John Addington

Default Very weird voltage drop problem

I have a Sony amp + Stinger 1 Farad cap. powering one JLW6. Recently I am
having some weird problem.. in some day, when I started the amp (not even
play music yet) the amp. didn't start (the amp. internal protector kicked
in)!! So, I put a voltmeter between the +ve and -ve on the amp.
Surprisingly, the reading is around 7 v!!! Then, I put the voltmeter +ve
on the fuse (see photo), and -ve to the body of the car, it read 12V and
then all of a sudden everything worked fine.. the amp reading was back to
12V ??!!! That really annoyed me... Any of you expert experienced such odd
problem before?

Originally I thought it was my old cap problem, then I replaced with this 1
Farad cap (brand new in photo). Still got the problem in some bad days. Not
every day though... in some good days, the whole system worked perfectly..
weird..

See photo he
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/images/amp/amp.jpg

Thanks for any advice...

Paul Vina

Replace your fuse, they sometimes go bad at the connection and will do what
your is doing.

Paul Vina

"John Addington" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
[...]

Dave Batt

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

I've seen something like this before and it turned out to be dodgy ground
point on my transit van.

John Addington

Oh... you have seen this before.. I am glad that I am not alone. Maybe I
will try to replace the fuse, do you know what is the best chemical to clean
the connection point? WD-40??

Thanks again..

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

smullen

I can attest to this... I had a 4 ga cable running through a vehicle and
the same problem... A friend suggested changing the fuse, I thought the
fure is good, that will never help... It helped...

I have also seen the bad ground thing.. Cold solder joints or just bad
connection between groundwire and body.