DougC

Default Cheap Thrills/Transistors: Sonic Impact T-Amp?

Has anybody here seen/heard of/bought one of these yet? Seems to be
quite notable among certain review sites, and it only costs $20-$30 USD.
A few days ago it was listed on the Sonic Impact site, but now it does
not appear there, so there may be a run on them right now. I haven't
tried ordering one yet. I heard that some Target stores carried them so
I went to the local but they had never heard of it there.
Company website: http://www.si-5.com/ --- one review:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html --- another review:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html --- Googlage:

If this was around April 1, I'd be suspicious.
And if it was expensive I'd have likely not even mentioned it, but it
seems a pretty harmless toss for $30....
~
Phread

"DougC" wrote in message ...

Has anybody here seen/heard of/bought one of these yet? Seems to be quite notable among certain review sites, and it
only costs $20-$30 USD. A few days ago it was listed on the Sonic Impact site, but now it does not appear there, so
there may be a run on them right now. I haven't tried ordering one yet. I heard that some Target stores carried them
so I went to the local but they had never heard of it there.
Company website: http://www.si-5.com/ --- one review: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html --- another
review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html --- Googlage:

If this was around April 1, I'd be suspicious.
And if it was expensive I'd have likely not even mentioned it, but it seems a pretty harmless toss for $30....
~

I read a white paper from Tripath, the maker of the highly sophisticated class D switching chips used in this, a couple
of years ago. The chips are incredibly cheap, and perform so well they are being used by the likes of Audio Research.
Considering the economies of Chinese manufacturing, and that Tripath has already done the complete circuit design, I'm
not all that surprised by the price or the reviews. This thing, repackaged in an Audio Research case with a good power
supply, would probably sell like hotcakes as an $800 headphone amplifier.

I think I might risk $30 and get one to try as a headphone amp for my computer, powered by a 12V gell cell.

Phread