Joshua Hambrick

Default Steering Wheele Controls

I was considering buying a new head unit for my '01 Honda Accord, and I was
hoping to still use steering wheel volume controls. I was wondering if
anyone knew of a head unit that could still use these controls.

Tony Fernandes

I don't know of any HU that does this. However, there is an adapter that
allows most aftermarket HUs to utilize the steering wheel controls.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...7SWIX&g=118900

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or,

"Joshua Hambrick" wrote in message
I was considering buying a new head unit for my '01 Honda Accord, and I

was
hoping to still use steering wheel volume controls. I was wondering if
anyone knew of a head unit that could still use these controls.

Mike O'Malley

"Joshua Hambrick" wrote in message
I was considering buying a new head unit for my '01 Honda Accord, and I was
hoping to still use steering wheel volume controls. I was wondering if
anyone knew of a head unit that could still use these controls.

Don't know of a head unit, but Pacific Accessory Corp makes a control interface
that you splice into your vehical's existing wiring. It interpits the
steeringwheel controls and sends them to the head unit via IR transmitter, like
the remote.

Your new head unit needs to have an IR remote for this to work, however. It's
called the SWI-X, I just installed it in my car, and it works pretty well.
Installation took a little longer, as I had trouble finding the correct wire to
splice into, then had to find a place to mount the IR transmitter. Took about 3
hours, the device costs about $60. You can find it on buy.com, crutchfield, and
a few other places.

Hope this helps,
--
Mike O'Malley

Joshua Hambrick

Thanks for the info.

You guys wouldn't happen to know how these controls work, would you? Are
they typically dry contacts that initiate a command upon a close / open, or
are they digital in nature?

Thanks,

Josh

"Mike O'Malley" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Josh,

Basically it is a learning remote. You have to install an IR transmitter
somehwere in the car where it can reach your HU. The device hooks directly
up to the wires that come from the steering wheel controls. Then you use
your HU remote to "teach" it...similar to buying a learning remote and
programming it for the first time.

Tony