jshDude

Default Amp Recommendations

Hey,

I just purchased a returned/untested 12" 450W 4-ohm Pioneer sub from
ebay. It was only $11, because it had been returned and untested, so I
figured, what they hell... it's only $11.

Anyways, I'm looking for an amp for it. I'm probably just going to get
a monoblock, since I'm only powering the sub, but I still am kinda
confused about ohms and wattages, etc.

A friend of mine once told me that it is better to get an amp with
high wattage, and turn it down, than to get a lower wattage amp and
use it to the max. I think the former allows for cleaner sound.

In any case, I'm looking for an amp for this sub. Should I get an amp
with higher than 450W rating, and just turn it down, or right at 400W?
What about ohms? This whole ohms things has me very confused.

Any advice/comments would be very appreciated. TIA.

--
jshdude
sanitarium

I agree with your friend.

Some questions:

Is the sub rated at 450W rms or is it 450W max?
If thats an RMS wattage spec, then a 500W amp will do nicely. If you go
higher, make sure to go easy on the vol knob. If that is 450W max, then go
with around 300W rms amp.

Watch out for amp specs, disregard the max wattage spec its useless unless.
An amp running at max wattage level will destroy the sub voice coil with a
clipped signal. Select an amp based on its RMS rating. Read test reviews
wherever possible, many times even RMS wattage specs are exagerated.

I have a pair of crunch V-600s running bridged @ 2 ohms. manufacturer spec
at is 1kw, but they really only do about 850.

Garrett

"jshDude" wrote in message
om...
[...]

jshDude

"sanitarium" wrote in message news:1067470971.509550@sj-nntpcache-3...
I agree with your friend.

Some questions:

Is the sub rated at 450W rms or is it 450W max?
If thats an RMS wattage spec, then a 500W amp will do nicely. If you go
higher, make sure to go easy on the vol knob. If that is 450W max, then go
with around 300W rms amp.

Watch out for amp specs, disregard the max wattage spec its useless unless.
An amp running at max wattage level will destroy the sub voice coil with a
clipped signal. Select an amp based on its RMS rating. Read test reviews
wherever possible, many times even RMS wattage specs are exagerated.

I have a pair of crunch V-600s running bridged @ 2 ohms. manufacturer spec
at is 1kw, but they really only do about 850.

Garrett

The sub says IMPP 450W max.

After talking to some friends at work, and reading your advice, I'm
thinking about getting a 300W rms 2-channel bridgable amp. Maybe a
Lightning Audio, or MTX. Something cheap, since I'm not looking to put
alot of money in this truck, so I can pay it off quick and get what I
really want... a 2001 Ford Lightning! Woohoo! )

I heard that bridging a 2-channel amp is probably better than buying a
monoblock amp, and that 300W rms is more than plenty for the "little
bit of oomph" I'm looking for to compliment current system.

Thanks for the advice!

--
jshdude
Daniel Snooks

jshDude wrote
The sub says IMPP 450W max.

IMPP ratings are a complete waste of time (and the ink used to print them)

After talking to some friends at work, and reading your advice, I'm
thinking about getting a 300W rms 2-channel bridgable amp. Maybe a
Lightning Audio, or MTX. Something cheap, since I'm not looking to put
alot of money in this truck, so I can pay it off quick and get what I
really want... a 2001 Ford Lightning! Woohoo! )

Good plan, I am sure you will be happy with either of those.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

KaeZoo

"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
.. .
jshDude wrote
The sub says IMPP 450W max.

IMPP ratings are a complete waste of time (and the ink used to print them)

I think on a Pioneer sub, IMPP stands for "Injection Molded PolyPropolene"
(or whatever the correct spelling is).

It's the "max" that makes the power rating a waste of time.

sanitarium

Kool I like cheap systems. Thats a great price LOL!!

Some budget amps that have surprised me:
Profile california series. I have the big 1200 and it has been very
reliable. retired it and will soon auction it on ebay.

Crunch V drive V-### series, the older 1 ohm stable models from
2001-2002. I have been plesantly surprised by my pair of V-600 and my
V-150. Can get either of these for $20-$90 on ebay. IMHO a bridged
V-200 will serve you well.

Pics... just copy paste URLs if the links dont work.
V-600
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_70_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_63_full.jpg
V-150
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_62_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...68_61_full.jpg

Dont confuse them with the DS-XXX line or V-XXX** (EX V-300DS).
http://arawndark.netfirms.com/DS-4002/index.htm
These are crap and have a history of overheating.

Later,
Garrett

jshDude wrote:
[...]

Daniel Snooks

KaeZoo wrote
I think on a Pioneer sub, IMPP stands for "Injection Molded PolyPropolene"
(or whatever the correct spelling is).

It's the "max" that makes the power rating a waste of time.

Heh ... I missed the Pioneer part of that equation, but IIRC some cheap
computer speakers come rated at 800W (can't recall if IMPP is the correct
acronym)

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

cujo613

I would get something around 200 watt monoblock to push it

--
cujo613