Andy

Default Bose sound system

Does anyone know a patent no. or other technical information
explaining how this sound system works? I mean the system
with the little cube speakers where you can't tell where the
sound is coming from.

Just curious,
Andy
Anon-E-Moose

Andy wrote in :

Does anyone know a patent no. or other technical information
explaining how this sound system works? I mean the system
with the little cube speakers where you can't tell where the
sound is coming from.

Probably nothing special. Bose speakers are not known for their
innovation... actually most audiophiles think Bose speakers are crap - but
do agree Bose has great marketing...

You probably don't know where the sound is coming from because the Bose
cubes are tiny and there were multiple cubes placed in the listen room.
This is how a surround sound system sound work. If you're interested in
truly dispersed sounding speakers... you should take a look at Mirage's
OmniPolar speakers.

Trevor Wilson

"Andy" wrote in message
Does anyone know a patent no. or other technical information explaining
how this sound system works? I mean the system with the little cube
speakers where you can't tell where the sound is coming from.

**Points:

* The system Bose adopted was around for decades before Bose 'discovered'
it. (I very much doubt that a patent would be awarded to such a system which
is public domain)
* The Bose system is inferior to almost every other similar system.
* You can tell EXACTLY where the sound is coming from, with a Bose system.
The crossover points (particularly the bass module) are so poorly chosen
that this is a simple feat.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Kevin McMurtrie

In article , Andy
wrote:

Does anyone know a patent no. or other technical information
explaining how this sound system works? I mean the system
with the little cube speakers where you can't tell where the
sound is coming from.

Just curious,
Andy

They probably mess with the phase of the left and right channels. Bose
uses extremely low grade building materials then compensates for some of
that using custom filters in the electronics.

There's old trick that was often called "Stereo Wide" on boomboxes of
the 80s. It's essentially crossed negative feedback between the two
channels with various filters varying the amount and phase by frequency.
Tuning it to sound good is tricky but once you've got that, it costs not
even $1 in electronic parts. At best is sounds good, at worst it causes
headaches.

Stereo Wide can be implemented in passive components too! The simplest
case looks like:

Amp Left ----------------------
Speaker Left
Amp GND ----+--+---+---+ +---
| | | | |
| R C L |
| | | | |
Amp GND ----+ +---+---+---+---
Speaker Right
Amp Right ----------------------

L passes through 200 Hz
C passes through 8 KHz
R controls mono pass-through
Andy

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
They probably mess with the phase of the left and right channels.

I suspected something like that. Also you can use some R-L
to eliminate the 'middle bits'. There should be a patent
detailing exactly what they did to optimize the effect, like
for instance US patent 5,105,462 does for QSound...

Andy

Why shouldn't someone buy Bose? Stephen McLuckie High End Audio 59 April 20th 04 03:01 AM
audio coax cable JYC High End Audio 239 January 18th 04 08:12 PM
Sound, and Sound Ideas CDs TEL Pro Audio 2 December 9th 03 02:31 AM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM
Suggestions for new/replacement Rink sound system Robert Bell Pro Audio 6 September 2nd 03 02:11 AM