Gilbert Bates

Default Graduated scales for pots???

Anyone know if any scales were ever manufactured to be mounted under
pot knobs. Seems like everything ever done is painted or silked
screened on. Like to find some vintage or new ones, like a 0 to 10
scale or something? I'm using chicken head knobs on dual mono-blocks
and would like some sort of scaling to 'match' volume levels with.
It's more of a 'look' thing rather than trying to be accurate with
volume settings.

Thanks!
mick

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:45:00 +0000, Gilbert Bates wrote:

Anyone know if any scales were ever manufactured to be mounted under pot
knobs. Seems like everything ever done is painted or silked screened on.
Like to find some vintage or new ones, like a 0 to 10 scale or something?
I'm using chicken head knobs on dual mono-blocks and would like some sort
of scaling to 'match' volume levels with. It's more of a 'look' thing
rather than trying to be accurate with volume settings.

They certainly were. I remember having a book of water-slide transfers for
just that sort of thing. There were the things that you mentioned together
with various tuning scales and things. I've absolutely no idea where you
would start to look for them now though! I have a feeling that they were
produced by "Radio Constructor" or someone like that...

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Frank Vuotto

Back in the day when there was a local electronics store, I remember a
small bin of thin aluminum donuts painted on one side and silk
screened with various scales.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:45:00 GMT, Gilbert Bates
wrote:

Anyone know if any scales were ever manufactured to be mounted under
pot knobs. Seems like everything ever done is painted or silked
screened on. Like to find some vintage or new ones, like a 0 to 10
scale or something? I'm using chicken head knobs on dual mono-blocks
and would like some sort of scaling to 'match' volume levels with.
It's more of a 'look' thing rather than trying to be accurate with
volume settings.

Thanks!

Patrick Turner

mick wrote:

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:45:00 +0000, Gilbert Bates wrote:

Anyone know if any scales were ever manufactured to be mounted under pot
knobs. Seems like everything ever done is painted or silked screened on.
Like to find some vintage or new ones, like a 0 to 10 scale or something?
I'm using chicken head knobs on dual mono-blocks and would like some sort
of scaling to 'match' volume levels with. It's more of a 'look' thing
rather than trying to be accurate with volume settings.

They certainly were. I remember having a book of water-slide transfers for
just that sort of thing. There were the things that you mentioned together
with various tuning scales and things. I've absolutely no idea where you
would start to look for them now though! I have a feeling that they were
produced by "Radio Constructor" or someone like that...

You should be able to neatly draw up or type up a scale on the PC for any
scalle or radio dial you want, then reduce it to the size, and have a guy
with a laser printer reproduce it on a powder coated piece of Al, or as a
stick-on transparency
using adhesive coated plastic sheet. .
Its only sign writing. I did a radio replacement dial after drawing up a
suitable scale with
graduations and numbers rathe than all the stations. Most of the lettering from
1939 on
the original STC dial had fallen off

Screen printing is still done here and there by dedicated ppl, but now all that
sort of thing
is mainly laser printed.

You pay for it to be done,
But if you do all the software prep in a program that the guy's computer
controlled
printer can follow, you can have almost anything you want.

Patrick Turner.

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )