Posted to rec.audio.pro
Cyberserf Cyberserf is offline

Default Noise Gate Issues

I have an Aphex 105 Quad Channel Logic Assisted Noise Gate that has
recently taken to sticking (the gate won't open). It sometimes resets
when I disconnect the power and reconnect it (there is no on/off
switch). I'm looking for any maintenance tips that may help to revive
it.

Many thanks, CS
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Cyberserf wrote:
I have an Aphex 105 Quad Channel Logic Assisted Noise Gate that has
recently taken to sticking (the gate won't open). It sometimes resets
when I disconnect the power and reconnect it (there is no on/off
switch). I'm looking for any maintenance tips that may help to revive
it.

I'd look for leaky caps in the control path.
---scott
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Cyberserf" wrote in message
I have an Aphex 105 Quad Channel Logic Assisted Noise Gate that has
recently taken to sticking (the gate won't open). It sometimes resets
when I disconnect the power and reconnect it (there is no on/off
switch). I'm looking for any maintenance tips that may help to revive
it.

Many thanks, CS

If it has "Key" jack sockets on the back, they may be dirty, preventing the
input signal opening the gates. Plug a jack in and out a few times to try
and clean it or better still use switch cleaner.
(This would only cause problems on that particular channel though, not
prevent all the gates from working).

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

--
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Thanks Scott...I was hoping it might be a contact issue, but I guess
I'll have to pop the hood after all.

Cheers, CS
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Cyberserf wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:40=A0am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Cyberserf wrote:
I have an Aphex 105 Quad Channel Logic Assisted Noise Gate that has
recently taken to sticking (the gate won't open). It sometimes resets
when I disconnect the power and reconnect it (there is no on/off
switch). I'm looking for any maintenance tips that may help to revive
it.

I'd look for leaky caps in the control path.

Thanks Scott...I was hoping it might be a contact issue, but I guess
I'll have to pop the hood after all.

Could well be a contact issue but you'll have to pop the case to find out
anyway.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Cyberserf Cyberserf is offline

On Feb 23, 3:27*pm, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
"Cyberserf" wrote in message

I have an Aphex 105 Quad Channel Logic Assisted Noise Gate that has
recently taken to sticking (the gate won't open). It sometimes resets
when I disconnect the power and reconnect it (there is no on/off
switch). I'm looking for any maintenance tips that may help to revive
it.

Many thanks, CS

If it has "Key" jack sockets on the back, they may be dirty, preventing the
input signal opening the gates. Plug a jack in and out a few times to try
and clean it or better still use switch cleaner.
(This would only cause problems on that particular channel though, not
prevent all the gates from working).

Gareth.

God Bless...you have found it! I use the key on my Bass (keyed to a
Kick) and had it "Half patched"...seems it was making the
connection...sometimes. My unplugging the wall wart would cause me to
brush against this self-same "silly ass shortcut connection" and
"sometimes" cause the key to drop out of the equation, thus allowing
the gate to open and making me think it was a power issue. Bless you.
In retrospect, it was always the bass that I would notice
sticking...which caused me quite some question marks...thank you for
forcing the penny to drop...the problem was definitely between the
chair and the keyboard.

I've removed the "half" key and the gate works as new.

Thanks to both you and Scott (no doubt some cleaning is in order, so
I'm still gonna pop the hood),

Cheers, CS
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

wrote:

"Cyberserf" wrote in message

[...]

It is always a good idea to go through your gear every six months or
so (even once a year is better than nothing) and clean your contacts,
patch bays, etc. to remove problems.

And, yes, sometime popping the lid on things and blowing them out
(dust can do lots of "fun" things to your signal) is essential, too...
like on any tube gear you might have.

--Fletch

Noise gate Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Pro Audio 5 January 23rd 07 06:14 AM
Noise gate Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Tech 4 January 23rd 07 06:14 AM
FS: MXR NOISE GATE / LINE DRIVER Mark Glinsky Pro Audio 12 October 19th 03 12:02 AM
Noise Gate recommendation IS Pro Audio 3 August 21st 03 04:08 AM
FS: MXR NOISE GATE / LINE DRIVERS (2) Mark Glinsky Pro Audio 0 August 12th 03 07:47 PM