Spockie

Default why would an amp be 4 ohm mono and not 2 ohm mono?

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/POWA6004HP
is the amp

it says 2-Ohm Stereo / 4-Ohm Mono Stable

it seems like 2 ohm should be mono and 4 ohm should be stereo

i don't get it
MZ

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/POWA6004HP
is the amp

it says 2-Ohm Stereo / 4-Ohm Mono Stable

it seems like 2 ohm should be mono and 4 ohm should be stereo

i don't get it

This amp is typical. By "mono" they mean bridged mono. I can't think of a
way to describe why this is so without it getting probably too technical.
Sorry. I guess you'll have to take my word for it.

Spockie

This amp is typical. By "mono" they mean bridged mono. I can't think
of a way to describe why this is so without it getting probably too
technical. Sorry. I guess you'll have to take my word for it.

okay but if it is mono then the speakers would be mono and not sound as
good as stereo?
MZ

This amp is typical. By "mono" they mean bridged mono. I can't think
of a way to describe why this is so without it getting probably too
technical. Sorry. I guess you'll have to take my word for it.

okay but if it is mono then the speakers would be mono and not sound as
good as stereo?

That's right. You only bridge an amp when running a single speaker (in
which case you'd need two of these amps to run both the left and right
speakers) or when driving subwoofers, which tend to have an insignificant
stereo component.

Spockie

That's right. You only bridge an amp when running a single speaker
(in which case you'd need two of these amps to run both the left and
right speakers) or when driving subwoofers, which tend to have an
insignificant stereo component.

no but the specs were saying that 4ohm is mono and 2ohm is stereo

from that specs it would mean that bridging would give you stereo and
leaving them unbridge would give you mono

MZ

That's right. You only bridge an amp when running a single speaker
(in which case you'd need two of these amps to run both the left and
right speakers) or when driving subwoofers, which tend to have an
insignificant stereo component.

no but the specs were saying that 4ohm is mono and 2ohm is stereo

The numbers that are being provided are minimum values. They're saying "if
bridging, don't use a load below 4 ohms; when running in stereo, don't use
loads below 2 ohms".

from that specs it would mean that bridging would give you stereo and
leaving them unbridge would give you mono

No. Obviously two channels receiving stereo inputs would provide a two
channel (stereo) output. When bridging, it takes one of these inputs (some
amps sum the two inputs) and gives you a single channel output. That is, it
bridges the two channels into one more powerful channel.

Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

I think I can answer this in laymans terms.

Most amplifiers are rated as you've noticed:
Stable down to 2 ohms when run in stereo - that is to say each of the 2 stereo
channels are used to run a discreet circuit

Stable at 4 ohms when the circuits of the 2 channels are run together to create
a single or mono output circuit.

This use of both circuits to form a single circuit has the effect of showing
the 2 formerly discreet halves of that circuit a 2 ohm load when the mono
circuit is offering those joined components 4 ohms of resistance.

Sounds like double talk, but after all is said and done, you are running those
2 formerly discreet circuits at 2 ohms each.

The proof is in the output.

The RMS output of the mono circuit usually equals the sum of the left and right
channel when they are run at 2 ohms.

So, rather than having a 35 X 2 RMS output at 4 ohms resulting in a 70 X 1 Mono
RMS output at 4 ohms, you usually have 140 X 1 RMS,
which is the same output as
70 X 2 @ 2ohms RMS

I think at the heart of your question is
"why am I getting LESS in mono"

As you can see, you are not.

MZ

This use of both circuits to form a single circuit has the effect of
showing
the 2 formerly discreet halves of that circuit a 2 ohm load when the mono
circuit is offering those joined components 4 ohms of resistance.

Sounds like double talk, but after all is said and done, you are running

those
2 formerly discreet circuits at 2 ohms each.

Yeah, but the REAL question is whether or not Eddie will approve of this
explanation.