Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Mario[_2_] Mario[_2_] is offline

Default how to use bang olufsen beosystem speakers?

Hello,

I have a Bang OlufsenTV surround audio system Beosystem

Its a Tv with four column speakers which are powered and aplified as
you know by the bang olufsen beosystems, this speakers are not
connected
normaly to the output of a dolby surround system, but are driven by
the beosystem

Now I have changed TV to a flat screed LCD TV but I would like to
still be able to use the Bang Olufsen column speakers, how can I
achieve this? I need some kind of transducer to drive these speakers
from a standard dolby surround amplifier

Does any one sell a system that will input audio/video sources and
output them in surrond to the Bang Olufsen Beosystem speakers? Or sme
kind of device to put between surround amplifier and each speaker

Thanks,

Mario

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Severian Severian is offline

Mario wrote:
Hello,

I have a Bang OlufsenTV surround audio system Beosystem

Its a Tv with four column speakers which are powered and aplified as
you know by the bang olufsen beosystems, this speakers are not
connected
normaly to the output of a dolby surround system, but are driven by
the beosystem

Now I have changed TV to a flat screed LCD TV but I would like to
still be able to use the Bang Olufsen column speakers, how can I
achieve this? I need some kind of transducer to drive these speakers
from a standard dolby surround amplifier

Does any one sell a system that will input audio/video sources and
output them in surrond to the Bang Olufsen Beosystem speakers? Or sme
kind of device to put between surround amplifier and each speaker

You have a couple of ways to go.

B&O sells an adapter that goes from the 5 pin Beolink to traditional RCA
jacks you could use, but that would require you come up with a source
for the power on signal. Check the speakers, if they are like my Beolab
8000's, they have an RCA input, and a switch on them to select that
input instead of the Beolink one. The speakers then sense the presence
of a signal on the audio input (RCA) and switch on and off using that as
a trigger. Only downside to that if if there is a long silent spell on
the surrounds they will switch off. If the speakers have this RCA jack
on them, you'd just need a receiver that had line level outputs and run
an RCA cable between it and the speaker. I believe B&O still sells a
cable that connects to speaker level outputs and converts it down to
line level, but that's not entirely the best way to go about it.

B&O sells a thing called a Beosystem 1 (I think that's what it's called)
that is an AV center, it does all the surround sound processing and
video processing, lets you hook up to a non-B&O flat panel TV, but it's
like $6000 US. Pricey.

If you don't care about advanced surround sound and are happy with just
Pro-Logic, you might look for an older, used B&O AV7000. It is a
surround processor and switcher designed to be used with the old
5000/7000 B&O systems (rectangular boxes that preceded the current crop
of stuff). It has a 45 watt center channel output, and 4 Beolink outputs
for front and rear left and right. Video switching is limited to RCA
type composite video, so it's not up to modern video sources. I use an
AV7000 with a Panasonic plasma, I use the TV for video switching, and
run RCA level audio out from the TV to the AV7000, a pair of Beolab
8000's for the mains, and an amp run off the Beolink outputs for the rears.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

Now I have changed TV to a flat screed LCD TV...

Are you watching angry politicians?

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:14:05 -0400, Severian wrote:

You have a couple of ways to go.

Keee-rimany, what a lame sounding product.

Buy this... buy that... won't do this type of sound... blah blah
blah...

Buy SPEAKERS... BUY A GOOD, MODERNN A/V AMPLIFIER... Hook 'em up.

The next level UP from that is amplified speakers. And even those are
easier than this stupid crap sounds.

B & O sounds like a big, stupid, proprietary pain in the ass.

Like the Compaq computers were in the 286 386 days.

Errr...not to interrupt your ignorant rant, but the B&O speakers are
active, biamped speakers.

But I understand, B&O will be hard for people working at WalMart and
McDonalds to afford, you actually have to be successful and have a sense
of style and taste to want them.

Moron.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:26:50 -0400, Severian wrote:

Errr...not to interrupt your ignorant rant, but the B&O speakers are
active, biamped speakers.

But I understand, B&O will be hard for people working at WalMart and
McDonalds to afford, you actually have to be successful and have a sense
of style and taste to want them.

And do they sound good? The B&O systems I've come across have been
ovbiviously design-led (and I don't mean audio design:-). One has to
suspect they're idiosyncratic for the sake of it, not because an
engineer made a breakthrough that column speakers actually SOUNDED
better?

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

And do they sound good? The B&O systems I've come across have been
ovbiviously design-led (and I don't mean audio design:-). One has to
suspect they're idiosyncratic for the sake of it, not because an
engineer made a breakthrough that column speakers actually SOUNDED
better?

Oh right. I've just had a look at the brochure. This is HEAVY
"lifestyle" stuff :-) And those powered speakers have "2500 watts of
digital amplification". At least you wouldn't need central heating as
well.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:26:50 -0400, Severian wrote:

Errr...not to interrupt your ignorant rant, but the B&O speakers are
active, biamped speakers.

But I understand, B&O will be hard for people working at WalMart and
McDonalds to afford, you actually have to be successful and have a sense
of style and taste to want them.

And do they sound good? The B&O systems I've come across have been
ovbiviously design-led (and I don't mean audio design:-). One has to
suspect they're idiosyncratic for the sake of it, not because an
engineer made a breakthrough that column speakers actually SOUNDED
better?

Most people never get to hear B&O in the proper listening environment.
The Beosound 8000's sound as good or better than audiophile approved
monitors costing as much or more when you count amps and stands. The
sense of depth, space, and air, and the midrange smoothness, are all as
good as I've heard. They image very much like planar speakers without
the room placement issues. I've had the opportunity to hear the Beolab
5's setup well, and they sound magnificent, bass is deep, tight, and non
boomy but goes low enough to untie your shoelaces. Yes, they are $20K a
pair, but that's not expensive by audiophile standards. I've heard lots
of "high end" speakers that sound significantly worse that cost as much
or more.

They are expensive, and they do cost more because they pay a lot of
attention to design and style. I find that enjoyable, as too much audio
gear is absolutely horrendously ugly, which is all the worse as it has
no reason to be. It is possible to design in better looks for not as
much as B&O charges, but almost no one else does so. And B&O's materials
aren't cheap, solid aluminum speaker enclosures, high end finishes, etc.

But I get tired of ignorant knee jerk reactions that are as often
prompted by envy as by objective observation. It took a long time for me
to finally listen to B&O seriously, when I did I bought, and have been
happy with the sound and the reliability.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

Laurence Payne wrote:
And do they sound good? The B&O systems I've come across have been
ovbiviously design-led (and I don't mean audio design:-). One has to
suspect they're idiosyncratic for the sake of it, not because an
engineer made a breakthrough that column speakers actually SOUNDED
better?

Oh right. I've just had a look at the brochure. This is HEAVY
"lifestyle" stuff :-) And those powered speakers have "2500 watts of
digital amplification". At least you wouldn't need central heating as
well.

They use highly efficient digital switching amps, and run very cool.
Unlike the overkill Class A amps that will heat your house for a 250
w/ch amp. Or even better, I had a Pass Zen single ended MOSFET amps,
that dissipated something like 300 watts for a 7 watt per channel amp.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
Severian wrote:

Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

I think that just about every audiophile would consider $20k for a pair
of speakers to be "expensive".
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Severian wrote:

Errr...not to interrupt your ignorant rant, but the B&O speakers are
active, biamped speakers.

They are active biamped speakers with a standard DIN connector for line
input. Get a cable with an RCA on one end, and a DIN connector on the
other. Plug one into the output of your preamp, the other into the
speaker. Problem solved.

And guys, in the future try not to crosspost to so many groups. rec.audio.pro
is about audio production and really isn't a good place to ask questions
about consumer gear.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Severian" wrote in message...

you actually have to be successful

But lack class, common sense, or have any comprehensible needs
that actually need to be filled by product... just the expendable money
that comes with "success". Very brilliant.

and have a sense of style and taste to want them.

In other words, be foolish enough to buy a salesman's line of ****,
let him/her convince you that your are actually hearing something
that you probably aren't, and be willing to boast to your friends that
you spent more money for nothing than they did. Yup, that "style"
all right... all the style of a pile of horse manure.

Moron.

Exactly.... a moron with money.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:13:16 -0700, Jenn wrote:

In article ,
Severian wrote:

Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

No. There are idiots out there that build boxes, and actually want
"rich" retards to believe that they are carrying $125k worth of
engineering and transducer gold... per speaker.

There are dopey ****tards out there paying $27k for a pair of cables to
their "speakers".

Goddamned snake oil susceptible dip****s that buy illusions of quality
and performance.

I stand by my statement: JUST ABOUT every audiophile would consider
$20k for a pair of speakers to be "expensive".
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:47:49 -0400, Severian wrote:

Most people never get to hear B&O in the proper listening environment.

Bwuahahahahahaahah!

Now, none of us qualify for that capacity either.

**** you, you absolute ****ing retard!

Nice to see you've hit your proper level of eloquence. You kiss your
mother with that mouth?
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
"Severian" wrote in message...

you actually have to be successful

But lack class, common sense, or have any comprehensible needs
that actually need to be filled by product... just the expendable money
that comes with "success". Very brilliant.

and have a sense of style and taste to want them.

In other words, be foolish enough to buy a salesman's line of ****,
let him/her convince you that your are actually hearing something
that you probably aren't, and be willing to boast to your friends that
you spent more money for nothing than they did. Yup, that "style"
all right... all the style of a pile of horse manure.

Moron.

Exactly.... a moron with money.

Hey, I understand the whole wealth and taste envy thing...you little
people seem to revel in it. But hey, particleboard is great eh??
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Severian Severian is offline

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Severian wrote:

Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

I've heard ones a lot pricier, and I'm sure you have too. Wilson Audio
comes to mind, as does Genesis, Martin Logan, etc. Add the price of the
amps and cables and such and you can hit astronomical levels pretty
quickly.

I paid a bit over $2k for my Beolab 8000's. I know a lot of people
who've spent that much or more on smallish monitors and stands, not
counting amps and not gotten better sound. If you want to play the
biamp/active xover game, it can hit much higher than that pretty quickly
with decent electronics.

I never said they weren't expensive, but they fill a unique niche.
Unfortunately most people who do buy them won't set them up properly and
couldn't care less about serious listening. B&O does know acoustics and
speaker design quite well, if you're willing to put as much care into
positioning and such as you would with other brands.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:49:38 -0400, Severian wrote:

Laurence Payne wrote:
And do they sound good? The B&O systems I've come across have been
ovbiviously design-led (and I don't mean audio design:-). One has to
suspect they're idiosyncratic for the sake of it, not because an
engineer made a breakthrough that column speakers actually SOUNDED
better?

Oh right. I've just had a look at the brochure. This is HEAVY
"lifestyle" stuff :-) And those powered speakers have "2500 watts of
digital amplification". At least you wouldn't need central heating as
well.

They use highly efficient digital switching amps, and run very cool.
Unlike the overkill Class A amps that will heat your house for a 250
w/ch amp. Or even better, I had a Pass Zen single ended MOSFET amps,
that dissipated something like 300 watts for a 7 watt per channel amp.

You sound like a brainless twit. Mainly for buying such an inefficient
POS.

I didn't buy it, I built it from scratch, from one of Pass's articles.
One of those things intelligent and well educated people techies do for
fun. Was interesting, good experiment in single ended topology, and I
sold it for more than it cost me. Finding big enough heat sinks was a
challenge though.

But I understand your frustration, it must be tough when an iPod is the
most complex thing you know how to operate.

But thanks for playing...I'm sure your mother must be very proud. If you
could find your father he might be too.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

"Laurence Payne" wrote...
Severian wrote:
Errr...not to interrupt your ignorant rant, but the B&O speakers are
active, biamped speakers.

But I understand, B&O will be hard for people working at WalMart and
McDonalds to afford, you actually have to be successful and have a sense
of style and taste to want them.

And do they sound good? The B&O systems I've come across have been
ovbiviously design-led (and I don't mean audio design:-). One has to
suspect they're idiosyncratic for the sake of it, not because an
engineer made a breakthrough that column speakers actually SOUNDED
better?

Rather sounds like the European version of Bose.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

"Severian" wrote in message

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:

"Severian" wrote in message...

you actually have to be successful

Exactly.... a moron with money.

Hey, I understand the whole wealth and taste envy thing...you little
people seem to revel in it. But hey, particleboard is great eh??

Only when a salesman can shove it squarely where the consumer's
brain has been transplanted and the sun doesn't shine, lubricated
with generous doses of snake oil.

Have a nice day.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
Morgan Audio Media Service

Posted to rec.audio.pro

There's some sad kitties in the world. God bless us
every one.

Whatever we can do to keep their Negative Waves, Moriarty,
out of our newsgroup has got to be valuable. Trimming
headers is the forefront of the battle.

Just say No to crossposting from whack newsgroups.
Can I get an Amen?

And support your county Humane Society. Thus ends the
sermon.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 16:11:44 -0400, Severian wrote:

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:47:49 -0400, Severian wrote:

Most people never get to hear B&O in the proper listening environment.

Bwuahahahahahaahah!

Now, none of us qualify for that capacity either.

**** you, you absolute ****ing retard!

Nice to see you've hit your proper level of eloquence. You kiss your
mother with that mouth?

Your mother should be in prison for the crime of not flushing the piece
of **** that is you, the moment she shat you.

And here I thought we might have a decent flamewar, but you obviously
are 10 years old and take the short bus to school every day.

But, keep saving those pennies, you might be able to afford something
high end like Emerson in a few decades.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

Techies? You're a ****ing retard.

Was interesting,

It is a pussy boy's realm. Any first year electronics kid can do audio
well, dip****.

good experiment in single ended topology,

Like I said... bottom of the "skill level required" list.

Only because you found yet another dip****, just like yourself. That
only proves that you ****ing idiots run in pack. So do ferrell dogs.

Finding big enough heat sinks was a
challenge though.

Only because you have near zero resource location skills as well.

But I understand your frustration,

You understand nothing. You make **** up, and then expect folks to
believe your horse**** lines. For one thing, dumb****, I am not
frustrated. You, however, appear to be just that.

it must be tough when an iPod is the
most complex thing you know how to operate.

I work on the most sophisticated electronic gear on the planet,
dip****.

Also, I wouldn't buy an Apple product if even a twit like you paid me.

But thanks for playing...

Sorry, dip****, but your petty little jabs here are even close to being
good enough for you to pull that line off. Got any more gang boy
retarded horse**** to fling, boy?

I'm sure your mother must be very proud.

Your mother is a piece of **** criminal for letting you remain the
infestation you are in the world.

If you
could find your father he might be too.

If I could find you, I would allow you to shake hands with the fast
moving piece of lead you deserve, because when it comes to retarded
little pieces of **** like you... I am a lead farmer, mother****er!

Wow. I didn't know they had internet connections in Gitmo Lite in
Denver. The police untie your hands and stop tasing you long enough for
you to write this tripe?
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

Not in Denver, you retarded ****.

I wouldn't expect a sub 30 IQ retard like you to get it though.

The funniest part of all this is that there are "cheap" level speakers
out there that are better than the CRAP B&O puts out.

You are just a ****ed off little twerp that needs to justify your
pathetic choice by claiming that they are "high end". You display this
the most when your brand is attacked. Pathetic, really, you are.

C'mon, fess up. You're typing this at the public library before they
throw you out and you have to crawl back to your cardboard box under the
expressway.

And I'm hardly ****ed off, more amused and curious as to how long I can
keep you replying to my posts before your limited attention span has you
wandering off and playing in traffic again.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
The Mighty TB The Mighty TB is offline

"StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt" aka "DoucheMatter" farted:

I can surely rest in the knowledge that I am superior to a little punk
**** retard like you.

I have done more in the last year to make the world a better place than
you will in your entire, pathetic life, you little piece of ****.

If you weren't such a comically angry freak, a (very) small percentage of
your points would actually elicit a positive response. As it is, you come
across as such a mentally unstable weirdo, you could say the Earth is round
and the sky is blue and be met with derisive laughter.

T.B.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message

And support your county Humane Society

What's a little fun now and then.... :-)

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
The Mighty TB The Mighty TB is offline

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt" aka some worthless, unstable psycho farted:

I can surely rest in the knowledge that I am superior to a little punk
**** retard like you.

I have done more in the last year to make the world a better place than
you will in your entire, pathetic life, you little piece of ****.

If you weren't such a comically angry freak,

You're a goddamned idiot, and your observation proves it. There is no
anger.

Do you really think I give a fat flying **** about receiving a
"positive response" from any dip**** that Usenet has to offer?

As it is, you come
across as such a mentally unstable weirdo,

I have a feeling that your unsolicited, unprofessional, unqualified
assessment is just that... completely worthless. Your capacity to make
such assessment hovers near nil.

you could say the Earth is round
and the sky is blue and be met with derisive laughter.

Yeah, I laugh at ALL of you ****tards too. My toejam has more on the
ball than most of you twerps do. Weirdo?

**** off... then die, you retarded little know nothing *******.

Oh, did I forgot to mention you're easy to manipulate to get the always
laughably psychotic response from?

Heh, I rest my case.

T.B.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

You're a goddamned retard, and this stupid crack illustrates that fact
perfectly.

You're typing this at the public library before they
throw you out and you have to crawl back to your cardboard box under the
expressway.

Folks that are living under expressway overpasses have more on the ball
than a retarded, know nothing **** like you does.

And I'm hardly ****ed off,

No... You got ****ed on, dip****. There is a difference.

more amused and curious as to how long I can
keep you replying to my posts

Ah... the dope now thinks he is trolling me. Any more of your
clueless twit gems for us?

before your limited attention span has you
wandering off and playing in traffic again.

Actually, your "speed" doesn't even rate you for that capacity.
You are about as pathetic as it gets. also noted is how you managed to
ignore all the responses I gave to your previously posted horse****. Good
job, boy. You admitted everything by not refuting anything.

My attention span is keyed toward satcom, and a pathetic little twit
like you doesn't even cause a glitch, despite how utterly stupid you are.

You give real audiophiles a bad name, little boy.

sigh This is what passes for intelligent discourse from the online
idiots of today. Sad when you think about it. I still remember the
halcyon days of ARPAnet, when flame wars were actually clever, witty,
and interesting. Sadly, nowadays, the best one gets is when immature
little twits like you drag yourself away from the crack pipe long enough
to barf out a string of profanities.

I bet you're the life of the party in person. Actually, you take it out
online because you're too much of a whiny little mouse to actually speak
up in person, and the frustration caused by the toxic combination of
your immaturity, cowardice, and self image issues causes you to haunt
usenet like a demented troll on meth.

If you had half the real world persona you display here, someone would
have shot you by now.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Nigel Barker[_2_] Nigel Barker[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:49:11 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:33:40 -0700, "The Mighty TB" partyslammer@sowcal.
ahrahr.com wrote:

[...]

You never had a "case", you retarded ****... or did you "forgot" that
too?

Wow! A Flame War! It makes me quite nostalgic for the old days of Usenet.
--

Cheers

Nigel Barker
Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

As if you were around "when it was ARPANET (yes, all caps, dip****)

when flame wars were actually clever, witty,

Is that what you call the pathetic, petty, adolescent level cracks you
have been making? Bwuahahahahaha!

and interesting.

You are about as "interesting" as a freshly laid turd.

Sadly, nowadays, the best one gets is when immature
little twits like you drag yourself away from the crack pipe long enough
to barf out a string of profanities.

I'd bet that a retarded **** like you knows far more about crack than I
ever will.

I ride a bike over 30 miles a day, so I seriously doubt I could express
such stamina under such a dependence Then I put in a days work, doing
more in a few days to make the world a better place than you will in your
entire, pathetic life. You are transparent, SeveriTard.

Bwuahahahahaha!

I bet you're the life of the party in person.

I bet your skull is at least two inches thick.

Actually, you take it out
online because you're too much of a whiny little mouse to actually speak
up in person,

There you go with more of those wussy boy E-1 grade, zero credence
"assessments". You need to graduate beyond the peanut gallery before you
can try to pull that dumb ****, boy.

and the frustration caused by the toxic combination of
your immaturity, cowardice, and self image issues causes you to haunt
usenet like a demented troll on meth.

You sure seem to express some presumably in depth knowledge of "crack"
and "meth". One wonders what a look at you hair follicles would yield.

You are transparent, you gang boy retarded **** pussy.

If you had half the real world persona you display here, someone would
have shot you by now.

I put plenty of retarded **** pussies like you in there place ITRW as
well, dip****. Don't get your bloomers in a bunch, laddie.

Wow, you ride a bike that far? Takes a long route to collect enough
aluminum cans for your daily fix doesn't it?

Face it, the only way you could make the world a better place would be
for you to commit seppuku. I'm sure you could manage to dig up a spork
in the 7-11 to speed you on your way.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

ahrahr.com wrote:

[...]

I'm doing my best, but it's hard when the other guy is so dense and
repetitive. :-)

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
BlueBuyYoo BlueBuyYoo is offline

ahrahr.com wrote:

[...]

This isn't a flame war. It's Mrs. Pipe hijacking yet another thread so
that she can have a public forum for her unmedicated rants.

Notice how all references to the original discussion have been dropped
and Mrs. Pipe is in full abuse mode. She is totally incapable of having
any kind of rational discussion.

And she wonders why alt.video.dvd is dead.

Now, cue the retard/****tard/FOAD/gang boy/little girl/I make the world
a better place/I am so intelligent/ standard pathetic reply.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

In alt.home-theater.misc Severian wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

Agreed. The BeoLab 5 -- the big self-powered ones that look like Daleks, with
on-board room-correction DSP -- were very well reviewed by several sources not prone to
flooby (e.g. The Audio Critic). And B&O claims to use panels of listeners in
its designs, so it can't all be about looks.

B&O was once famous for amazing-looking but just OK sounding turntables, so maybe
that's where the bias comes from.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

Laurence Payne wrote:
[...]

B&O actually has a listening panel of about a dozen employees, with more
alternates. They pay them to go to about a dozen concerts a year, all
types of music, so that their ears stay attuned to real music, and they
use blind testing methods. Which indicates to me they take such things
as sound quality seriously.

I think a lot of their previous stuff, particularly the non-active
speakers, while good were more limited in the performance/style tradeoff
than the more recent stuff. I agree, I think their gear from back in the
70's and 80's influence the way they are viewed, although their
receiver/amps and such were always quite good, it wasn't until they went
with the active speakers that they got a huge jump in sound quality. I
have a B&O table, works fine for my uses, but you lose a lot of the
tweakability that turntable people value so much. Being a very
conservative company, the are also sometimes slow to adopt new
technology, when the CD came out it took years before they had a CD
player. Being a small company and since they put so much emphasis on
design, I think they want to make sure a piece of new tech will be
around for a while before jumping in. I guess they avoided the whole
Elcasset, Beta, MiniDisk, Digital Cassette fiascos that way.

The newer technology of Class D ICE amps, digital room EQ, and active
speakers, have really boosted their performance, but they are indeed
still pricey. I have a couple of B&O corded phones, overpriced, but they
sound (and the mike picks up more clearly) than any other phone I've
ever had, so I tend to use them for long distance calls and such.

Look like Daleks...LOL! I hadn't actually thought of that, but you're
right! EXTERMINATE!!!
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
R. Mark Clayton R. Mark Clayton is offline

"Mario" wrote in message
[...]

Face it pal you have bought a proprietary system that is proprietary for one
simple reason - to keep you tied into the particular manufacture and their
sky high prices forever.

If there was some technical reason for being non standard (like the
excellent Quad electrostatic speakers) then fair enough, otherwise they are
just ripping you off.

Once upon a time (early 70's) B&O were market leaders, but now they just
take the proverbial. Ditch their stuff and buy something that works like it
is supposed to.

btw

The amplification is in one place in most hi-fi system designs with
reason: -

1. Long runs to the speakers are pretty noise immune.
2. All the amplification shares the same power supply.

I am all for decent hi-fi, but unfortunately the industry is still plagued
by absolutely steaming bull****. For example I bought a copy of What Hi-Fi
recently to see what the latest AV amps can do. Amusingly there is a group
test on digital cables. These are typically a meter long and carry a low
rate encoded audio signal from a CD player to the amp. Prices run to £75
and the reviewers can hear differences*! Of course this PC runs a reliable
8mbps link from my local exchange down 5km of decades old, needle thin,
corroded, wet (in places) and badly connected wire in various metals. When
it was analogue it was low bandwidth, high noise with crackles (especially
when it rained). Once on ISDN there was no noise (unchanged bandwidth
unless you linked two channels) and it would run for months without a bit
error. Now it is on ADSL. I just checked and I got less than ten errors in
the last 24 hours including a thunderstorm that would certainly upset the
B&O. Radio 3 sounds the same as FM or satellite...

* really! Once the clock is recovered and data extracted even an
oscilloscope couldn't spot a difference.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Mario" wrote in message
[...]

You also are completely ignorant of B&O products. The amplified speakers
have both 5 pin DIN and RCA connectors on them, to allow compatibility
with either format, so are hardly proprietary. As for your comment about
noise, the main reason active speakers haven't been embraced is because
companies want to sell you both an amp and speakers and get you to churn
them more. The performance advantages of active speakers are not minor.

You can easily run long runs of good RCA cable without noise intrusion,
many audiophiles have monoblocks behind each speaker, as long line level
runs don't have the same problems as long speaker runs.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
R. Mark Clayton R. Mark Clayton is offline

"Severian" wrote in message
m...
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Mario" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a Bang OlufsenTV surround audio system Beosystem

SNIP
[...]

Other parts of this thread talked about "5 pin Beolink", which defintiely
sounds proprietary, even if they do use DIN connectors.

As for your comment about noise, the main reason active speakers haven't
been embraced is because companies want to sell you both an amp and
speakers and get you to churn them more.

? Few makers produce amps and speakers for separate sale, and even if they
do only a minority buy both from the same source. I have Mission speakers
and I suppose I could have bought a Mission amp, but I didn't and I have
never seen one outside a catalog. Au contraire of course B&O do pitch to
get you to buy everything from them.

The performance advantages of active speakers are not minor.

You can easily run long runs of good RCA cable without noise intrusion,
many audiophiles have monoblocks behind each speaker, as long line level
runs don't have the same problems as long speaker runs.

Such runs would need to be well shielded.

I suppose that if the speakers are far away in another room (I have some
lightweights direct wired in my conservatory), it may be easier just to send
line level signal and use a local amp.

In the future I suppose speakers will just plug into cat5e or cat 6 cabling
(or wireless) like everything else and simply be told what they are (e.g.
left rear surround), link up and play that.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Severian" wrote in message

Other parts of this thread talked about "5 pin Beolink", which defintiely
sounds proprietary, even if they do use DIN connectors.

B&O have their own, proprietary connector topology for reasons they
obviously think are valid. The Beolink carries left, right, ground, and
power on signals (it really only uses 4 of the 5 pins). You tell the
speaker which to respond to, L or R, with a switch. Simplifies runs when
the speakers are a long way away from the source, one wire to one
speaker, another from that speaker to the next. They are well shielded,
I've never encountered noise or hum using them, and for longer runs they
have what they call Beolink, which is a balanced topology (as everything
should be anyway if performance and noise rejection were priorities). I
have a Beolink run that runs almost 200 feet, on top of several mains
lines and next to a transformer and get no noise or hum. You could
accomplish the same using XLR connectors and a balanced topology as is
done in a lot of pro and studio audio gear.

As for your comment about noise, the main reason active speakers haven't
been embraced is because companies want to sell you both an amp and
speakers and get you to churn them more.

? Few makers produce amps and speakers for separate sale, and even if they
do only a minority buy both from the same source. I have Mission speakers
and I suppose I could have bought a Mission amp, but I didn't and I have
never seen one outside a catalog. Au contraire of course B&O do pitch to
get you to buy everything from them.

I've seen active loudspeakers attempt to make market penetration
numerous times over the past 3 decades I've been paying attention. Each
time they were less than successful not because of the merit of the
products, but it was always hard to get stereo stores to sell them, as
they liked selling amps and speakers separately. And people who didn't
understand the benefits of active crossovers and amps and such also
seemed to like playing the mix and match game. This was, and is, driven
also by the audio press, with lots of lurid prose about the sound of one
amp vs. another, and how this speaker works with this amp and such. The
audiophile rags are particularly egregious about this.

The only two companies who have managed to go with active speakers and
keep them successful are Meridian and B&O, both undoubtedly because they
tend to sell complete systems and have somewhat closed architectures
(although they do integrate with other components). I think that, given
the market, only companies with a whole system approach (Naim used to be
this way as well) can really sell such speakers.

The performance advantages of active speakers are not minor.

You can easily run long runs of good RCA cable without noise intrusion,
many audiophiles have monoblocks behind each speaker, as long line level
runs don't have the same problems as long speaker runs.

Such runs would need to be well shielded.

True, which leaves out many "audiophile" unshielded interconnects.

I suppose that if the speakers are far away in another room (I have some
lightweights direct wired in my conservatory), it may be easier just to send
line level signal and use a local amp.

In the future I suppose speakers will just plug into cat5e or cat 6 cabling
(or wireless) like everything else and simply be told what they are (e.g.
left rear surround), link up and play that.

That would be an ideal way of doing it, going digital would eliminate a
lot of problems with ground loops, noise, shielding and such. We can
hope it'll get here someday, and there will be Luddite audio companies
resisting it even though it is logical and high performance. They'll
also try and sell you special digital interconnects for this that have
all the electrons aligned precisely so as not to interfere with the
digital signal bits.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

In alt.home-theater.misc StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:40:21 +0000 (UTC), Steven Sullivan
wrote:

Agreed. The BeoLab 5 -- the big self-powered ones that look like Daleks, with
on-board room-correction DSP

Bwuaahahahahahha

1 That's it... let a bunch of idiots mutate (read enjunear)the sound you
hear into something else!

You're rather ignorant, aren't you?

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Agreed. The BeoLab 5 -- the big self-powered ones that look like Daleks, with
on-board room-correction DSP

Bwuaahahahahahha

1 That's it... let a bunch of idiots mutate (read enjunear)the sound you
hear into something else!

You're rather ignorant, aren't you?

I think it goes way beyond ignorant. Ignorant can be cured, massively
stupid and insane can't.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

In article ,
Severian wrote:

I think it goes way beyond ignorant. Ignorant can be cured, massively
stupid and insane can't.

AGGRESSIVELY stupid and insane is even worse.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.home-cinema,rec.audio.pro
Severian Severian is offline

howldog wrote:

wrote:

Agreed. The BeoLab 5 -- the big self-powered ones that look like Daleks, with
on-board room-correction DSP

Bwuaahahahahahha

1 That's it... let a bunch of idiots mutate (read enjunear)the sound you
hear into something else!

who the **** cares what it originally sounded like? If the speakers
change the sound, and it sounds better to you, then it IS better.

would be nice if you could turn the DSP off, just to hear it without.

Actually, I think you can. The speakers include a microphone on a stalk,
you run a calibration run with the mic close to the speaker, and then
run it with it at a distance, and then the speaker calibrates. And the
DSP is, if I remember correctly, applied only in the bass, so you can
apparently erase the calibration and start over. I know in the room I
heard them in, I would have expected poor bass response, the room was
the type I would have associated with not being good for deep bass but
having a midbass bloom, but the speakers were very flat, no apparent
frequencies boosted over others, and the went low enough to untie your
shoelaces. Extremely tight but went incredibly deep, and were effortless
sounding at spls that were borderline painful.

A lot of people who buy B&O do so for the appearance and lifestyle
attributes, that's their right, if it serves their needs, who am I to
tell them otherwise. But often they put the speakers in places that
audiophiles would call non-optimal. They still sound pretty good, as
good as anything would placed like that, but if you do put the same
effort in placement as an audiophile would with other speakers, my
experience has been that the results are excellent.

The ability of my Beolab 8000's to image, both left and right and depth,
have only been matched to me by dipolars like Magnepan, Quad, and the
old Dahlquist DQ10s. They don't have quite as much depth, some would say
they don't have the exaggerated sense of depth dipolars can have, but
they also don't have the placement issues, much less room sensitive.
Treble clarity, and midrange clarity, are also excellent. I've heard
very expensive monitors that didn't equal them in these regards. For me,
given that I have a problematic room for dipolars, and for largish
speakers in general, and given the extremely small footprint of the
Beolabs, these were ideal speakers for me. They had the depth and
imaging and smoothness I wanted without the room issues. So I actually
spent my own money on them, which is as high a compliment as I can give
them I guess.