soinie

Default Stacking Speakers

If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?
Thanks.

John A. Weeks III

In article , soinie
wrote:

If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?

I would most likely set them side by side. You want the woofers
near the floor, and the mids & tweeters at eye level.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Mark Tranchant

soinie wrote:
If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?

Vertically would be the less disadvantageous arrangement of the two you
suggest. Selling one pair would probably be the best solution; or
selling both and getting a single pair designed to accommodate your
requirements.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
Leonard

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 04:16:42 +0000, soinie wrote:

If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?
Thanks.

Soinie..

Stacking them vertically might well give you the
better setup. About a "hundred" years ago a dealer and
I in Savannah Ga. stacked a pair of KLH 6 speakers and
were impressed with the setup..a manufacturer's rep came
through and was also impressed with the sound and he
traveled on to Atlanta and mentioned it to a store in
Atlanta. Then, lo and behold one of the underground rags
wrote an article on it and this became all the rage. This,
all "many moons ago".

Having setup a number of speakers in this vertical stack
manner, including the small dynaco 10 speakers. We stacked
some ole AR-3 and AR-2 speakers and numerous others. The
sound front was notable better on all these speaker systems.
Needless to say, the low end on these setups was impressive.
There was a solidity to the sound on this setup.

So, give it try..However, the vertical stack will probably give
you the best audio presentation.

Leonard...

It is impossible to say. The most likely thing to happen is interference
causing frequency irregularities based on distance between the various
drivers. This happens with all multiple driver systems and the designer
can take this into account to minimize the problem. When doing as you
suggest the outcome is unpredictable. Not only are verticle and side by
side variables, but should woofers or tweets be closest to each other,ie.
one box upside down? Try it and see if you like the effect.

If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?
Thanks.

Kalman Rubinson

On 16 Nov 2004 04:16:42 GMT, soinie wrote:

If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?
Thanks.

Vertically, tweeter-to-tweeter, if you have to.

Kal
soinie

On 17 Nov 2004 00:45:01 GMT, Kalman Rubinson wrote:

On 16 Nov 2004 04:16:42 GMT, soinie wrote:

If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?
Thanks.

Vertically, tweeter-to-tweeter, if you have to.

Kal

Thank you all for the consideration.
Tony Pike

I stacked 2 pairs of Radford Studio 90 Loadspeakers with great success. Try
to keep the speakers close in sets -- The tweeters outside and close, the
midrange inside and close, by stacking them assymetrical, the upper ones
upside down if need be.
"soinie" wrote in message
On 17 Nov 2004 00:45:01 GMT, Kalman Rubinson wrote:

On 16 Nov 2004 04:16:42 GMT, soinie wrote:

If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?
Thanks.

Vertically, tweeter-to-tweeter, if you have to.

Kal

Thank you all for the consideration.

Gene Poon

soinie wrote:

If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?
Thanks.

There was once a sort-of-fad, stacking Realistic Minimus-7 mini-speakers
vertically, the top one inverted so the tweeters were together in a kind
of imitative D'Appolito configuration.

Problem was, no matter what you did, the Minimus-7 could not play bass.
The stacked Minimus threw a good stereo image, though...better,
palpably so to me, than many a highly regarded bookshelf speaker of the
time.

-GP
Nousaine

Gene Poon wrote:

soinie wrote:

If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?
Thanks.

There was once a sort-of-fad, stacking Realistic Minimus-7 mini-speakers
vertically, the top one inverted so the tweeters were together in a kind
of imitative D'Appolito configuration.

Problem was, no matter what you did, the Minimus-7 could not play bass.
The stacked Minimus threw a good stereo image, though...better,
palpably so to me, than many a highly regarded bookshelf speaker of the
time.

-GP

Ah Yes; the famous or was that infamous Mighty Mouse 7. It was the first
palm-hand speaker that really worked well and was infamously inexpensive. It
was rhe kind of speaker with the metal case that could be trucked around and
used nearly anywhere. What the world needs today is molded case Boston
Acoustics 2-way patio speaker that costs $50 like the Mighty Mouse 7 (which was
always on-sale near Christmas.)

When it disappeared itwas soon replaced by the larger, more expensive , but
still cheap models from PSB, Paradigm, Polk and Boston Acoustics.

One thing about the Minimus 7 was that it was probably produced OEM by
different suppliers over time but I've never heard any analysis that the
speaker varied in sound quality. If anybody has more detail on the production
of the Minimus 7 I'd love to hear it.
Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Gene Poon wrote:

soinie wrote:

[...]

It was originally and for a long time, at least, produced by Goodman's of
England. Whether they changed suppliers near the end I don't know...my
impression is they did not...RS instead dropped the model and brought out
slightly different variations with different drivers.

I owned a pair and in 1989 teamed them up with a little 25wpc Sherwood
receiver with marvelous sound quality...gave it to my sister as a system
when she set up housekeeping on her own in Boston a few years ago. It was a
terrific "bedroom" system which also doubled as the sound system for my
computer up until that time.
Robert C. Lang

soinie wrote in message ...
If one had two pair of identical speakers and wanted to use both
simultaneously as fronts would it be more advantageous to stack them
vertically or horizontally if both arrangements were possible?
Thanks.

My speakers are specifically designed for vertical stacking, tweeter
to tweeter. The monitors are used with stereo bass modules. Advantage:
Increased soundstage and more dynamic range than if only using two
speakers. Disadvantage:the pyramid shaped monitors, which are inverted
one on top of the other can be toppled if bumped fairly hard or if you
are in earthquake country (which I am-San Francisco Bay Area). A
definite consideration if you have small children or pets. There are
*possibly* other disadvantages, such as perhaps, the cabinets
interacting with each other, especially if the design does not factor
that in, or possible negative interaction with the ceiling if the
stack is fairly tall. In my case the advantages, to me, clearly out
weigh the disadvantages.

Robert C. Lang
Nousaine

Thanks for that update. As I mentioned I had no knowledge of how the supply
chain was handled.It just seemed that given the price and availability it was
likely that multiple suppliers and heavy competitive bidding may have been part
of the system.

Goodman's were making one heck of a lot of those guys over the years then. That
would be reason for excellent QC back in those days when some manufacturers
seemed to have difficulty making the same speaker twice in a row.

"Harry Lavo" wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message
Gene Poon