Peter B.

Default Suggestions on what cable to use inside a console.

Hello,
I need two conductor shielded cable for wiring inside my console and
to patchbays. There seems to be a lot out there to choose from. I'm
just afraid I'd pick the one where the insulation melts away while
soldering for two seconds, leaving the signal wire shorted to the
shield. Bad wire is so frustrating.

Belden and West Penn look like they have some quality products with a
decent price. Any favorite models by these two? Any suggestions of
other makes/ models?

Thanks,
Peter
EganMedia

Belden and West Penn look like they have some quality products with a
decent price. Any favorite models by these two? Any suggestions of
other makes/ models?

Belden 8451 and the west penn equivalent are nearly identical in how they are
to work with. I've used both and would use either one again. Both are cheap
(the west penn is cheaper) and will do the job.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

Techmeister

Not so Joe.

The West Pen is WAY lower quality and very variable. We dropped the line YEARS ago
due to that after being one of their largest dealers.

See my previous reply: Gepco blows away the Belden and sell for a few cents more
than West Penn

Techmeister

--
David 'db' Butler, Consultant
Acoustics by db
Techmeister

One of those rare time i will disagree with you Mike.

I love the sound of the Mogami (and I sell both, as well as canare) but i HATE
working with it. the cable is too soft, you HAVE to heatshrink it on most critical
installs or anything that moves.. It strips badly and melts easily. In large
multipins it is a total pain in the but.

Gepco makes an 8451 class wire (see prior answer) at a West Penn price AND a
high-res version, ALMOST as good as Mogami but cheaper and way easier to use.

NOW, all that said: when I run MIC LINES or LONG TIE LINES. I always suggest Mogami
or Canare, as they are noticeably better sounding on lower levels and longer runs.

Techmeister

aka David Butler

In article znr1059665844k@trad, (Mike Rivers) wrote:

In article
writes:

I need two conductor shielded cable for wiring inside my console and
to patchbays.

Mogami 2944. It's thin, easy to solder, and it's even called "console
cable."

just afraid I'd pick the one where the insulation melts away while
soldering for two seconds, leaving the signal wire shorted to the
shield.

Any PVC insulation will melt if you heat it too much, and you probably
don't want to pay for Teflon. But that Mogami stuff takes solder so
easily that melted insulation is never a problem. And there's a drain
wire, so you don't have to twist the shield into a third lead that's
fatter than the others.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

--
David 'db' Butler, Consultant
Acoustics by db
"...all the rest are just brokers"
now on the web at
http://www.db-engineering.com
Boston, Mass
Phone 617 969-0585 Fax 617 964-1590
Monte P McGuire

In article ,
Techmeister wrote:
I love the sound of the Mogami (and I sell both, as well as canare)
but i HATE working with it. the cable is too soft, you HAVE to
heatshrink it on most critical installs or anything that moves.. It
strips badly and melts easily. In large multipins it is a total pain
in the but.

I disagree. Their crosslinked polyethylene melts at a _lot_ higher
temperature than the polypropylene in 8451. I find it a lot easier to
work with, as long as you get a nice stripper like the Clauss No-Nik
stripper. The little yellow handled stamped metal stripper jobbies
won't work, and a razor blade isn't much better either.

I have a bunch of 2799 miniature star quad that works well, but the 4
conductor thing is admittedly a pain in the rear. They make two
conductor versions as well that are otherwise similar.

Best,

Monte McGuire

Some serious cable measurements with interesting results. Bruno Putzeys High End Audio 78 December 19th 03 03:27 AM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
Digital Audio Cable Question(s) Hugh Cowan High End Audio 11 October 8th 03 07:15 PM
Comment about speaker cables/interconnects Martin High End Audio 18 September 17th 03 04:07 PM
Quad snake cable Justin Ulysses Morse Pro Audio 8 July 3rd 03 05:10 PM