Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Vinyl to CD on a PC

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Here in Ohio" wrote in message

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 07:59:03 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

snip
.

I know that Scott bit hard for the tubes and vinyl uber
alles hype, but I don't know if he believes in magic
wire.

Why can't you two guys just accept the fact that many,
many audiophiles believe tube gear sounds more
dimensional and musical than solid-state; and that vinyl
can sound more life-like than CD.

I can believe that quite easily. I also can believe that some people believe
that charging cell phones inside pyramids makes their batteries last longer
when they take them out to use.

That is their judgement, their choice, and their pleasure. It is no
skin off your back.

It's a study in human nature. I read Totem and Taboo at a very early age.

You remind me of neighborhood busybodies cluck-clucking
over the naughty goings-on in the neighborhood. Get a
life!

Scott is quite a case - I still get a chuckle out of the time he sued me in
California Superior Court and bragged about it. Then they threw his mangy
self right out of there, and kept his money.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Here in Ohio" wrote in message

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 07:59:03 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

snip
.

[...]

This is apropos of what??

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

news

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Here in Ohio" wrote in message

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 07:59:03 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

snip
.

[...]

A study of human nature, Harry. The topic was introduced above, see it?
Something you might start paying attention to, someday.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Harry Lavo wrote:
Why can't you two guys just accept the fact that many, many audiophiles
believe tube gear sounds more dimensional and musical than solid-state;
and that vinyl can sound more life-like than CD. That is their
judgement, their choice, and their pleasure. It is no skin off your
back.

Indeed it's not. But unfortunately to most it seems to be their mission in
life to convert the philistines who've moved on to decent quality back to
their dark age ways. So like all religions it needs shooting down every
once in a while lest it gets above itself - as most wish to.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Since better remastering doesn't involve the consumer buying any new
equipment, then it must be implied when you actually do so, and claim

that
as one reason?

That's pretty bad logic! It's not implied, it;'s just an assumption *you*
made abiout my motives.

OK, you just like spending money then on whatever is the latest fad?

Nothing at all in what *I've* written supports
it. I've assumed *nothing* about SACDs or DVD-As except that they are
remastered.

Bull****, you claimed the *possibility* of superior mastering as one reason
for buying an expensive player.

To play those remasters, unfortunately I have to buy a player
that can play them. I had to do this when CDs first appeared too...
then later, DVDs.

At least they were far better than what they replaced (vinyl, cassette and
video tape)

Not so, there are a fair number of MTV type DVD albums using the

original
studio recordings, often with both PCM stereo and 5.1 mixes. I have

many.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with these...can you point me to some? The only
music-only surround DVDs I'm familiar with, were the DTS series.

Mostly pop music which you may not listen to I guess.

Then of course there are the concert video's with the same basic

recordings
as the CD/LP versions,

Well, no, not the 'same basic recording' -- entirely new performances,
usually.

Well no, since the recordings are often of the exact same concert!
Sure the mastering may be different, but the biggest difference I find is
that the DVD usually has more songs :-)

but often with more tracks, and usually with stereo
or 5.1 mixes, plus video, and amazingly are often cheaper than the CD
version here!

Wonderful! I have a number of them that I enjoy! But they usually don't
have the original album remastered, or the original album in a surround
remix. The exception would be the relatively rare concert that received
LP/CD release as well as film (e.g., Woodstock).

Well I have many, so I guess we have different tastes in music.

Have I disagreed? I really don't see why you're on my case.

Not on your case, just pointing out 5.1 audio does not require a major
investment in soon to be obsolete equipment.

I guess you're just angry that I'm not as angry about them as you?

Not angry at all, as long as it's not MY money.

Or is it a sin to buy them for *any* reason?

What others do with their money is OK by me. Just pointing out your reasons
did not seem that well thought out IMO.

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In rec.audio.tech Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Since better remastering doesn't involve the consumer buying any new
equipment, then it must be implied when you actually do so, and claim

that
as one reason?

That's pretty bad logic! It's not implied, it;'s just an assumption *you*
made abiout my motives.

OK, you just like spending money then on whatever is the latest fad?

Another assumption. No, I don't like spending money on the latest
fad, for its own sake. I do like to hear different remasters.
If they happen to be on a new format, that leaves me with one
choice.

Nothing at all in what *I've* written supports
it. I've assumed *nothing* about SACDs or DVD-As except that they are
remastered.

Bull****, you claimed the *possibility* of superior mastering as one reason
for buying an expensive player.

Again, how is that an *assumption* that the remastering *is* superior?

I've only assumed they were remastered. Obviously, they could prove
superior, or inferior, to previous attempts.

And obvioously, if the remastering is on a new format, and I want to hear it,
I'm going to have to buy something that can play it. Which, btw, can be
had for $160 or less these days (e.g. the Oppo970HD universal player).

To play those remasters, unfortunately I have to buy a player
that can play them. I had to do this when CDs first appeared too...
then later, DVDs.

At least they were far better than what they replaced (vinyl, cassette and
video tape)

No argument there. As I said, I'd have been happy had the new surround mixes
had been offered in the 'old' (DD/DTS) formats. And I'd have been happy if
the stereo remasters had been CD. I have no beef with Redbook.

Not so, there are a fair number of MTV type DVD albums using the

original
studio recordings, often with both PCM stereo and 5.1 mixes. I have

many.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with these...can you point me to some? The only
music-only surround DVDs I'm familiar with, were the DTS series.

Mostly pop music which you may not listen to I guess.

I listen to tons of it, and play it live too. I was also a religious
susbscriber/reader of the ICE newsletter in its day. I'm also a member of a
quadrophonic forum, not so much because I listen in quad (I don't) but because of
its information value. So overall I thought I was pretty up on surround stuff. I
knew about DTS surround 'CDs', SACD, DVD-A, DualDisc, and DVD-V. But I'm just not
familiar with these 'MTV type DVD albums' that you mention. Again, can you point
to examples? These are multichannel remixes of studio tracks, yes? The closest
I can think of to what you describe are the hamdful of 'documentary' style DVD's
on the making of classic Steely Dan, Pink Floyd etc albums, or the Beatles
'anthology' series.

Then of course there are the concert video's with the same basic

recordings
as the CD/LP versions,

Well, no, not the 'same basic recording' -- entirely new performances,
usually.

Well no, since the recordings are often of the exact same concert!

Not often...rarely. Occasionally a CD comes out after the video-- a more recent
phenomenon. Fortuitously some 'classic' live concerts were filmed. But the
proportion of live albums in the back catalog that have video (and therefore also
have surround DVD-V sound) is *tiny*. It's only relatively recently that acts
routinely release concert videos.

Sure the mastering may be different, but the biggest difference I find is
that the DVD usually has more songs :-)

A nice bonus...but I have several live CD releases too, sans video, that have
included bonus tracks upon remastering (e.g., Deep Purple 'Made in Japan')

but often with more tracks, and usually with stereo
or 5.1 mixes, plus video, and amazingly are often cheaper than the CD
version here!

Wonderful! I have a number of them that I enjoy! But they usually don't
have the original album remastered, or the original album in a surround
remix. The exception would be the relatively rare concert that received
LP/CD release as well as film (e.g., Woodstock).

Well I have many, so I guess we have different tastes in music.

I have a fair amount of live albums. The proportion that have a corresponding
video release is extremely small.

But even if that weren;'t trure -- waht about all those *studio* albums? There's
vastly more of those. The performances are not the same as the live ones.

Have I disagreed? I really don't see why you're on my case.

Not on your case, just pointing out 5.1 audio does not require a major
investment in soon to be obsolete equipment.

Right, you can buy a universal player that plays DVD , CD, as well as the
obsolete formats, for $160 or less these days. ;

I guess you're just angry that I'm not as angry about them as you?

Not angry at all, as long as it's not MY money.

Or is it a sin to buy them for *any* reason?

What others do with their money is OK by me. Just pointing out your reasons
did not seem that well thought out IMO.

I don't think you have thought out my responses half as well as I have. ;

--

___
-S

Why would someone like LP? Helen Schmidt High End Audio 376 July 22nd 05 01:07 AM
Swap Vinyl Save Cash! swapthing Marketplace 0 March 5th 05 08:11 PM
Timing Michael Mossey High End Audio 58 January 7th 05 09:19 PM
CD verses vinyl - help clear dispute WideGlide Pro Audio 188 March 13th 04 10:23 PM
SOTA vinyl mastering Thom Halvorsen High End Audio 26 October 24th 03 12:41 AM