Posted to rec.audio.pro
DaveBro DaveBro is offline

Default Help with ADAT (!) signal routing

Hi All,

Been a while (like years) since I've been on here. My apologies for
dropping in and demanding info, but...

I'm bringing up an old recording setup that has not been used for a
while, but is basically in the state I left it, and I'm having trouble
monitoring the ADAT output. The signal chain is:

MIC ==
PREAMP ==(analog)==
MYTEK_A/D ==(ADAT_digital)==
ADAT ==(balanced_analog)==
MIXER ==
PHONES

So basically using the digital ADAT output from the Mytek, running it
into the ADAT, and wanting to monitor what's going to tape. Easy,
right?

The problem is I can hear audio coming through the ADAT (and see
activity on the ADAT meter) only when ALL INPUT monitoring is on, AND
the channel is NOT record-enabled. When either of those conditions is
absent, I hear nothing and get no activity on the meter. Obviously I
can't record under these conditions!

I could swear this config worked for me before, so I'm wracking my
brain here. The fact that I can hear audio through the chain (under
those conditions) means that the basic connections are OK, so it has
to be a problem with routing within the ADAT. I must have learned some
trick that I can't remember now. BTW, I have the ADAT taking its clock
from the digital input (i.e. the Mytek is supplying it). The display
shows that it's locking fine.

Any ADAT experts out there who can help? Thanks in advance.

Dave
Posted to rec.audio.pro
DaveBro DaveBro is offline

On Sep 14, 11:04*pm, DaveBro wrote:

Any ADAT experts out there who can help? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Forgot to mention: it's an ADAT XT20.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Sep 15, 12:32*pm, DaveBro wrote:
On Sep 14, 11:04*pm, DaveBro wrote:

Any ADAT experts out there who can help? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Forgot to mention: it's an ADAT XT20.

Is there a recordable tape fully inserted ?
i.e. one that has an intact lockout tab ?

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

i.e. one that has an intact lockout tab ?

and has been formatted ...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
DaveBro DaveBro is offline

On Sep 16, 9:46*pm, RD Jones wrote:
i.e. one that has an intact lockout tab ?

and has been formatted ...

Yes, there's a tape in the bay. Definitely formatted. Will have to
check the lockout tab, but I *never* remove them so I assume it's
there.

Thx,
Dave