Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Default wireless mic - two receivers

I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a wireless
microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is always a
pain. Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the same
microphone?

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet). I've
found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:42:08 -0400, Carey Carlan wrote
(in article ):

I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a wireless
microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is always a
pain. Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the same
microphone?

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet). I've
found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

No. It might help to have the receivers a bit apart, though.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a wireless
microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is always
pain. Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the same
microphone?

No.

Two transmitters operating on the same frequency at the same time in the
same place would of course be a problem.

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet). I've
found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

You seem to understand the hidden gotcha, getting a receiver that run in the
right frequency sub-band.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a wireless
microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is always
pain. Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the same
microphone?

No.

Two transmitters operating on the same frequency at the same time in the
same place would of course be a problem.

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet). I've
found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

You seem to understand the hidden gotcha, getting a receiver that run in
the right frequency sub-band.

Having a receiver that covers the proper frequency is only part of the
solution. There is likely another issue. Wireless microphone transmitters
compress the audio in order to increase the signal to noise ratio. The
companion receiver has a circuit that expands the audio, essentially undoing
what the transmitter has done, returning the audio to 'normal'. Make sure
the receivers you're looking at on Ebay are compatible with the G2
transmitter.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras Charles Tomaras is offline

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a wireless
microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is always
pain. Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the same
microphone?

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet). I've
found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

Thinking it would be cheaper and less of a headache to just buy a spare mic
splitter with a decent length split and wire it in permanently assuming the
Emcee generally uses the same input and the console is a permanent install.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:

I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a wireless
microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is always a
pain. Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the same
microphone?

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet). I've
found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

Aren't there two outputs on the existing receiver? IIRC, those have both
balanced and an unbalanced outputs that can be used simultaneously.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Ty Ford wrote in
al.NET:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:42:08 -0400, Carey Carlan wrote
(in article ):

I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a
wireless microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic
splitter is always a pain. Is there any gotcha to having two
wireless receivers for the same microphone?

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet).
I've found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

No. It might help to have the receivers a bit apart, though.

Not a problem. We'll be at opposite ends of the building. The church
hasn't realized that you want your wireless receiver as close to the stage
as possible, then run a wire to FOH.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"Steve King" wrote in
:

[...]

I'll be getting a receiver identical to the one the church uses.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"Charles Tomaras" wrote in
:

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a
wireless
microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is
always a
pain. Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the
same microphone?

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet).
I've found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

Thinking it would be cheaper and less of a headache to just buy a
spare mic splitter with a decent length split and wire it in
permanently assuming the Emcee generally uses the same input and the
console is a permanent install.

The proper solution is to wire the receiver into the existing patch bay and
avoid all this. Hasn't happened yet.

You just got me thinking. Better to buy an identical mic as well. That
way I can use it on other gigs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 8/15/2011 5:42 PM, Carey Carlan wrote:

Aren't there two outputs on the existing receiver? IIRC, those have
both balanced and an unbalanced outputs that can be used
simultaneously.

Neither of us want the unbalanced output in the RF chaos of Atlanta.

Put a transformer on the unbalanced output. That'll be
cheaper than another receiver. Or use a direct box. You
probably have one laying around. Give it a try at the next
service, or some time when there's nothing going on if you
can get access.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
.. .
As I recall both the XLR and the 1/4" outputs are balanced.

In which case it would pay to check they are not simply wired socket to
socket just to provide a single connection socket option. If so a proper
splitter would still be preferable.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:02:10 -0700, Steve King wrote
(in article ):

Wireless microphone transmitters
compress the audio in order to increase the signal to noise ratio.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

Not the ones using digital signals, including Lectro and Zaxcom (and I
believe some of the newest Shures). No more companding.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro

[...]

That's only common sense.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:
I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a wireless
microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is always a
pain. Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the same
microphone?

No, this is a reasonable approach.

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet). I've
found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

Make sure you get one designed for the transmitter being used. Everybody
uses the same frequency ranges but they don't always use the same companding
and emphasis.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Carey Carlan wrote:
I regularly record programs at a local church. The Emcee uses a wireless
microphone. Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is always a
pain. Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the same
microphone?

No, this is a reasonable approach.

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet). I've
found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

Make sure you get one designed for the transmitter being used. Everybody
uses the same frequency ranges but they don't always use the same companding
and emphasis.
--scott

Is there any chance of incurring squelch failure if using two receivers
for a single transmitter?

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"hank alrich" wrote in message

Is there any chance of incurring squelch failure if using two receivers
for a single transmitter?

No.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:
Is there any chance of incurring squelch failure if using two receivers
for a single transmitter?

No more than if you're using just one. Mind you it happens enough with
just one...
-scott

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

On Aug 15, 12:42*pm, Carey Carlan wrote:
I regularly record programs at a local church. *The Emcee uses a wireless
microphone. *Digging into the console to insert my mic splitter is always a
pain. *Is there any gotcha to having two wireless receivers for the same
microphone?

It's a Sennheiser EW 100 G2 (don't know the frequency range yet). *I've
found lots of receivers on eBay for $115.

I've done exactly this on a number of occasions, with the same
Sennheiser gear. I've had a speaker with a wireless lavalier, feeding
1) to the house via the AC-powered receiver, and 2) on the same freq
to the battery-powered receiver to feed a pro camcorder. No problems,
in a medium urban environment.

Used Receivers ? James Tech 13 November 8th 07 02:58 AM
8 Shure Wireless systems -beltpacks, receivers, guitar adapters, Beta 98HC clip-mics [email protected] Pro Audio 2 November 14th 05 10:16 PM
Shure Wireless System - 8 beltpacks / receivers / Beta98 mics / accessories [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 14th 05 01:35 PM
Req: Suggestions for Wireless Mic & Wireless In-Ear rack set-up Karsten J. Chikuri Pro Audio 6 September 7th 05 07:54 PM
wireless audio receivers EjP General 14 February 17th 05 03:44 PM