Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] paramindsoftware@gmail.com is offline

Default Adobe Audition recording problem

I realize this might not be the greatest "pro" question, but here
goes.

I'm recording with Adobe Audition and getting a cut-off frequency line
in my waves when finished.
The levels are always peaking out at a certain frequency, instead of
just being the usual
jaggedness that true sound is recorded at. This is happening at
whatever I set the level to.

I'm using Audition 1.5.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:42:44 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I realize this might not be the greatest "pro" question, but here
goes.

I'm recording with Adobe Audition and getting a cut-off frequency line
in my waves when finished.
The levels are always peaking out at a certain frequency, instead of
just being the usual
jaggedness that true sound is recorded at. This is happening at
whatever I set the level to.

I guess the levels are clipping at a certain amplitude, not frequency.
But I know what you mean :-)

How are you adjusting the record level? You're obviously consistently
overloading. Do you understand that the only level control that
matters is the one BEFORE the signal hits your soundcard? If the
input is overloaded there's nothing that can be done inside the
computer to rescue it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 15, 7:46 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
wrote:
I realize this might not be the greatest "pro" question, but here
goes.

I'm recording with Adobe Audition and getting a cut-off frequency line
in my waves when finished.

How are you looking at the spectrum?

The levels are always peaking out at a certain frequency, instead of
just being the usual
jaggedness that true sound is recorded at. This is happening at
whatever I set the level to.

What is that frequency? Is it... say... about half the sample rate?

I'm just using the wave view. It is about 8 db. I'm not a trained
engineer so not sure if it is half the sample rate

I'll check to see if somehow it's coming from my EQ that way.
I'm wondering if it's some kind of software setting but I didn't
actually change anything.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net
Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music
http://www.rspearson.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
I'm just using the wave view. It is about 8 db. I'm not a trained
engineer so not sure if it is half the sample rate

The horizontal ("X") dimension is *time*.
The vertical ("Y") dimension is *amplitude* (loudness).
NEITHER dimension is "frequency". It doesn't sound like
your problem has anything to do with *frequency*. Either
the sample-rate frequency or the signal frequency.

It would be extremely helpful to post a few seconds of sample
WAV file (etc.) somewhere where we could see/hear it.

It sounds like the *amplitude* (loudness) is being "clipped"
(perhaps at -8dB?). As others have observed, you likely
are clipping the signal at some point in your audio path
*before* it gets to your computer and Audition.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

wrote in message
I realize this might not be the greatest "pro" question, but here
goes.

I'm recording with Adobe Audition and getting a cut-off frequency line
in my waves when finished.
The levels are always peaking out at a certain frequency, instead of
just being the usual
jaggedness that true sound is recorded at. This is happening at
whatever I set the level to.

Are you having some kind of feedback where audio out from your soundcard is
somehow routed back to audio in while recording? This would explain the
"happens at whatever level" symptom. Sound then is probably pretty 'hollow'
to, apart from being distorted.