Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Purchasing a good, inexpensive mic

I have a relative who just now discovered the wonders of Voice Chat.
Now she wants to buy a microphone and chat with me. I'm using a cheap
mic I have had for years, I believe I got it for free some time ago.
We are using the Google Talk instant message program, which allows for
voice chat. I want to give her some good examples of what to look for
in a microphone. Again, she's not that young, not computer-savy, and
she will infrequently use it. She doesn't want a professional mic, but
not a crappy one either.

I found this at WalMart:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3626445

Again, I'm not looking for a specific, just general examples. Any
help? Oh, and let me know if I am in the wrong forum...

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

wrote:

I have a relative who just now discovered the wonders of Voice Chat.
Now she wants to buy a microphone and chat with me. I'm using a cheap
mic I have had for years, I believe I got it for free some time ago.
We are using the Google Talk instant message program, which allows for
voice chat. I want to give her some good examples of what to look for
in a microphone. Again, she's not that young, not computer-savy, and
she will infrequently use it. She doesn't want a professional mic, but
not a crappy one either.

I found this at WalMart:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3626445

Again, I'm not looking for a specific, just general examples. Any
help? Oh, and let me know if I am in the wrong forum...

That's the kind of thing you want. I have something similar for that
application.

At this level you won't get 'name brand' products. It's all cheap stuff out
of China mainly. It's adequate for the job.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Pooh Bear
writes

wrote:

[...]

I find using the mike in a Logitech Web cam is excellent if a trifle
expensive. That way you are also ready for video which is now becoming
more prevalent. I use this method with Skype which I feel is much better
that "gobbledly" Google Talk, or whatever its called.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
RapidRonnie

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article ,
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Hammering nails?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

Depends on the computer sound card - some have mic preamps that are suitable
for mics. Case in point would be the rather popular M-Audio 1010LT.

Delta 1010LT inputs for channel 1 and 2 are adjustable in steps to provide
enough gain for dynamic mics, and have the appropriate XLR connectors. No
phantom voltage, though.

As far as the SM57 goes as a mic, it is extremely durable and it does
provide a somewhat recognizable rendition of the human voice. It's got a lot
of proximity effect, and a large presence peak. For the price...

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"MINe 109" wrote in message
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Hammering nails?

Nope, hammer for a while and the capsule falls out. OTOH, that might improve
its SQ.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

MINe 109 wrote:

In article ,
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Hammering nails?

Stephen

Useless for that too. The SM57 has the crappy 'plastic grille'.You need the
SM58 for hammering.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

Depends on the computer sound card - some have mic preamps that are suitable
for mics. Case in point would be the rather popular M-Audio 1010LT.

But *most* sound cards are set up for an unbalanced electret though.

Is that M-Audio really optimal for a low-Z balanced mic ?

Delta 1010LT inputs for channel 1 and 2 are adjustable in steps to provide
enough gain for dynamic mics, and have the appropriate XLR connectors. No
phantom voltage, though.

As far as the SM57 goes as a mic, it is extremely durable

That damn grille isn't !

and it does
provide a somewhat recognizable rendition of the human voice. It's got a lot
of proximity effect, and a large presence peak. For the price...

I'd buy AKG. Or Sennheiser.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Good Lord !

You actually said something that makes sense ! I'm told it's not *that
bad* but I'm not tempted by one.

Well, sometimes I do get a little confused. I took a quick look
at that post and was thinking of a Shure.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Good Lord !

You actually said something that makes sense ! I'm told it's not *that
bad* but I'm not tempted by one.

Well, sometimes I do get a little confused. I took a quick look
at that post and was thinking of a Shure.

Indeed it is a Shure.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

Depends on the computer sound card - some have mic preamps that are
suitable
for mics. Case in point would be the rather popular M-Audio 1010LT.

But *most* sound cards are set up for an unbalanced electret though.

Stick in the magic word "consumer" and you've got a sale! ;-)

Is that M-Audio really optimal for a low-Z balanced mic ?

AFAIK, yes.

Delta 1010LT inputs for channel 1 and 2 are adjustable in steps to
provide
enough gain for dynamic mics, and have the appropriate XLR connectors. No
phantom voltage, though.

As far as the SM57 goes as a mic, it is extremely durable

That damn grille isn't !

Agreed.

They fall apart if you do a lot of hammering with them.

and it does
provide a somewhat recognizable rendition of the human voice. It's got a
lot
of proximity effect, and a large presence peak. For the price...

I'd buy AKG. Or Sennheiser.

I inherited a bunch of them and lived with them for a year or two at church.
I eventually replaced them with CAD mics and later some of those with Audix.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Good Lord !

You actually said something that makes sense ! I'm told it's not *that
bad* but I'm not tempted by one.

Well, sometimes I do get a little confused. I took a quick look
at that post and was thinking of a Shure.

Indeed it is a Shure.

I prefer Audio Technica, within the same price range.
I liked the old Pro4

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

RapidRonnie wrote:

A SM57 is always a fair generic choice. You will need some sort of
interface which can be built or bought.

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Good Lord !

You actually said something that makes sense ! I'm told it's not *that
bad* but I'm not tempted by one.

Well, sometimes I do get a little confused. I took a quick look
at that post and was thinking of a Shure.

Indeed it is a Shure.

I prefer Audio Technica, within the same price range.
I liked the old Pro4

I'm not especially familiar with the AT range but those I've come across seem
decent enough. Better than an average Shure for sure ! ;-)

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:46:30 -0500, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

As far as the SM57 goes as a mic, it is extremely durable and it does
provide a somewhat recognizable rendition of the human voice. It's got a lot
of proximity effect, and a large presence peak. For the price...

....you can buy SEVEN of them. As you did.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:47:45 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote about the Shure SM57:

I inherited a bunch of them and lived with them for a year or two at church.

Funny how the story changes since he bragged about buying "a number of
them" on ebay for $90 each (well, he DID get some stands and cables
with them), so he didn't get QUITE as screwed as it sounds).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"Clyde Slick" said:

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Actually, no.
After you're finished hammering the nails in the stage floor, you can
put it on a mic stand and sing through it.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
"Clyde Slick" said:

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Actually, no.
After you're finished hammering the nails in the stage floor, you can
put it on a mic stand and sing through it.

Not usually. As Graham pointed out, the plastic cap would have fallen off by
then, and the cartridge after it.

Obviously, you don't know the difference between a SM57 and a SM58. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

An SM57 is a lousy choice to connect to a computer sound card !

It's a lousy choice for anything.

Actually, no.
After you're finished hammering the nails in the stage floor, you can
put it on a mic stand and sing through it.

Not usually. As Graham pointed out, the plastic cap would have fallen off by
then, and the cartridge after it.

Obviously, you don't know the difference between a SM57 and a SM58. ;-)

Ah, I mixed them up.
The last time I used any Shure mic must be 20 years ago.
After I discovered the AKG414 and relatives, I never looked back.