Ellison

Default Can I use a SACD player as a DAC for other digital sources?

Hi,
The SACD player I'm looking at has a coax input. Can I plug a digital
audio receiver (DAR) into my SACD to play digital music from my PC
through my analog amp? I don't think I can, but want to make sure
before investing in a seperate DAC for the DAR.

Thanks,
Ellison

Codifus

Ellison wrote:

Hi,
The SACD player I'm looking at has a coax input. Can I plug a digital
audio receiver (DAR) into my SACD to play digital music from my PC
through my analog amp? I don't think I can, but want to make sure
before investing in a seperate DAC for the DAR.

Thanks,
Ellison

Why? Is there something inherently better in an SACD's DA converter? I
though it was just a different format.

CD
Stu-R

I think if you'll check, you'll find that coax connection is an output
from the player for connecton to a receiver or other decoder. I know
of no conventional player that has a coax input to access the player's
D/A converter.

On 12 Oct 2004 07:25:54 -0700, (Ellison)
wrote:

Hi,
The SACD player I'm looking at has a coax input. Can I plug a digital
audio receiver (DAR) into my SACD to play digital music from my PC
through my analog amp? I don't think I can, but want to make sure
before investing in a seperate DAC for the DAR.

Thanks,
Ellison

Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:15:31 GMT, Stu-R wrote:

I think if you'll check, you'll find that coax connection is an output
from the player for connecton to a receiver or other decoder. I know
of no conventional player that has a coax input to access the player's
D/A converter.

There are a few but they are fairly esoteric and expensive.

Kal

wrote:

Hi,
The SACD player I'm looking at has a coax input. Can I plug a digital
audio receiver (DAR) into my SACD to play digital music from my PC
through my analog amp? I don't think I can, but want to make sure
before investing in a seperate DAC for the DAR.

Thanks,
Ellison

Ellison

Why? Is there something inherently better in an SACD's DA converter? I
though it was just a different format.

Not better, I'm just trying to avoid getting an extra component if
it's not necessary. The DAR the above poster recommended, which I have
read outstanding reviews for, cost $925!
Ellison

Again, what is a DAR?

Digital audio receiver -
http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_Medi....html?tag=comp
Kalman Rubinson

On 15 Oct 2004 10:13:18 -0700, (Ellison)
wrote:

Again, what is a DAR?

Digital audio receiver -
http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_Medi....html?tag=comp

Thanks. I had never thought about those gadgets. Their digital
output is undoubtedly S/PDIF, afaik. So, for stereo all you need is a
DAC. I do not believe that your player has a digital input.

Kal