Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ken Winokur Ken Winokur is offline

Default Studio Desiger professionals

It looks like I'm buying a house with a 1000 sq. ft. freestanding
concrete building that I can put a studio in. I'm looking for
recommendations of studio designers.

Although I am going to try to make this as professional as I can
afford, I'm sure that it's not going to be too lavish (fancy woodwork
etc.). I would like somebody who is OK with working on a budget.

Also, I have already found a contractor/carpenter (my brother in law)
who will do the actual building. I know that some of the obvious
designers always work with their own building team.

The use of this studio will be largely for my own use (I do soundtrack
work, and live performance for silent film). I'll try to bring in
some extra cash by renting time to bands, voiceovers, etc.

Thanks,
Ken Winokur

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

You can try here
http://www.johnlsayers.com/
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

Ken,

I'm looking for recommendations of studio designers.

What's your budget for the designer (only)? There are many pro designers
ranging from very affordable to very expensive.

I agree with Federico that John Sayers is a good start. He's in Australia,
but he also has a forum where you can get self-help advice.

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

I agree with Federico that John Sayers is a good start. He's in Australia,
but he also has a forum where you can get self-help advice.

A good start could be John Sayers "phone service".
Send hime the plans and make a phone call...
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ken Winokur Ken Winokur is offline

On Sep 12, 8:32*am, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com
wrote:
Ken,

I'm looking for recommendations of studio designers.

What's your budget for the designer (only)? *There are many pro designers
ranging from very affordable to very expensive.

I agree with Federico that John Sayers is a good start. He's in Australia,
but he also has a forum where you can get self-help advice.

--Ethan

It's too early to say what the budget will be. I'm just buying the
house and my future studio now. We're going to fix up the house
first. After that, I'll have a better idea of the budget. I have a
working studio already (in a rented loft), so I 'm not going to rush
into this. I imagine we won't start work on the studio for at least 9
months or so.

Obviously an affordable designer would be great, but I do want to do
this right. I'm definitely not shooting for the high end. This will
be somewhat between a project studio and a commercial studio. I use
it professionally for my own soundtrack work (I make a living at
this), but the earnings are still pretty modest.

My first guess is that the total budget for the conversion will be
around $150,000. The current structure is just a concrete shell - a
garage for trucks. It's 1000 sq. ft. with 14 ft ceilings. I'll need
to construct another 500 - 750 sq ft for offices, kitchen, storage etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ken Winokur Ken Winokur is offline

That's it? Surely there are other names out there. You've only given
me one, and he's in Australia (which may be possible, but presents
some obvious obstacles).

This studio will be in Somerville MA, just outside of Boston.

Ken
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ken Winokur wrote:
That's it? Surely there are other names out there. You've only given
me one, and he's in Australia (which may be possible, but presents
some obvious obstacles).

This studio will be in Somerville MA, just outside of Boston.

So, call Fletcher and ask who he'd recommend locally. Hell, for that
matter you can call Leo Beranek who is just down the road from you.

Francis Manzella and John Storyk are both on the east coast and have
made lots of excellent rooms.

Don't worry about calling up the big names and asking for a low priced
option.... they may well know somebody who would be willing to do the
word for you, or they may be able to come up with a modification of a
standard design for cheap.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

Ken,

That's it? Surely there are other names out there.

Scott gave you some good names. There's also Wes Lachot:

www.weslachot.com

And Glenn Stanton:

www.runnel.com

--Ethan
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Ken Winokur wrote:
That's it? Surely there are other names out there. You've only given
me one, and he's in Australia (which may be possible, but presents
some obvious obstacles).

This studio will be in Somerville MA, just outside of Boston.

So, call Fletcher and ask who he'd recommend locally. Hell, for that
matter you can call Leo Beranek who is just down the road from you.

Francis Manzella and John Storyk are both on the east coast and have
made lots of excellent rooms.

Don't worry about calling up the big names and asking for a low priced
option.... they may well know somebody who would be willing to do the
word for you, or they may be able to come up with a modification of a
standard design for cheap.
--scott

Francis Manzella moderates an acoustics forum over at ProSound Web.
Asking there would get lots of refs.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/44/17098/

--
ha