Carey Carlan

Default RAP5/3/10 Dave Martin & Bob Ohlsson

I would expect no less than a recording of this merit from Dave 'n' Bob.

Every time this song comes on I smile.

I don't think a recording like this could be made 'single tracking'.
There's just too much synergy betweens these performers to split them up.
Ty Ford

Default Revox PR99 MkII; Speed change

Last night Scott Dorsey, Mike Rivers, Richard Kuschel, John Vengouski myself
and several spouses had a wonderful Moroccan dinner in Washington DC.

Many things were discussed, oddly enough including audio.

One thing remains a question to me. There are hard-wired "speed selector"
jumpers on the PR99 Locator MPU Printed Circuit board. There's also a
notation about two different capstan diameters.

Has anyone ever downshifted a Revox PR99 from 7.5/15ips to a lower speed
using these jumpers? Was a new capstan required? Any thoughts would be
appreciated. The maintenance manual doesn't really go into it in detail.

Regards,

Ty Ford

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

David Satz

Ty Ford wrote:

Has anyone ever downshifted a Revox PR99 from 7.5/15ips to a lower speed
using these jumpers? Was a new capstan required? Any thoughts would be
appreciated. The maintenance manual doesn't really go into it in detail.

At the risk of being quite wrong, I'd extrapolate from the A 77 series
in which a new (smaller diameter) capstan was needed as well as new
record and playback amplifier PC boards when changing speeds. If not
installing new cards then at least a fair number of components would
need swapping around because of the different EQ curves.

Since there is some demand for the high speed model, while standard-speed
B 77s come up from time to time on the used market, it may be a lot easier
to sell yours and buy a unit that's already got the right parts in it.

--best regards
Edi Zubovic

On 18 Aug 2003 11:22:13 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

One thing remains a question to me. There are hard-wired "speed selector"
jumpers on the PR99 Locator MPU Printed Circuit board. There's also a
notation about two different capstan diameters.

Well, it must have been a Bon Appetite indeed.

As to the B77 and speed change by exchanging the capstan; I do it
sometimes just to bring some 38 cm/s tape into the PC. By changing the
normal speed capstan to the fat HS one, the following is what I
noticed (from purely mechanical point of view): -- The band does not
touch the tape guide before the capstan. The solenoids can't latch to
the end position but they do hold. So there is a change of sound when
they engage in comparison with the normal "clack" with the 19 cm/s
capstan. I think the capstan roller is under increased load (normal
pressure should be abt 1,5 kg when I remembered right). But the sound
is OK and at least here, I didn't notice some azimuth problems (I can
do posibble eq. corrections later in the PC).

I have both the motors of a PR99 and of a B77 MKII and there is indeed
the difference in motor housings ie. mounting plates; the bores for
screws at PR99 are slightly offset in comparison to the B77's which
are centered. So the capstan is offset slightly too. Now I don't know
whether the Low Speed version has an offset base plate but it may well
be so.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

PS. I just haver to exchange the Nvidia's Nforce2-based motherboard
for a VIA's one. I can't get rid of small glitches whatever I try and
until the exchange, I can't work at all. Looks like a PCI
transport/buffer problem. I did everything, even changed from ACPI
BIOS to "normal" but no help. Perhaps there's a hidden IRQ conflict
because Nforce2 presented me with some 25 "Interrupt Steerings"
instead of 4 at VIA!

The glitches when zoomed in look as the shark's teeth, awful! -- With
VIA everything was fine.

Ty Ford

In Article , Justin Ulysses Morse
wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:

Has anyone ever downshifted a Revox PR99 from 7.5/15ips

Hold it right there. If you sell your 7.5/15ips PR99, you should be
able to buy two or three lower-speed machines. I may have access to
one if you'd like to just trade.

ulysses

Hmmmm. I found a guy in nashville who worked for Studer Revox. $400 for the
conversion (plus shipping).

I'm going to wait to see if this job comes in that may require the 3 3/4ips
first, but thanks for the offer! What do you have?

Regards,

Ty Ford

BTW, it's not just about jumpers, as one might suspect. It is about capstan
size and EQ adjustments and bias adjustments and moving a belt to another
goove on the wheel. The jumpers just change the timing display.