SAR

Default Microphone -> Computer Problem

Hello, I need some help. I want to do some simple voice recording on
my
computer; nothing super-grade quality, but certainly not poop. I had
a crappy $5 labtec mic that worked fine, but just wasn't delivering
crisp quality. I went out and bought a $50 dynamic mic from radio
shack.

Here's my prob: While the labtec worked fine, the new mic's volume was
too low, so I enabled "Microphone Boost" from my soundcard's
properties, and now it sounds fine when it's just played through my
computer speakers. HOWEVER, when I record (using Goldwave or Sound
Forge) there is a high-pitched squeal/hiss combo that plays throughout
the entire recorded time. I can get rid of it using a combination of
noise reduction filters post-recording, but this just affects the
sound in ways I want to avoid.

My question is this, I have a Yamaha RX-V795 Reciever (I don't think I
can do this, but I figured I could ask the pros here), it doesn't have
any mic inputs, but has a plethora of others. I know a good deal
about consumer-grade audio equipment, and already have it hooked up to
my computer if I want it to be, but I really know nothing about
microphones and recording. Is there anyway I can hook my mic up to
the reciever and use it as sort of pre-amp for recording on my
computer so I can avoid using the Microphone Boost with the mic jack?

Any help appreciated. I want to avoid spending a lot of money here,
otherwise I would just go get a pre-amp and better soundcard, so I
don't need those as suggestions.

Thanks.

System:
Asus a7v333 w/ integrated C-Media CMI8738
Lee Salter

SAR wrote in message . ..
Hello, I need some help. I want to do some simple voice recording on
my
computer; nothing super-grade quality, but certainly not poop. I had
a crappy $5 labtec mic that worked fine, but just wasn't delivering
crisp quality. I went out and bought a $50 dynamic mic from radio
shack.

Here's my prob: While the labtec worked fine, the new mic's volume was
too low, so I enabled "Microphone Boost" from my soundcard's
properties, and now it sounds fine when it's just played through my
computer speakers. HOWEVER, when I record (using Goldwave or Sound
Forge) there is a high-pitched squeal/hiss combo that plays throughout
the entire recorded time. I can get rid of it using a combination of
noise reduction filters post-recording, but this just affects the
sound in ways I want to avoid.

There is a significant difference between the Labtec (an electret
condensor) and the RS dynamic. Electrets have a built-in circuit
which tends to make them a bit hotter than dynamics, in general. This
difference requires the additional gain for the same record level.
The electrets also require a source of dc voltage, which is supplied
by the sound card. I'm not sure of the wiring of a sound card mic.
jack (it might be either a 2 or 3 circuit jack), but I have used a 2
circuit plub on my Soundblaster with no ill effects. It is possible
that this voltage, which is not used by a dynamic is the source of the
problem. The sound card has an unbalanced input and the $50 RS mic.
is basically a balanced mic. being wired in a unbalanced manor.
The average sound card supplied with the average computer, will have a
tendency to pick up internal system noise with the microphone gain
turned up high.

My question is this, I have a Yamaha RX-V795 Reciever (I don't think I
can do this, but I figured I could ask the pros here), it doesn't have
any mic inputs, but has a plethora of others. I know a good deal
about consumer-grade audio equipment, and already have it hooked up to
my computer if I want it to be, but I really know nothing about
microphones and recording. Is there anyway I can hook my mic up to
the reciever and use it as sort of pre-amp for recording on my
computer so I can avoid using the Microphone Boost with the mic jack?

The use of an external preamp is a very good idea, but one without a
mic. input will very likely just trade one problem for another, that
is you will get rid of your original noise but you will likely pick up
other circuit noise using a preamp not designed for use with a
microphone.

Any help appreciated. I want to avoid spending a lot of money here,
otherwise I would just go get a pre-amp and better soundcard, so I
don't need those as suggestions.

You already know the answer, but it's not what you want to hear. A
small, cheap
DJ mixer with a mic. preamp, feeding the line (or aux) input of the
sound card, would likely cure your problems.

Lee Salter

Microphone info Steve P General 1 February 23rd 04 11:04 AM
Please help with a knotty cross-wiring problem Matthew Lonergan General 0 February 6th 04 09:12 PM
External Microphone for Camcorder MarkW General 1 November 16th 03 12:14 AM
Problem with "Clean Plus" Ken Palmateer General 0 August 23rd 03 06:27 PM
Technics SL1210 M3D turntable problem... Strutter General 1 July 13th 03 08:55 PM