Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

Default Hello and help

This is aguitar related, hopefully it's OK to post here....I know you
folks will know the answer.
I have a Headrush gigboard on the way....I already know I will need a
new power adapter for it. The manual says:
Input Voltage 19 VDC, 3.42 A, center-positive
Is this enough info that maybe you can point me to what I may need (I
am in US).
Thanks so much!

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296
Posted to rec.audio.pro

jtees4 wrote:

--------------

This is aguitar related, hopefully it's OK to post here....I know you
folks will know the answer.
I have a Headrush gigboard on the way....I already know I will need a
new power adapter for it.

** Why??

It comes with one of course.

..... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Babiak Paul Babiak is offline

On 11/11/2019 05:28 PM, jtees4 wrote:
This is aguitar related, hopefully it's OK to post here....I know you
folks will know the answer.
I have a Headrush gigboard on the way....I already know I will need a
new power adapter for it. The manual says:
Input Voltage 19 VDC, 3.42 A, center-positive
Is this enough info that maybe you can point me to what I may need (I
am in US).
Thanks so much!

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S899H3R..._t1_B07TVR2161
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Babiak Paul Babiak is offline

On 11/11/2019 05:28 PM, jtees4 wrote:
This is aguitar related, hopefully it's OK to post here....I know you
folks will know the answer.
I have a Headrush gigboard on the way....I already know I will need a
new power adapter for it. The manual says:
Input Voltage 19 VDC, 3.42 A, center-positive
Is this enough info that maybe you can point me to what I may need (I
am in US).
Thanks so much!

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=headrush+...ref=nb_sb_noss
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 19:00:53 -0500, Paul Babiak
wrote:

On 11/11/2019 05:28 PM, jtees4 wrote:
This is aguitar related, hopefully it's OK to post here....I know you
folks will know the answer.
I have a Headrush gigboard on the way....I already know I will need a
new power adapter for it. The manual says:
Input Voltage 19 VDC, 3.42 A, center-positive
Is this enough info that maybe you can point me to what I may need (I
am in US).
Thanks so much!

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=headrush+...ref=nb_sb_noss

Thanks for both links. It's funny, I saw the exact same one as the
first link on EBay....but that had some of the number blurred (it
looked like on purpose)....so I wasn't sure I could trust it. I didn't
even think of looking at Amazon. Much appreciated.

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 14:49:53 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison
wrote:

jtees4 wrote:

--------------

This is aguitar related, hopefully it's OK to post here....I know you
folks will know the answer.
I have a Headrush gigboard on the way....I already know I will need a
new power adapter for it.

** Why??

It comes with one of course.

.... Phil

Not necessarily. It's used, and I got it for a VERY low price....and
if it does not work it's fully returnable.

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

wrote:

[...]

None of those appear to be able to supply 3.4 Amps (which does seem
rather a lot). Maybe the expensive one will, but it doesn't specify in
the listing.

Also you need to be sure you have the right DC connector. If there is a
2.5mm plug into a 2.1mm socket there will be a poor connection, and
possibly even a burn-out of the plug/socket. To check, get a 2.1mm plug
and if it fits then that's what it is. If it doesn't fit you'll need a
2.5mm plug. I would be a bit doubtful about using one of those PSUs with
an array of connectors that clip onto a universal adaptor on the lead -
is that high current is for real and not a typo.

Maybe best get a real replacement Headrush PSU ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
------------

None of those appear to be able to supply 3.4 Amps (which does seem
rather a lot). Maybe the expensive one will, but it doesn't specify in
the listing.

** Both same & same price when I looked.

Claimed to meet all specs as for the stock item.

Also you need to be sure you have the right DC connector.

** See above.

Maybe best get a real replacement Headrush PSU ?

** Be a safer bet than any cheap substitute.

The cheapies may have no overvoltage protection ( not usually part of the published spec) like a hefty zener across the output.

Might save the unit from destruction one day.

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 12/11/2019 4:54 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
geoff wrote:
------------

None of those appear to be able to supply 3.4 Amps (which does seem
rather a lot). Maybe the expensive one will, but it doesn't specify in
the listing.

** Both same & same price when I looked.

Claimed to meet all specs as for the stock item.

Also you need to be sure you have the right DC connector.

** See above.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=headrush+...ref=nb_sb_noss

This shows 5 PSUs. They all claim to be 'compatible with the Headrush
thang', though none have a listed current rating in the specs. Two with
a current rating visible on the device label in the *picture* say 1.6A,
which last time I went to school was not 3.42 amps.

Given all this lack of concise information, and only general claims
which would appear somewhere from rather vague to demonstrably
incorrect, I would not be confident that the DC plug would have the
correct diameter pin either.

Maybe best get a real replacement Headrush PSU ?

** Be a safer bet than any cheap substitute.

The cheapies may have no overvoltage protection ( not usually part of the published spec) like a hefty zener across the output.

Might save the unit from destruction one day.

Yeah.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff the blind ****head wrote:

------------------------------

None of those appear to be able to supply 3.4 Amps (which does seem
rather a lot). Maybe the expensive one will, but it doesn't specify in
the listing.

** Both same & same price when I looked.

Claimed to meet all specs as for the stock item.

Also you need to be sure you have the right DC connector.

** See above.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=headrush+...ref=nb_sb_noss

This shows 5 PSUs. They all claim to be 'compatible with the Headrush
thang', though none have a listed current rating in the specs.

** Irrelevant.

Two with a current rating visible on the device label in the *picture*
say 1.6A, which last time I went to school was not 3.42 amps.

** Must have been the school of hard knocks ?

FFS can't you see 1.6A is the max primary side amp rating ??

Right next to the 100-240V spec ??

With a 100VAC supply ( in Japan ) the rms amps is 1.6A at full load.

Allow for a PF of 0.5 = 80 watts input to a 65W psu.

Spot ****ing on.

Given all this lack of concise information,

** " 100% compatible will all the original features including over current and voltage protection " is precise.

Concise is the wrong term.

LOL

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 12/11/2019 6:57 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
geoff the blind ****head wrote:

------------------------------

[...]

You are, of course, right regarding the current being 'primary. It would
be reassuring to me to actually have a full output voltage/current spec,
given the vagaries of the ads.

Hope you can get to the pharmacy what with all those fires and things.
Once the meds kick in hopefully you can return to being a less
unpleasant person.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

--------------

** Must have been the school of hard knocks ?

FFS can't you see 1.6A is the max primary side amp rating ??

Right next to the 100-240V spec ??

With a 100VAC supply ( in Japan ) the rms amps is 1.6A at full load.

Allow for a PF of 0.5 = 80 watts input to a 65W psu.

Spot ****ing on.

You are, of course, right regarding the current being 'primary. It would
be reassuring to me to actually have a full output voltage/current spec,
given the vagaries of the ads.

** Most product advertising is deliberately vague, cos doing that benefits the seller. Being vague circumvents being sued.

Laws against misleading advertising are weak and rarely enforced cos the only folk with enough financial reason use them are other product advertisers.

But most of them fear the backlash from doing so cos it will likely open a Pandora's Box of cross actions against them.

Few if any are squeaky clean themselves.

Such is the honour among thieves.

..... Phil

...... Phil

Hope you can get to the pharmacy what with all those fires and things.
Once the meds kick in hopefully you can return to being a less
unpleasant person.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

Thanks all! I am looking into a new one from Headrush, but I do not
even have the unit yet....so I will wait awhile and do some research
in the meantime. If all is good, I'd probably buy a new Headrush OEM
unit....though I'll wait and see.
Thanks again!

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

geoff wrote:
You are, of course, right regarding the current being 'primary. It would
be reassuring to me to actually have a full output voltage/current spec,
given the vagaries of the ads.

This is likely a cheap laptop switching supply. 19V is very common, and
the easiest thing is to go to a shop that sells used laptops or ask a
friend in the IT business to look through their AC adaptor pile for something
with the right connector.

All the laptop switching supplies are noisy as hell, but hopefully your
device is designed for good noise rejection. And they are pretty much free,
because people throw them out right and left.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

So I got my gigboard. No problems, it works great. Turns out the
seller did not really speak nglish and explained it to me wrong. I
simply needed a travel adapter because the adapter included had a
European plug, so I just needed to adapt it to USA and all was fine.
Thanks again.

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/11/2019 2:40 pm, jtees4 wrote:
So I got my gigboard. No problems, it works great. Turns out the
seller did not really speak nglish and explained it to me wrong. I
simply needed a travel adapter because the adapter included had a
European plug, so I just needed to adapt it to USA and all was fine.
Thanks again.

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296

Best change the plug for a proper one. Adaptors are a weak point and
sometimes come loose when you least expect or want them to.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 15:03:06 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 17/11/2019 2:40 pm, jtees4 wrote:
So I got my gigboard. No problems, it works great. Turns out the
seller did not really speak nglish and explained it to me wrong. I
simply needed a travel adapter because the adapter included had a
European plug, so I just needed to adapt it to USA and all was fine.
Thanks again.

Please check out my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1430296

Best change the plug for a proper one. Adaptors are a weak point and
sometimes come loose when you least expect or want them to.

geoff

Yes, I agree...thanks. Right now I only play at home so it is not an
issue, but if I decide to play out, it will definitely a have a good
new power supply cord. They are certainkly cheap enough, under $20.