Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

Default New Yamaha receivers (1500-2500)

I noticed yesterday that Yamaha has new models, the RX-V1500 and
the RX-V2500. Obviously these replace the previous RX-V1400 and
the RX-V2400.

http://yamaha-hifi.de/products.php?l...vset=&newsset=
http://yamaha-hifi.de/products.php?l...vset=&newsset=

Manuals:
http://www.yamaha-service.de/service...500/v1500E.pdf
http://www.yamaha-service.de/service...00/V2500UK.pdf

I found them in a online shop: http://www.technikdirekt.de/
Search for 698437 for the Yamaha RX-V 1500 (Black) 879 euros
Search for 698430 for the Yamaha RX-V 1500 (titan) 879 euros
Search for 698444 for the Yamaha RX-V 2500 (titan) 1079 euros

I think direct URLs to the pages don't work because they put a
session-id (which expires) in them. BTW, being listed on that
shop doesn't mean they are available immediately.

About its features and specs I haven't checked them carefully,
but they seem to not difer much from the RX-V650 and RX-V750.
In particular, the two main differences between the RX-V750 and
the top-of-the-line RX-Z9 / DSP-Z9, the i.LINK connector and the
9 channel amplifier * are still lacking.

* The RX-V650, RX-V750, RX-V1500 and RX-V2500 have 9 speakers
connectors, but "only" 7 channels. Using the "presence" speakers
turn off the "back surround" ones.

I was expecting/hoping for i.LINK since the equivalent (at least
in price) Pioneer receiver already has it:

Pioneer VSX-2014i 1099 Euro (list price ? 842,00 in some shops )
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...onomy_id=62-98
http://www.hifi-regler.de/shop/pione...lber-print.php
https://shop-4you.de/shop/detail2.as...er+VSX-2014i-S

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Power Cat

I too have been looking at rhe Yamaha specs on the Yamaha web site.
The manuals are all there in Acrobat format. I see VERY little
difference in these models all the way down to the RX-V650 which can
be purchased online on average for US$350. The next level up seems to
be US$600. I am at a loss to understand why I should spend more. Yes
i.Link would be nice but could someone help me out and tell me what
spending additional $$$ will do?

I'd rather spend it on speakers. That's tangential -- what about the
receivers? All the manufacturers seem to have very similar products
in the US$600 to US$2000 range.

Thanks and best wishes for your assistance.
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

Power Cat wrote:
I too have been looking at rhe Yamaha specs on the Yamaha web site.
The manuals are all there in Acrobat format. I see VERY little
difference in these models all the way down to the RX-V650 which can

The RX-V750 is a RX-V650 with a phono input and a better remote control.
You probably don't need the phono input, but the remote control is
important. These remotes are able to control several devices, but
the ones that don't have the LCD dont show which one is currently
being controlled. Also, IIRC, the remote on the RX-V750 can learn
from other remotes (lower/older models have only pre-programmed codes).

The RX-V1500 probably doesn't add many features. A bit more power,
a little less distorsion, maybe (??) some more inputs or surround
programmes). The RX-V2500 has one very convenient feature, a separate
rec-out (so you can record something and listen to another), but
for the price...

be purchased online on average for US$350. The next level up seems to
be US$600. I am at a loss to understand why I should spend more. Yes
i.Link would be nice but could someone help me out and tell me what
spending additional $$$ will do?

The expression "diminishing returns" springs to mind.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Power Cat

The RX-V750 is a RX-V650 with a phono input and a better remote control.
You probably don't need the phono input, but the remote control is
important.

The RX-V1500 probably doesn't add many features. A bit more power,
a little less distorsion, maybe (??) some more inputs or surround
programmes)

I am curious about readers' experience with Yamaha receivers.
Especially in terms of being able to handle 5.1 or more and also
handle audio in other rooms.