Bob

Default Home audio mp3 jukebox player

I have spent a lot of time ripping CDs to get 10K+ songs in MP3 format
and would like to be able to play them through my home audio system.
I put the music library on a NAS server that provides SMB protocol so
that my wife and I could both have access to the library from
different parts of the house without having to leave a full PC running
at all times (I am using the NSLU2 from Linksys as the file server).
Unfortunately, this means that I cannot install server software where
the MP3 files reside. I could set up a PC that maps the NAS as a
share and install server software on it, but that defeats the purpose
of having a cool, quiet storage solution.

So, my question is: Does anyone know of any DAR that does not require
server software other than the AudioTron from Turtle Beach?

While everything I read about the AudioTron is very positive and I've
always respected Trutle Beach's attention to digital audio quality, I
would liek to know if there are any alternatives, I find it hard to
believe that no one else makes a Windows CE or Linux with Samba DAR
that allows you to access MP3 files without server software.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Matthew Weigel

(Bob) wrote:

I have spent a lot of time ripping CDs to get 10K+ songs in MP3 format
and would like to be able to play them through my home audio system.
I put the music library on a NAS server that provides SMB protocol so
that my wife and I could both have access to the library from
different parts of the house without having to leave a full PC running
at all times (I am using the NSLU2 from Linksys as the file server).
Unfortunately, this means that I cannot install server software where
the MP3 files reside. I could set up a PC that maps the NAS as a
share and install server software on it, but that defeats the purpose
of having a cool, quiet storage solution.

So, my question is: Does anyone know of any DAR that does not require
server software other than the AudioTron from Turtle Beach?

To be more clear, you're asking for something that works with the server
you already have rather than 'none at all.'

This is a significant distinction, because in fact the NSLU2 runs Linux,
and people have been pretty successful hacking it. A quick perusal
suggests just the Apple AirPort Express and Squeezebox (and the
Squeezebox looks iffy right now
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sslite/), but it's a start.

Alternatively, you could give up on the NSLU2 and take a look at the
Onkyo/Integra NAS-2.3, but that might not make you happy either.

While everything I read about the AudioTron

Currently I'm using a TiVo and setting up JavaHMO
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net... but I seriously doubt that will run
on the NSLU2.

--
Matthew Weigel
the email address is real
Matthew Weigel

Matthew Weigel wrote:

While everything I read about the AudioTron

Currently I'm using a TiVo and setting up JavaHMO
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net... but I seriously doubt that will run
on the NSLU2.

Ummmm... meant to say:

Currently.... but I've heard a lot of good things about the AudioTron
too. It's probably one of the most successful products in the sphere,
judging by how long it's managed to stick around.

--
Matthew Weigel
the email address is real
the contents of the post are not
Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.tech Matthew Weigel wrote:
In article ,
Matthew Weigel wrote:

While everything I read about the AudioTron

Currently I'm using a TiVo and setting up JavaHMO
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net... but I seriously doubt that will run
on the NSLU2.

Ummmm... meant to say:

Currently.... but I've heard a lot of good things about the AudioTron
too. It's probably one of the most successful products in the sphere,
judging by how long it's managed to stick around.

Has it stuck around? Last I heard it was no longer being
manufactured.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

Matthew Weigel

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Has it stuck around? Last I heard it was no longer being
manufactured.

Hadn't heard that... can't say.

--
Matthew Weigel
the email address is real
the contents of the post are not

Bob

Matthew Weigel wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Bob) wrote:

I have spent a lot of time ripping CDs to get 10K+ songs in MP3 format
and would like to be able to play them through my home audio system.

To be more clear, you're asking for something that works with the server
you already have rather than 'none at all.'

That was the direction I was heading since I'd like to share the
library rather than replicate it, but I'm open to suggestions.

This is a significant distinction, because in fact the NSLU2 runs Linux,
and people have been pretty successful hacking it. A quick perusal
suggests just the Apple AirPort Express and Squeezebox (and the
Squeezebox looks iffy right now
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sslite/), but it's a start.

Very cool, although it looks a little too early to be promising...

Alternatively, you could give up on the NSLU2 and take a look at the
Onkyo/Integra NAS-2.3, but that might not make you happy either.

Looks like it would make me happy, but I'm not sure I can justify the
expense.

While everything I read about the AudioTron

Currently I'm using a TiVo and setting up JavaHMO
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net... but I seriously doubt that will run
on the NSLU2.

Hmmm...I had wanted to avoid another computer, but maybe a good sound
card with an optical out in one of my old computers with a minimal
Linux configuration and the JavaHMO would be the best option for
convenience, sound quality and price performance. I can mount the
music library rather than replicate it.

I'll probably try out the JavaHMO this weekend since I have what I
need right here to get started and will let me listen to my MP3s
soonest.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really appreciate your input.
Steve Maki

Matthew Weigel wrote:

While everything I read about the AudioTron

Currently I'm using a TiVo and setting up JavaHMO
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net... but I seriously doubt that will run
on the NSLU2.

Ummmm... meant to say:

Currently.... but I've heard a lot of good things about the AudioTron
too. It's probably one of the most successful products in the sphere,
judging by how long it's managed to stick around.

Has it stuck around? Last I heard it was no longer being
manufactured.

I've had one on order for months, but there's no ETA in sight.

My Squeezebox works fine, but decided that the Audiotron
approach would be better suited for a multi player setup.

Steve Maki
Bob

(Bob) wrote:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sslite/),

Very cool, although it looks a little too early to be promising...

There is, it looks like, much better support for handling an Apple
AirPort Express...

Hmmm...I had wanted to avoid another computer, but..

Sorry, the way JavaHMO works is that it exports your music library to a
Series 2 TiVo with a LAN adapter (ethernet or wireless). It doesn't
play itself.

Found that out the hard way :-). Probably should have really read the
docs before downloading everything. I think broadband has made me
lazy. OTOH, after realizing that JavaHMO wouldn't work for me I
started looking around for similar products, I found Freevo:
http://freevo.sourceforge.net/ which looks like it has potential for
me.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really appreciate your input.

This is an area a lot of people are investigating right now :-)

More than I realized. I hadn't really considered an HTPC as the last
time I looked the capabilities and usefulness was pretty dismal for
the cost. Admittedly, I hadn't looked to see what was happening for a
couple of years.

If the software comes through, I've already scoped out the case, power
supply and audio video cards. Since I've got drives, boards and
processors sitting around, at the end of the day, building another PC
with good A/V cards isn't going to run more than TiVo and an AudioTron
and it will be a lot easier to upgrade.

Thank you.
Steven Sullivan

Matthew Weigel wrote:

While everything I read about the AudioTron

Currently I'm using a TiVo and setting up JavaHMO
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net... but I seriously doubt that will run
on the NSLU2.

Ummmm... meant to say:

Currently.... but I've heard a lot of good things about the AudioTron
too. It's probably one of the most successful products in the sphere,
judging by how long it's managed to stick around.

Has it stuck around? Last I heard it was no longer being
manufactured.

I've had one on order for months, but there's no ETA in sight.

My Squeezebox works fine, but decided that the Audiotron
approach would be better suited for a multi player setup.

At least one AVSforum member reports being told by Turtle Beach
that the product is no longer being manufactured. Note too that
there's no pricing for the product on the TB website.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=423828

It'd be a no-go for me in any case, since it doesn't support lossless formats.

For awhile TB was touting a 'Mediatron' as a successor, but that seems
to have been cancelled too.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

Lucas Tam

Steven Sullivan wrote in
:

It'd be a no-go for me in any case, since it doesn't support lossless
formats.

It supports PCM.

--
Lucas Tam )
jw

Try www.rokulabs.com
They have a box, the HD1000 that is primarily for images, but does movies
and audio too. Only needs to see an available share. They also have
something called the Soundbridge, but I have no personal experience with it.
I don't believe it requires a music server but is compatible with some:
iTunes and Slimserver, at least.

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.tech Lucas Tam wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote in
:

It'd be a no-go for me in any case, since it doesn't support lossless
formats.

It supports PCM.

Oops...I amend it to supports no lossless *data compression* formats.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

Lucas Tam

Steven Sullivan wrote in news:cl2233$2qn$4
@reader1.panix.com:

It'd be a no-go for me in any case, since it doesn't support lossless
formats.

It supports PCM.

Oops...I amend it to supports no lossless *data compression* formats.

While Turtle Beach doesn't support lossless formats directly... if you run
Linux, you can download a piece of software for the Audiotron which
converts lossless formats into MP3 on the fly:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/1145008.asp

I believe this sort of 'on the fly' conversion is used by other media
players such as Pinnacle's Media Center to playback unsupported formats.

It's too bad the Turtle Beach didn't build this feature directly into the
Audiotron or the AudioTron server software.
--
Lucas Tam )
Steven Sullivan

Lucas Tam wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote in news:cl2233$2qn$4
@reader1.panix.com:

It'd be a no-go for me in any case, since it doesn't support lossless
formats.

It supports PCM.

Oops...I amend it to supports no lossless *data compression* formats.

While Turtle Beach doesn't support lossless formats directly... if you run
Linux, you can download a piece of software for the Audiotron which
converts lossless formats into MP3 on the fly:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/1145008.asp

I believe this sort of 'on the fly' conversion is used by other media
players such as Pinnacle's Media Center to playback unsupported formats.

AFAIK, the slimdevices Squeezebox/Slimserver combo doesn't convert FLAC
to mp3 (unless you tell it to).
And personally, I'd rather my media server/software didn't do any conversions
that I haven't specified myself.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

Home audio mp3 jukebox player Bob Audio Opinions 11 October 19th 04 03:49 AM
DVD player audio distortion tk Tech 9 August 17th 04 09:18 AM
Questions on basic wirjing setup Spirit Tech 28 March 31st 04 09:16 PM