Richard Blackwood

Default CD Recorder question.

Would it be possible to transfer vinyl or cassette collections onto CD using
a cd recorder instead of going through the rigmarole of connecting equipment
up to a PC etc. Or are cd recorders only able to copy CD CD?

Arny Krueger

"Richard Blackwood" wrote in message

Would it be possible to transfer vinyl or cassette collections onto
CD using a cd recorder instead of going through the rigmarole of
connecting equipment up to a PC etc.

Yes.

Or are cd recorders only able to copy CD CD?

No.

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:56:52 +0100, "Richard Blackwood"
wrote:

Would it be possible to transfer vinyl or cassette collections onto CD using
a cd recorder instead of going through the rigmarole of connecting equipment
up to a PC etc. Or are cd recorders only able to copy CD CD?

Plug to a CD recorder - plug to a PC. Why is one easier than the
other?

Do you HAVE a stand-alone CD recorder? It doesn't do anything a PC
system can't. Generally, it can do a lot less. You may be restricted
to using over-priced "audio" CD media. I can't see the point.
Richard Blackwood

wrote:

Would it be possible to transfer vinyl or cassette collections onto CD

using
a cd recorder instead of going through the rigmarole of connecting

equipment
up to a PC etc. Or are cd recorders only able to copy CD CD?

Plug to a CD recorder - plug to a PC. Why is one easier than the
other?

Do you HAVE a stand-alone CD recorder? It doesn't do anything a PC
system can't. Generally, it can do a lot less. You may be restricted
to using over-priced "audio" CD media. I can't see the point.

If I bought system seperates I thought I might buy a cd recorder instead of
an ordinary cd player and once it's initially set up, I could transfer
vinyl, tape collection over as & when I felt like it rather than moving
audio equip pc back and forth all the time.

anybody-but-bush

"Richard Blackwood" wrote in message
: ...
: wrote:
:
[...]

How would you name the tracks in a CD recorder? Is it going to be okay to play side 1 or side
2?
:
:

Carl Valle

"anybody-but-bush" Anybody But wrote in message
ink.net...

"Richard Blackwood" wrote in message
: "Laurence Payne" wrote in

message
: ...
: wrote:
:
[...]

Some CD recorders can number tracks by detecting silence. Doesn't work very
well at all.
You can number the tracks yourself but only in real time while you are
recording. And to make it worse, if you mess up you have to start over.

But I do use a CD recorder to copy vinyl like this..

Use a Audio CD-RW disc. Make a complete recording of side 1 of the disc. The
player will stop at the dead band at the end, or at least on the return if
you use a automatic turntable.
Stuff in another CD-RW and record side 2.
Load the waves into a computer and do the edits and possibly noise reduction
etc. in Sound Forge (or something like that).
Copy the waves to a CD-R audio disc using Nero (or something like that)
Erase and re-use the CD-RW's
The benefits a

No computer noise in the stereo system, or the disc.
No cables to deal with
Any sound card can be used
No tying up the computer for recording
The CD Recorder has better specs than a soundcard (some)
No expensive CD audio discs to buy
No running across the room to cue up a turntable
Cd recorder is also a pretty good CD player

I also use a KLH TNE 7000A pop and crackle filter, a Burwen DNF1201A noise
filter, and a Behringer MDX-1400 noise gate when I make the CD-RW. Often,
because the interselection bands are so quiet, I can get the proper tracks
divisions on the CD-RW and I don't have to use noise reduction on the
computer. I feel like the results are better with these analog components.

The filters need to be connected in the sequence above, otherwise pops will
cause the noise filter to pump. Of course if a pop does get through, you can
edit the wave file.

There is a downside to all of this and that is that whether you decide to
use a CD recorder or a computer, these are recordings that need to be done
in real time. If you have a large collection to convert, it can take a long
long time. I have decided to simply play my LP's and not convert them, but I
have several thousand.

If you don't want to spend the money on the harder to find and slightly more
expensive Audio CD's there are pro CD recorders that can use any kind of
disc. Perhaps they sound better also, but I doubt it.

With the price of computers these days you could even invest in a music
specific system, which may be a better value than all of the gear I listed
above. There are other machines such as audio workstations which record on
CD that do not neccessarily require a computer. Tascam makes one. There are
many choices.

Of course you will also need a turntable and a record cleanng machine. I use
a Pioneer PL-L1000 with a Grado Gold, or a Technics SL-D2 with a AT8008
Studio Referance, and a Vpi. For a preamp I like the Stax disc jockey mixer,
or my Kenwood C-1 which has MC inputs and nice tone controls. Yes, I do use
the tone controls and the subsonic filter and sometimes even the high cut in
the recording path. This means that the preamp outs feed the CD or computer
input. Lately I have been feeding this into a Sony DTC-700 DAT machine and
using it's AD converter to feed a toslink to my computer through an extigy
USB adapter. I record with Sound Forge (Sony) 7. In truth, all the methods
provide the same sound...

Have fun
Carl