Christos Christoforou

Default Does anyone make a car radio with a line in jack in the front?

I want to be able to use an apple ipod and use the car radio as an amplifier.

I know there is some sort of a tape one can buy for about $20 at the Walmart,
but I was wondering if anyone makes a radio with a little connector... It seems
that the quality would be better if there were a line in jack.

thanks
christos
corrlens

"Christos Christoforou" wrote in message
m...
I want to be able to use an apple ipod and use the car radio as an

amplifier.

I know there is some sort of a tape one can buy for about $20 at the

Walmart,
but I was wondering if anyone makes a radio with a little connector... It

seems
that the quality would be better if there were a line in jack.

thanks
christos

Ipod sells a FM transmitter, just put it on your ipod and set your FM dial
to 97.3 or whatever signal you setup. (Go wireless).

KaeZoo

"Christos Christoforou" wrote in message
m...
I want to be able to use an apple ipod and use the car radio as an

amplifier.

I know there is some sort of a tape one can buy for about $20 at the

Walmart,
but I was wondering if anyone makes a radio with a little connector... It

seems
that the quality would be better if there were a line in jack.

thanks
christos

There are several models out with front inputs, and many more with rear
inputs (or that are able to be upgraded to rear inputs with optional
accessories). You might want to consider a rear-input model because when
you install it, you can run a cable from the back of the head unit to
wherever you want to keep your Ipod. A little more work during
installation, but more convenient than a front-panel input when you're using
it.

corrlens

"corrlens" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Christos Christoforou" wrote in message
m...
I want to be able to use an apple ipod and use the car radio as an

amplifier.

I know there is some sort of a tape one can buy for about $20 at the

Walmart,
but I was wondering if anyone makes a radio with a little connector...

It
seems
that the quality would be better if there were a line in jack.

thanks
christos

Ipod sells a FM transmitter, just put it on your ipod and set your FM dial
to 97.3 or whatever signal you setup. (Go wireless).

and it's only $22 bucks check it out at :

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...ail,pwbfroogle

Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

but I was wondering if anyone makes a radio with a little connector... It
seems
that the quality would be better if there were a line in jack.

Sanyo ECDT1535

CD Receiver with front panel line in
www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php

Scott Gardner

I have an iPod as well, and use it with my JVC KD-SH77, which has a
front-panel line-in. It works great, and I think the higher-end
KD-SH99 has a front-panel input as well. I don't think either unit is
still in production, but if you can find one either used or from a
retailer that sells discontinued models, I think they're great units.

I think a line-in is the way to go, as opposed to a wireless FM
transmitter, or even a hard-wired FM modulator. I have the Belkin
iTrip FM transmitter on my wife's iPod, and it works well, but you can
tell the difference between using it and having a wired connection to
an AUX input.

Since it sounds like you're willing to buy a new head unit, if you
can't find one with a front-panel aux input, there are a lot of them
that have a CD changer rear input that can be easily converted to an
AUX input.

Scott Gardner

On 11 May 2004 08:28:00 -0700, (Christos
Christoforou) wrote:

I want to be able to use an apple ipod and use the car radio as an amplifier.

I know there is some sort of a tape one can buy for about $20 at the Walmart,
but I was wondering if anyone makes a radio with a little connector... It seems
that the quality would be better if there were a line in jack.

thanks
christos

Christos Christoforou

Scott Gardner wrote in message . ..

Since it sounds like you're willing to buy a new head unit, if you
can't find one with a front-panel aux input, there are a lot of them
that have a CD changer rear input that can be easily converted to an
AUX input.

Scott Gardner

Scott

(et al.)

thanks for the advise.
As it happens, what I have now in my car (a Nissan Sentra E with 185,000
miles on it!) is an Alpine TDA 7563, which is a cassette receiver but is
able to control a CD changer.

At the back of the unit there is what Alpine calls an AI-net plug, but
according to them, my unit can not be used with a converter (AI-net to RCA)
that they sell. Just can't, they said.

A bit later in the day I called Alpine again, and this time a (different?)
guy said that "if the harness has a pink or black cable, then I should ground
that, and then the adapter would work."

Does any of this make any sense to you guys?

Is there a third party product that can do this?

Yes, buying a brand new unit is not alltogether out of the question for me,
especially since I only really need a radio (and there are three stations
where I live to which I listen), and all music I own is on my portable HD
player, so a line in is all I really want.

AIWA makes some relatively cheap units with front AUX input (which to me is
a plus, since I will have the HD player just lying on the seat next to me);
is there anything approaching a consensus about their quality?

thanks
christos
FHLH002

who doesn't now days? what I think is better is the aux input in the back...
you could run a wire into the glovebox from behind the dash.... throw your
overpriced, non repairable ipod in the there and everything is hidden. no
messy wires hangin around.

FHLH....... fwiw,my old kd sh99 had one, worked well.

"Christos Christoforou" wrote in message
m...
I want to be able to use an apple ipod and use the car radio as an

amplifier.

I know there is some sort of a tape one can buy for about $20 at the

Walmart,
but I was wondering if anyone makes a radio with a little connector... It

seems
that the quality would be better if there were a line in jack.

thanks
christos

Scott Gardner

On Thu, 13 May 2004 17:10:39 GMT, "FHLH002"
wrote:

who doesn't now days? what I think is better is the aux input in the back...
you could run a wire into the glovebox from behind the dash.... throw your
overpriced, non repairable ipod in the there and everything is hidden. no
messy wires hangin around.

FHLH....... fwiw,my old kd sh99 had one, worked well.

Kind of hard to take your "overpriced" claim seriously when Apple has
sold over three million of them. In September of 2001, Apple didn't
even make an MP3 player, and now they have over 50% of the market
share for digital music players. Not just hard-drive based players,
but ALL digital music players. Even at $250 for "only" 4 gigs,
there's a weeks-long backorder on the new iPod Mini because so many
people think they're worth the money. Actually, a lot of people have
been buying Minis, and stripping the "hard drive" out of them to use
in digital cameras and camcorders, because the cost of an iPod Mini is
actually less than what it would cost a consumer just to buy the 4 Gb
microdrive that's in it.

I have two iPods - a 2nd-generation 20 Gb, and a 3rd-generation 40 Gb.
If you want a hard-drive based music player, the iPod/iTunes
combination really doesn't have any serious competition yet. Now that
I have the second iPod, I'm going to eBay my Creative Labs Nomad
Jukebox 20 GB player, and I'll probably be lucky to get $75 for it.
It was an okay player, but it takes forever to scroll through songs,
the only library/playlist software that really supports it is
MusicMatch Jukebox, and once you have more than a few thousand songs
on it, it takes several MINUTES for it to boot up when you turn it on.

It's hard to claim the iPod is "overpriced" when there's really
nothing else even in the same class. Read the reviews for Dell's new
"iPod killer", and you'll find out it's more like a beta hardware-test
than a finished product.

Scott Gardner
imroberts

Back to the original topic... I'm looking for a head unit with a
EXTERNAL line input..
--
imrobert
imroberts's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/member.php?userid=2832

Scott Gardner

I think the original question has pretty much been answered. Decide
if you want the external input to be a 1/8" phono jack on the front,
RCA jacks on the rear, or use an adapter to convert a CD changer input
into a pair of RCA inputs. Whichever method you choose, you'll have a
variety of head units to choose from.

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:27:17 GMT, imroberts
wrote:

Back to the original topic... I'm looking for a head unit with an
EXTERNAL line input...