PCM Stereo or DTS HELP

Old December 27th 15, 04:19 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

Default PCM Stereo or DTS HELP

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 17:17:23 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
> wrote:
> In article >,
> Julian Macassey > wrote:
>

>> Choose Stereo good for people with two ears.

> 5.1 and 7.1 don't downmix to stereo well.

5.1 and 7.1 don't give you what it says on the tin unless
you have decent (not little box) speakers and you place the
listeners in the middle, which is not what I tend to see when I
visit homes that have the whole "Home theater" set up.

Stero works well in less ideal conditions, using decent
speakers placed well. But, your friends may sneer at you.

I predict we will soon have 9.1, speakers added the way
razor manufacturers stack blades. One blade will shave hair, but
two are twice as good. I note I can if I desire buy a six blade
razor, of course it costs more than a single blade razor, but it
does have six blades.

--
"Ouais benh ça c'est suisse et c'est précis, très précis." -
"Jules" in the 1981 French movie "Diva".
Old December 27th 15, 11:45 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On 27/12/2015 4:19 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 17:17:23 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
> > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Julian Macassey > wrote:
>>

>>> Choose Stereo good for people with two ears.

>> 5.1 and 7.1 don't downmix to stereo well.

> 5.1 and 7.1 don't give you what it says on the tin unless
> you have decent (not little box) speakers and you place the
> listeners in the middle, which is not what I tend to see when I
> visit homes that have the whole "Home theater" set up.
>
> Stero works well in less ideal conditions, using decent
> speakers placed well. But, your friends may sneer at you.
>
> I predict we will soon have 9.1, speakers added the way
> razor manufacturers stack blades. One blade will shave hair, but
> two are twice as good. I note I can if I desire buy a six blade
> razor, of course it costs more than a single blade razor, but it
> does have six blades.

Just "8" should do it for 360°. Add a ".1" if other speakers have little
bass. And another "1" for soundtrack to cope with soundtracks with a
centre channel.

Just "2" does it for me.

Old December 28th 15, 06:00 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

On 28/12/2015 11:45 AM, geoff wrote:
> On 27/12/2015 4:19 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 17:17:23 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
>> > wrote:

>>> 5.1 and 7.1 don't downmix to stereo well.

>> 5.1 and 7.1 don't give you what it says on the tin unless
>> you have decent (not little box) speakers and you place the
>> listeners in the middle, which is not what I tend to see when I
>> visit homes that have the whole "Home theater" set up.
>>
>> Stero works well in less ideal conditions, using decent
>> speakers placed well. But, your friends may sneer at you.
>>
>> I predict we will soon have 9.1, speakers added the way
>> razor manufacturers stack blades. One blade will shave hair, but
>> two are twice as good. I note I can if I desire buy a six blade
>> razor, of course it costs more than a single blade razor, but it
>> does have six blades.
>>

> Just "8" should do it for 360°. Add a ".1" if other speakers have little
> bass. And another "1" for soundtrack to cope with soundtracks with a
> centre channel.
>
> Just "2" does it for me.
>
> geoff

That was 360° on both axes ....

Old December 28th 15, 06:29 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 28/12/2015 9:45 AM, geoff wrote:
> On 27/12/2015 4:19 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>> I predict we will soon have 9.1, speakers added the way
>> razor manufacturers stack blades.

Yep, you soon trade one problem for another. I find it near impossible
to shave under my nose properly with those stupidly wide 5 blade razors.
And if the blades are too close together, they are impossible to clean.

> Just "8" should do it for 360°. Add a ".1" if other speakers have little
> bass. And another "1" for soundtrack to cope with soundtracks with a
> centre channel.

Which is 9.1 just as he said. Centre channel only necessary in a wide
room, relative to listening position of course.

> Just "2" does it for me.

For music it's all you need. And good mono is still better than many
stereo recordings.

Trevor.

Old December 28th 15, 07:37 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:29:36 +1100, Trevor > wrote:
> On 28/12/2015 9:45 AM, geoff wrote:
>> On 27/12/2015 4:19 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>>> I predict we will soon have 9.1, speakers added the way
>>> razor manufacturers stack blades.

> Yep, you soon trade one problem for another. I find it near impossible
> to shave under my nose properly with those stupidly wide 5 blade razors.
> And if the blades are too close together, they are impossible to clean.

If you want a really good shave, get hold of an open (cut
throat) razor. It will be the closest shave you have ever had.

>> Just "8" should do it for 360°. Add a ".1" if other speakers have little
>> bass. And another "1" for soundtrack to cope with soundtracks with a
>> centre channel.

> Which is 9.1 just as he said. Centre channel only necessary in a wide
> room, relative to listening position of course.
>

>> Just "2" does it for me.

> For music it's all you need. And good mono is still better than many
> stereo recordings.

It is worth noting that films worth watching tend not to
have all the odd channels. Films with loud noises and explosions
rather than a decent plot and good acting need noise coming at you
from all angles.

You want to hear really good film sound? Track down a
copy of Onibaba made ithe the 1960s. IMDB says the audio is
mono. The copies I have seen were in stereo and stereo with
excellent imaging you could place the actors as they ran through
the swamp. When I first heard it I was blown away.

That being said, there is much more to good audio
recording than multiple channels.

--
Hitler, no doubt, will soon disappear, but only at the expense of
strengthening (a) Stalin, (b) the Anglo-American millionaires and (c) all
Old December 28th 15, 08:22 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 28/12/2015 5:37 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> If you want a really good shave, get hold of an open (cut
> throat) razor. It will be the closest shave you have ever had.

A little too close too often :-(

> It is worth noting that films worth watching tend not to
> have all the odd channels. Films with loud noises and explosions
> rather than a decent plot and good acting need noise coming at you
> from all angles.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Good action movies benefit from good
spatial sound with wide range response and high dynamic range. Love
stories not so much.

> That being said, there is much more to good audio
> recording than multiple channels.

Likewise multiple channels does not make bad audio good, or necessarily
make good audio bad. Simply more of a challenge to get right.

Trevor.

Old December 28th 15, 10:39 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

On 28/12/2015 6:29 PM, Trevor wrote:
> On 28/12/2015 9:45 AM, geoff wrote:
>> On 27/12/2015 4:19 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>>> I predict we will soon have 9.1, speakers added the way
>>> razor manufacturers stack blades.

> Yep, you soon trade one problem for another. I find it near impossible
> to shave under my nose properly with those stupidly wide 5 blade razors.
> And if the blades are too close together, they are impossible to clean.
>

>> Just "8" should do it for 360°. Add a ".1" if other speakers have little
>> bass. And another "1" for soundtrack to cope with soundtracks with a
>> centre channel.

> Which is 9.1 just as he said. Centre channel only necessary in a wide
> room, relative to listening position of course.

Yeah I can count too. I was getting back to what he said from the
theoretical bare necessity.

Old December 28th 15, 10:40 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

On 28/12/2015 8:22 PM, Trevor wrote:

> The two are not mutually exclusive. Good action movies benefit from good
> spatial sound with wide range response and high dynamic range. Love
> stories not so much.

Many love stories have a bit of loud banging .... ;-O

Old December 28th 15, 04:29 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:40:29 +1300, geoff > wrote:
> On 28/12/2015 8:22 PM, Trevor wrote:
>>

>> The two are not mutually exclusive. Good action movies benefit from good
>> spatial sound with wide range response and high dynamic range. Love
>> stories not so much.

> Many love stories have a bit of loud banging .... ;-O

With good micing and dynamic range, they can get the
slurpy noises too. Maybe a good foley artist needed later.

--
Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of
a vigorous intellect. - Samuel Johnson
Old December 28th 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On 29/12/2015 4:29 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:40:29 +1300, geoff > wrote:
>> On 28/12/2015 8:22 PM, Trevor wrote:
>>>

>>> The two are not mutually exclusive. Good action movies benefit from good
>>> spatial sound with wide range response and high dynamic range. Love
>>> stories not so much.

>> Many love stories have a bit of loud banging .... ;-O

> With good micing and dynamic range, they can get the
> slurpy noises too. Maybe a good foley artist needed later.

"Micing" - wouldn't that be kinky , not to mention highly illegal ?