Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Dual Voice Coil Question

I will start by saying the obvious answer to my question is to "just try
it". But in the interest of educating myself, I would appreciate some
information.

I recently bought 2 15" subs, each has dual 4 ohm voice coils. They are
both being driven by an Alpine Class D 850 watt amp (MRV-850, I think).
This mono amp is 2 ohm stable, yet there is no way to configure the four
voice coils to reach a 2 ohm load (I could connect all four in parellel but
that would be a 1 ohm load and I KNOW from experience I could damage the
amp). They are connected now so that my amp sees a 4 ohm load (through a
combination of parellel and series wiring).

The question I have is regarding the possibility of connecting just one
voice coil from each sub and wiring that to my amp, giving me a 2 ohm load
and more power from my amp.

HOWEVER, undoutedly there is a cost to doing this, like my subs become
capable of handling 1/2 the power they used to. As I recall from posts in
the past, the coils overlap each other on the former so I was thinking that
by doing this I wouldn't lose excursion. Or would I?

Basically, my question boils down to this; does the increased power produced
by a 2 ohm load exceed the benefits of having both coils connected.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

MOSFET