
not really all that taxing. I have some items I want to
build now, and I also am getting back into reading. The fact
is that duking it out with some of you RAO trilobites is,
for the most part, both demoralizing and a waste of time. I
have managed to post enough for assorted newcomers to get a
feel for the stupidity of the tweako point of view.

I'll drop back in one of these days to see if the same
people are ranting about the same pointless subjects.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Howard Ferstler said:

Go out to your workshop, Howard, and whittle yourself a new life before
you're dead and forgotten.

Actually, yours is a good suggestion, although I prefer to
just work on normal projects instead of whittling a new
life. While it is still hot here, the workshop and its deck
are in the shade most of the day, and so doing projects out
there is not really all that bad. I have some items I want
to build now, and I also am getting back into reading.

Just out of curiosity Howard, did you ever build loudspeakers (or a
subwoofer) yourself?

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

wrote:

[...]

crowd (not you so much, at least for this series) is, for the most part,
both demoralizing and a waste of time.

I'll drop back in one of these days to see if the same people are going on
and on about the same pointless subjects.

Howard Ferstler

Gosh - Howard even plagarizes himself!?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Sander deWaal said:

Just out of curiosity Howard, did you ever build loudspeakers (or a
subwoofer) yourself?

Of course not. As you know very well, Harold has not succeeded in
channeling Allison's spirit (probably because Allison is still using it).

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default Ferstlerianism's lighter side

Brother Horace the Hideously Masochistic leered:

Actually, you can do level-matched (and blind) comparisons
in a way that is similar in principle to what you do.

While we're on the subject of grotesque wastes of time, here are some
suggestions for whiling away the hours of your increasingly bitter
retirement:

1. See if you can get into Guinness by amassing the largest collection of
dead insects. I believe Florida is simply teeming with easy-to-catch
specimens of the various orders of insects.

2. Paint the entire exterior of your house using one of those whisker-thin
brushes for doing touch-ups on model airplanes.

3. Undertake a project to sample and document the early-bird specials in
every restaurant in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi.

4. Actualize your plan to rid the earth of vinyl by hiring legions of
students to scour yard sales throughout the country. Offer them a bounty for
each record scalp (the label and the vinyl it's glued to) they send you.

5. Volunteer as a library aide in public libraries throughout your area.
While you're shuffling around in the stacks of local and regional public
libraries, you can black out references to vinyl, turntables, and tubed gear
from all the audio books and magazines.

Harold, if you were to undertake one or two of these daunting projects, I'm
sure your boredom would be dispelled and the cleaning lady would stop
haranguing you for hanging around the house all the time.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] elmir2m@shaw.ca is offline

wrote:
[...]

------------------------------

I distinctly recall Hirsch saying something to the effect:" Basically
you gets what you pays for."
That was the day I stopped looking at his mag.
Ludovic Mirabel

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

said:

[...]

You see George, this is why I can't stay mad at you for long.

This is hilarious ;-)

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

[...]

Of course, the only way we could be absolutely sure that
they were "undetectable or insignificant" for you would be
for you to do the comparing both level matched and blind.
Without those two prerequisites there is no way you could be
confident that your preconceptions, hopes, or prejudices
would not be running the show.

So in a sense both the subjectivists and
objectivists are right. There are differences, but differences only of
importance to the most fastidious listeners.

I agree. However, the only way for even the "most
fastidious" listener to be really sure would be to do the
comparing level matched and blind. Indeed, given that we are
talking about people who really, really want to KNOW for
sure, going the level-matched and blind route seems like the
only sensible option. Certainly, a concerned individual
would at least give the level-matched, blind (or DBT)
protocol a try, just to get a feel for the procedure.

This is where I think the debate should be centered.. You were not
able to detect differences between amps and CD players, so you trusted
the measurements, as Arnie does, and the measurements appear to tell
you that the differences others claim to perceive simply don't exist.

Actually, I only rarely reviewed amps or players. I could
not hear a difference when comparing level matched, and I
did not bother to measure. (I do not own gear precise enough
to measure properly, anyway.) I tried to simulate what a
typical enthusiast could do, and for them that would mean
listening comparisons, only. However, I did want to make the
point that such comparisons, be they done quickly or done
slowly, should be level matched and blind. Better yet,
double blind.

I can certainly understand you railing against tweako-freako
merchandise, because frankly most of that stuff offends common-sense;
and I can understand you bewailing the spending of vast sums on
equipment that measures no better, sometimes worse, than cheap stuff.
However, let's leave the nutty side of the hobby to the nuts, and the
high-end to the rich, and at least admit that there may be perceptable
differences between affordable amps and CD players. That way you don't
offend common-sense, yet you allow enough to permit the hobby to
continue and we subjectivists to have some fun comparing stuff. Is
that a fair deal?

Well, with the amps that I reviewed, as well as commentary
articles that I did that discussed comparing amps, I made it
a point to:

1. Not take my word for it. I wanted the more skeptical (of
my results) readers to do their own comparing - level
matched and blind, at the very least.

2. Point out that other variables (speaker quality, room
acoustics, recording quality) would have way more impact
even if small amp variations would be audible under very
rigid listening/comparing protocols. For most enthusiasts, I
should think that the musical content would overwhelm any
need for absolutely clean amp sound.

Note that I continue to think that decent amps, if not
driven past limits and with sane speaker loads, will deliver
subjectively absolutely clean sound.

I will say that Stereo Review probably had an editorial
position that limited negative reviews.

I heard rumours that that was the case.

I think that their then technical editor, Larry Klein,
outlined this in an article somewhere, although I cannot
remember the details. It may have been printed in a back
issue of the Boston Audio Society magazine "Speaker." By the
way, Klein was given a biographical outline by me in The
Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound.

Supposedly, this
allowed them to present products that readers might care to
buy, rather than present products that put some small
manufacturers out of business because of negative reviews.

Or offended big manufacturers who cared nought for sound quality.

Most of the large manufacturers were not concerned one way
or the other. If a product was panned by a magazine review
they could simply discontinue it and come out with a
replacement, assuming that the review triggered poor sales.
(Probably, the replacement would be a cosmetically
reconfigured version of the previous product.) It was the
smaller companies that would be severely impacted by a bad
review, due to their inability to retool so fast.

Space was limited and the editors probably felt that people
would be more interested in decent components than in
reading about junk.

But what about when the junk was labelled a decent component?

Well, I think that rarely happened, even with Stereo Review
or Audio. They might make a mistake, but I do not think they
gave any product a "pass" that they did not think deserved it.

Note that while Stereo Review's amp and player reviewer were
rather bland (unless you enjoyed measured data and printed
curves, which I will admit that I often do), their speaker
reviews at least did allow for a fair amount of speculation.

Which raises the question, if they only seemed to detect audible
differences between speakers, why not just review speakers? Why review
amps when it was clear they were not going to comment negatively on
sound quality?

They needed to sell magazines. Note that their amp reviews
usually did not come right out and say that a given,
somewhat expensive amp, did not sound any better than scads
of other units that often cost less. What they did do was
evaluate the features and then summarize (this is Hirsch) by
saying that the unit sounded transparent, etc.

Indeed, Julian Hirsch, although pretty straightforward and
analytic when reviewing stuff like amps and players, was
definitely a bottom-line subjectivist when he reviewed
speakers, even though he also provided rudimentary
measurements. I did that sort of thing, myself, by the way.
Also, back when he was reviewing cartridges Hirsch did a
good straddling of subjective and objective points of view.

Would it be possible not to be a subjectivist when reviewing speakers?
Would anyone seriously suggest all speakers sounded alike, or sounded
as they measured?

Actually, I think that Floyd Toole (previously at the
Canadian NRC and now at Harman) would say that. He has been
working for years to correlate measurements with subjective
impressions, and has published articles on the topic.

To a small extent I have also been that way. I did very
basic RTA measurements of speakers in my main room that
measured a combination of the direct and reverberant fields.
My technique was a bit different than typical, however.

I measured at a 10 foot to 15 foot distance (to each speaker
in a playing pair, depending on placement in relation to the
front wall) and moved the measurement microphone very slowly
over a 1 x 1 x 5 foot box-shaped area at roughly head height
at the listening couch. During this time my AudioControl
SA-3051 RTA would do a cumulative, 20-second averaging of
the signals hitting the microphone. This limited the impact
of reflective hot spots and standing waves, while still
gaining me a fairly accurate room curve, for that room.

With speakers that measured similarly (I noted a similarity
between my Dunlavy Cantatas and a Triad sub/package in
another thread) I found that the spectral balance that I
heard was also similar. Very similar.

On the other hand, speakers that measured rather poorly (and
I did publish reviews of a few of them, with some being
fairly expensive) easily not only sounded different from my
three reference systems (the Cantatas, plus a pair of NHT
ST4 units in a mid-price category and my Allison IC-20
systems in the wide-dispersion category) but also sounded
just plain wrong.

Of course, in some cases there were variables that had been
dialed in by some of the manufacturers, with most of those
involving midrange dips or downward slopes from the midrange
to the treble, that made systems that were at least smooth
still sound different from the flatter-measuring reference
units. When I reviewed such systems I pointed out those
artifacts and also noted that in many cases (different
rooms, different furnishings, different listening distances,
different recordings) such anomalies might not be all that
bad. I even did an article that showed how speakers with
moderate midrange dips (the result of tweeter/midrange
driver size differences) might sound better than
flatter-sounding systems under some conditions. As I have
noted before, I cut speaker manufacturers a lot of slack in
my reviews. However, I did make a point of showing why
speakers may have sounded as they did.

In my reviews, I never showed the readouts that I made
(Hirsch never did this with speakers, either), but some time
back I did a pair of comprehensive commentary articles where
I illustrated a whole group of curves run on speakers that I
had either reviewed previously or had on hand as references.
I then discussed the importance of such curves and also made
a big point of noting that such curves were not the be all
and end all of speaker evaluating. Starting points, but not
finishing points.

[...]

An analogy. Straight wire with gain for amps.
Straightforward performance with players. No colorations at
all with wires. I did not care to pontificate for a reading
group who already felt as they did about those topics. Gene
Pitts (the editor) had already told me that most of his
readers thought that measurements "do not mean a thing," and
that skeptical outlooks like mine would not go over well.
However, with full-range speakers and subwoofers I could be
fairly candid and not get into trouble, because speakers are
all audibly flawed by definition. Even so, he did not want
me dwelling too much on my measured data.

Speakers and subwoofers, only, and even then
the editor wanted minimal technical babble.

Which is reasonable, wouldn't you say? However a speaker measures,
whatever the wonders of its conception and design, its subjective
performance is all that matters. I should say one on-axis and one
off-axis frequency response is about as much as I want to to know
about how most speakers measure.

I did not go even that far. When I first started measuring I
took speakers outdoors on the deck next to my house and
tried to get assorted on and off-axis readouts. The problem
is that when measuring horizontally at different angles you
still have to determine just how high or low you want to
locate the microphone. If you get what you believe to be a
definitive measurement at, say, 45 degrees off the
horizontal axis at one microphone height location, you will
discover that if you raise or lower the microphone a bit and
measure again the result will be considerably different.

To make measurement jobs like that worthwhile you have to to
a HUGE number of measurements. (Believe it or not, this is
what Consumer Reports does, although they use a computer to
pull the data into a single power-response curve.)
Consequently, I decided to stick with room curves that
mainly delivered the reverberant-field performance in what I
considered to be a very good room: the one containing my
main system. Doing the moving-microphone technique, as I
have noted, managed to minimize reflection artifacts in the
midrange and treble and standing-wave artifacts in the bass
range. The more measurements I did with more speaker models
the better reference that room became.

Remember,
sound-alike amps and players, as well as sound-alike wires,
are not the only components in audio. We have surround-sound
receivers and processors that simply must be partially
evaluated based upon subjective impressions, and that makes
for often wide-open review situations.

How is this meant? Evaluated using what parameters?

Well, given my feelings about amp sound, with AV receivers
that are going to be used for musical playback situations
with conventional two-channel source material, the
performance of the surround-synthesizing or
surround-extracting circuitry would be important. Of course,
one of the best designs for that nowadays would be Dolby
ProLogic II in its "music" mode, which should perform
similarly with each receiver. However, even then we have
situations where lower-priced receivers would not have the
fine-tuning adjustments available with more upscale models.
In this case, spending a bit more would actually pay off.

Incidentally, I wonder what your opinion is of the performance of
typical AV surround-sound amps on stereo music? There is a huge rush
to buy used stereo amps and CD players on Ebay due to a general
subjective dissatisfaction with surround stuff.

Below is an aside commentary that might answer this question.

The units in my three AV systems are all Yamaha models. (I
can say this more safely now that I am out of the reviewing
business.) The oldest one is a DSP-A3090 integrated amp that
is using only five of its seven available channels. The
living-room decor arrangement forces this. The one in my
middle system is a DSP-A1 integrated amp and in this case
all seven of its channels (plus the subwoofer output) are
used. I think that having front "effects" channels, in
addition to the usual back/side "surround" channels allows
this unit to do a magnificent hall-simulation job with
two-channel classical source materials.

My main system uses a Yamaha RX-Z1 receiver, which is
probably no better at synthesizing surround ambiance than
the other two. However, it also has a "back" surround
channel that I use with certain movies, and it also has more
power.

Yamaha recommends certain speaker layouts with the units and
I do not follow their lead. They want the four surround
speakers (front effects and standard surrounds) to be in the
four corners of a rectangular room, with the ones up front
(effects speakers) mounted facing forward, high up, and
flanking the left and right main speakers. I have that
rectangular room with both my main and middle systems, but I
place the effects speakers on the side walls, about three
feet out from the front wall, and have them facing each
other across the room. They are, as Yamaha dictates, high up
(6 feet), however.

The regular surround speakers that Yamaha wants in the back
corners are placed on the side walls, too (with both the
main and middle systems), slightly back from directly to the
sides, and facing each other across the room. With the RX-Z1
in the main system, two "back" surround speakers are mounted
seven feet up on the back wall, four feet apart.

The four primary surround speakers in the main system are
old Allison Model Four systems that have two angled-outward
tweeters (each angled 45 degrees to either side) and
upward-facing mid/woofer drivers. This lets them perform as
superb surround speakers. Model Fours are also used as
primary surrounds in the middle system, but the front
effects speakers are home-built jobs with Allison tweeters
and crossover and (shudder) Radio Shack midranges.

The music mode I use is nearly always what Yamaha calls
"Classical/Opera." This mode provides basic, synthesized
surround to the four main surround speakers (not the back
surround speakers with the RX-Z1) and provides a "derived,"
left-plus-right, steered signal for the center channel speaker.

With the center, the steering involved is similar to basic
Dolby ProLogic, and to keep the soundstage from pinching
inward towards the center area I back off the center gain 3
or 4 dB below the standard Dolby set-up level. This allows
the center speaker to stabilize the soundstage (particularly
when listening from off axis), while at the same time
allowing the left and right speakers to still generate
appreciable width.

The left and right speakers in my middle system are Dunlavy
Cantatas, and the center is a partially home-built job (by
me) that incorporates an NHT VS1.2 center unit with a
standard MTM array, vertically mounted and installed in a
shop-built enclosure that makes use of a downward-firing,
Allison 6.5-inch woofer and a 150 Hz Allison crossover
(derived from an earlier Allison sub/sat speaker package).
This speaker is much shorter than the Cantatas, but the
front panel slopes backward a tad to keep the MTM array
properly aligned to the ear-height listening position. To
deliver the flattest sound possible to the listening
position, the three front speakers, plus the Hsu TN1220
subwoofer, are equalized by a Rane THX-44.

The left and right speakers in my main system are Allison
IC-20 units. The IC-20 has ten Allison drivers, with two
tweeters and two midranges mounted on each of the 45-degree,
angled outward front panels. The 10-inch, push-pull woofers
are mounted on the bottom of each panel, as well. All
drivers, and of course the cabinet, are built by Allison and
are not OEM units.

The center, as with the center in the middle system, is a
home-built job that uses Allison tweeter and midrange units
installed in a shop-built enclosure that has two 8-inch
Allison woofers mounted at the bottoms of each side panel.
The MTTM array duplicates the MTTM Allison driver array on
one of the IC-20 front panels. As with the other center
speaker, this unit has the front panel tilted backward a
bit. Four degrees, actually.

Each tweeter, midrange, and woofer driver in this custom
center unit has its own crossover network (a modified
Allison AL-125 unit), and each trio of drivers is powered by
one of the 130-watt main-channel amps in the RX-Z1.

The main speakers are powered by a Carver M500 amp and are
equalized (slightly, since they are inherently very flat)
for flat response at the listening couch (using my 20-second
cumulative technique) by Rane THX-22. The center speaker is
equalized by an AudioControl C-131 equalizer. All equalizers
used are 1/3-octave units. The main problem with the center
speaker is that the two woofers (on opposite sides, near the
bottom) generate a cancellation null (the "Allison Effect")
at 355-350 Hz. The equalizer takes care of that.

The main system uses two subwoofers. One handles the left
and right main channels (in spite of the potency of the
IC-20 main speakers) and involves a modified SVS 16-46 unit
that is powered by a 250-watt Hsu amp. The other is a
Velodyne F1800RII that works with the center and surround
channels, plus the LFE channel.

Components like that
will allow a reviewer to go overboard with speculation at
times, and yet the review will still be educational and
worthwhile. And of course, we still have the power-output
and wild-load issue with amps, even if they sound alike
under more sane conditions.

Lots of questions there. Cannot a wild load affect an amp's
performance even at sane levels, for one?

Yep. However, the impact is probably slight in most cases,
assuming that this "wild" load merely involves very low
impedance. With reactive loads like electrostatics all bets
are off.

As I have noted elsewhere in this series of posts, while it
is still hot here, my workshop and its deck out back are in
the shade most of the day, and so, in spite of what I have
said before about it being too hot here to do woodworking
projects, doing things like that out there is not really all
that bad.

Consequently, I am going to back off from RAO for a while
and do some other interesting things. There is one
exception, however, and this involves whether you come up
with some interesting comments about this particular post.
If not, see you later.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Sander deWaal said:

Harold, if you were to undertake one or two of these daunting projects, I'm
sure your boredom would be dispelled and the cleaning lady would stop
haranguing you for hanging around the house all the time.

You see George, this is why I can't stay mad at you for long.

You were mad at me? Not on Scooter's account, I hope. His head is being
examined as we speak to see if it qualifies for a Mohs rating.

This is hilarious ;-)

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. :-)

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article 44b94c68$1@kcnews01,
Howard Ferstler wrote:

wrote:

Well, I do have an affinity for sending tight-assed, clueless old
fogeys like yourself running for the hills.

Better an old fogey than a phony, you phony.

As I said recently and elsewhere, while it is still hot
outside, my workshop and its deck out back are in the shade
most of the day, and so, in spite of what I have said before
about it being too hot here to do woodworking projects,
doing things like that out there is not really all that bad.
I have some items I want to build now, and I also am getting
back into reading. The fact is that duking it out with
people like you is, for the most part, both demoralizing and
a waste of time. There is no way to make you and your fellow
nitwits see just where you have gone wrong, and it does not
take all that many posts by me to clue in assorted newcomers
about just how goofy tweako audio happens to be.

I'll drop back in one of these days to see if the same
people are going on and on about the same pointless
subjects: such as tube amps and the LP record.

Howard Ferstler

Howard, I find your approach to life to be...interesting. You
ceremoniously leave the group several months ago (over a year now?), but
you pop back in every few months to bring a ray of sunshine by calling
everyone in the group (with the exception of two or three) "goofy",
"nitwits", etc. Then you take great pains to say that you're leaving
again, but you keep posting for over a week, and again today you say
"goodbye" using nearly the same words in three consecutive posts. Why
would anyone take the time to come to a place that he supposedly
despises, displaying all the while that it's difficult for him to leave
and stay away, taking pains to be critical of others' opinions in a
groups whose name contains the word "opinion", and claiming to be
educating others about how "goofy" their hobby is? It seems to me that
these are the actions of someone who is terribly full of himself, or
terribly lonely and insecure. You're entitled to do what you do, of
course, but it does seem odd, to say the least.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Sander deWaal wrote:

Just out of curiosity Howard, did you ever build loudspeakers (or a
subwoofer) yourself?

See my response to another post you submitted elsewhere,
regarding my entire system and home-built units.

Yes, I have built one from scratch, namely the
floor-standing center unit in my main system (this set up
has an 8-foot wide, pull down screen on the wall above and
behind that speaker for use with a front projector), and
combined an existing, small NHT MTM center unit with a
woofer and crossover network into a vertically oriented
cabinet for my middle system. I also have modified two
subwoofers (one made by Hsu and the other made by SVS) and
built two different small satellite speakers for surround use.

More details about the center speakers, and my systems in
general, are found in that other post.

I will again point out that I am pulling back from RAO for a
while, after today. I will respond to interesting comments
to that other post, however, but only briefly. One can only
stand RAO for so long.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn wrote:

Why
would anyone take the time to come to a place that he supposedly
despises, displaying all the while that it's difficult for him to leave
and stay away, taking pains to be critical of others' opinions in a
groups whose name contains the word "opinion", and claiming to be
educating others about how "goofy" their hobby is?

I was a philosophy major in grad school.

Adios

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Howard Ferstler said:

Just out of curiosity Howard, did you ever build loudspeakers (or a
subwoofer) yourself?

See my response to another post you submitted elsewhere,
regarding my entire system and home-built units.

Yes, I have built one from scratch, namely the
floor-standing center unit in my main system (this set up
has an 8-foot wide, pull down screen on the wall above and
behind that speaker for use with a front projector), and
combined an existing, small NHT MTM center unit with a
woofer and crossover network into a vertically oriented
cabinet for my middle system. I also have modified two
subwoofers (one made by Hsu and the other made by SVS) and
built two different small satellite speakers for surround use.

More details about the center speakers, and my systems in
general, are found in that other post.

Ok, thanks, I didn't realize from that post that the center was a DIY
project.

I certainly would build my own speakers, if I had a fully-equipped
woodworking toolshed at my disposal.
As it is now, I have neither the space, nor the money to build up an
entire woodwork place. I would like to, however.
I feel it as a shortcoming in my experience that I have never built
any serious speakers myself (only one subwoofer doesn't count IMO).

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
Howard Ferstler said:

Go out to your workshop, Howard, and whittle yourself a new life before
you're dead and forgotten.

Actually, yours is a good suggestion, although I prefer to
just work on normal projects instead of whittling a new
life. While it is still hot here, the workshop and its deck
are in the shade most of the day, and so doing projects out
there is not really all that bad. I have some items I want
to build now, and I also am getting back into reading.

Just out of curiosity Howard, did you ever build loudspeakers (or a
subwoofer) yourself?

He doesn't build them, he only chops them in half
(True story!!!)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

Jenn wrote:

Why would anyone take the time to come to a place that he supposedly
despises, displaying all the while that it's difficult for him to leave
and stay away, taking pains to be critical of others' opinions in a
groups whose name contains the word "opinion", and claiming to be
educating others about how "goofy" their hobby is?

I was a philosophy major in grad school.

Adios

Howard Ferstler

he washed out!

Not philisophical enough?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

paul packer said:

he washed out!

Not philisophical enough?

Only a philostine would ask that.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil dave weil is offline

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:41:44 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Consequently, I am going to back off from RAO for a while
and do some other interesting things.

I'm glad that you find RAO interesting. Since you find reading RAO
akin to a root canal (something that you *might* have said), perhaps a
visit to your dentist is in order.

Nice to see you drop in though, Howard.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil dave weil is offline

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:06:57 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Jenn wrote:

Why
would anyone take the time to come to a place that he supposedly
despises, displaying all the while that it's difficult for him to leave
and stay away, taking pains to be critical of others' opinions in a
groups whose name contains the word "opinion", and claiming to be
educating others about how "goofy" their hobby is?

I was a philosophy major in grad school.

Did you graduate graduate school?

(rhetorical question)

PS, want to express your opinion of post-graduate types again for us?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn wrote:

Why would anyone take the time to come to a place that he supposedly
despises, displaying all the while that it's difficult for him to leave
and stay away, taking pains to be critical of others' opinions in a
groups whose name contains the word "opinion", and claiming to be
educating others about how "goofy" their hobby is?

I was a philosophy major in grad school.

Adios

Howard Ferstler

he washed out!

Not philisophical enough?

They didn't like his thesis on Sex and The Rationalists.