JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

Old June 13th 14, 03:07 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

Default JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

I have confirmed that it is the receiver's output that is blown, not the speakee.

Is there anything I can check inside - something hopefully simple as a fuse or thermal breaker?

This is a 20-year old surround sound work horse with plenty inputs for all my analog gear, and replacements are few and far between.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot!
Old June 14th 14, 11:21 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

Mark Z:

This you? http://www.electronicwizards.biz/our-team/
Old June 15th 14, 05:10 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson

www.rageaudio.com.au

> The OP is probably out of his league - but I fix this kind of thing all
> the time. No problem.
>
> A couple outputs, maybe a resistor or two, sometimes a couple drivers or
> a zener diode, etc.
>
> Service info readily available.
>
> Easy.
>

> Mark Z.

**Like I said, if that model is like all the other JVC ones I've seen,
it has no removable base plate. Disassembly is not only difficult, but
testing after reassembly is challenging. JVC is far from the only offender.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Old June 17th 14, 06:38 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:07:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel
>

> I have confirmed that it is the receiver's output that is blown, not the speakee.
>

> Is there anything I can check inside - something hopefully simple as a fuse or thermal breaker?
>

> This is a 20-year old surround sound work horse with plenty inputs for all my analog gear, and replacements are few and far between.
>

> Thanks for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot!

I agree with the replace suggestion. While it might have plenty of inputs if you really are using it as a surround sound system and it's that old then there are a number of new audio formats it won't decode. I'm very happy with the current yamahas.
Old June 17th 14, 11:25 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

1:38 wrote:
"I agree with the replace suggestion. While it might have plenty of inputs if you really are using it as a surround sound system and it's that old then there are a number of new audio formats it won't decode. I'm very happy with the current yamahas. "

I most certainly am using it in surround. I also possess a shipload of perfectly operational analog audio & video playback components that would not have a home on most current receivers.

I will unfortunately have to replace it; authorized JVC repair is no longer available for this vintage. I am exploring several options.
Old June 18th 14, 01:01 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias

"Trevor Wilson" > wrote in message
> On 15/06/2014 6:29 AM, Mark Zacharias wrote:

>>> **If the RX-515V is anything like all the other JVC surround sound
>>> recievers, then it will be extremely time-consuming. They were never
>>> built to be repaired. Throw it away.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

>> The OP is probably out of his league - but I fix this kind of thing all
>> the time. No problem.
>>
>> A couple outputs, maybe a resistor or two, sometimes a couple drivers or
>> a zener diode, etc.
>>
>> Service info readily available.
>>
>> Easy.
>>

>> Mark Z.

> **Like I said, if that model is like all the other JVC ones I've seen, it
> has no removable base plate. Disassembly is not only difficult, but
> testing after reassembly is challenging. JVC is far from the only
> offender.
>
> --
> Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Oh, yeah.

Most makes and models have been like this for at least about the last
fifteen years. Just have had to deal with it.

For example, you could check my Youtube videos "Yamaha RX-V661 Repair Brief"
or Denon AVR-2307CI Repair Brief" to see the common kind of stuff I do.

The JVC models of this type got nothin' on the Yamaha RX-V2400's etc... now
THOSE are challenging for blown channels, but still - the amp sections are
fairly standard on most of these.

It's things like intermittent DC offset on a single channel that cause the
most trouble for me.

Mark Z.

Old June 18th 14, 10:41 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:25:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> 1:38 wrote:

> "I agree with the replace suggestion. While it might have plenty of inputs if you really are using it as a surround sound system and it's that old then there are a number of new audio formats it won't decode. I'm very happy with the current yamahas. "
>

> I most certainly am using it in surround. I also possess a shipload of perfectly operational analog audio & video playback components that would not have a home on most current receivers.
>

> I will unfortunately have to replace it; authorized JVC repair is no longer available for this vintage. I am exploring several options.

You might be using it for surround but it doesn't support any of the newer formats because they didn't exist when it was made.

I'm curious what you consider a "shipload" of analog audio/video equipment that you are using?
Old June 19th 14, 02:40 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:41:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> I'm curious what you consider a "shipload" of analog audio/video equipment that you are using?

____

I'm not going to answer that. Do some research on what folks at home might have been playing music and movies back on 15, 20, 30 years ago.

smh...